• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm really conflicted

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I love how Wilson speakers look! I’d be very happy to own a pair of Alexia 2 one day, in the same high gloss purple finish as these puppies.

Screenshot-2019-12-03-at-11.33.46_result.jpg

You want that in your house??

I'd love to see what matching furniture you have in mind to go with it.

Tatteredmidnight

You seem to be really torn about what direction to head with your system as a whole. I’ve seen a number of your threads now and I feel your pain. Remember that there is no “right” answer. If you have the means and desire, just get what makes you happy! Best is just what makes you excited and brings you pleasure.

Honken

I love how Wilson speakers look! I’d be very happy to own a pair of Alexia 2 one day, in the same high gloss purple finish as these puppies.

Screenshot-2019-12-03-at-11.33.46_result.jpg
I can't help but think that it looks just like Purple Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle. I wouldn't want it in my home (in any color) but I am very, very curious as to how Wilsons sound in person.

Day-of-the-Tentacle-Free-Download-Mac-1.png

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You want that in your house??

I'd love to see what matching furniture you have in mind to go with it.
For sure I'd want them in my house. They can be setup to look good in a variety of decor's going by the google image searches. I suppose they look best on top of bare wood flooring, and the more visible hardwood in the picture, the better they tend to look. Just my opinion of course. As for the question "who would want" these speakers, I think it's safe to say a fairly large number of people. The Wilson WATT/Puppy is the best selling speaker of all time priced over $10K.

115929410_10159786125992656_4631043663125820693_o.jpg

71838299_10158705018932656_4068246894545993728_n.png

yes

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I can't help but think that it looks just like Purple Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle. I wouldn't want it in my home (in any color) but I am very, very curious as to how Wilsons sound in person.
Wilson speakers are finished like a high end automotive paint job. The various colors offered will shimmer and glint a different shade depending on the lighting of the room. They reccomend you wax the speaker surface once a year in the same way you'd wax your car. And like a high end car, they come with a gorgeous Snap-On tool kit.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can anyone recommended a sonically transparent cloth that I can place over my new Genelecs so I don't have to look at them? This is not a joke.

I've had a jersey (think stretchy t-shirt material) cotton "body pillow" case over the panels in my 'stats since new (1998).

The panel is about 18 x 48 inches, the pillowcase fits almost perfectly.

For protection, not optics.

Honken

Wilson speakers are finished like a high end automotive paint job. The various colors offered will shimmer and glint a different shade depending on the lighting of the room. They reccomend you wax the speaker surface once a year in the same way you'd wax your car. And like a high end car, they come with a gorgeous Snap-On tool kit.
I can appreciate the details and artisanry but I'm not a fan of the looks of the whole package. A more neutral color and smaller size definitely make them less dominating, and more palatable to me personally.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a jersey (think stretchy t-shirt material) cotton "body pillow" case over the panels in my 'stats since new (1998).

The panel is about 18 x 48 inches, the pillowcase fits almost perfectly.

For protection, not optics.
Ah your edit just answered my question.
next question was protection of dust or else ?

Ray, can you send me a picture of those please ?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I've been considering making the leap to actives as opposed to passives when the time comes. I've been favouring brands that let me choose a custom finish, so ATC and Kii 3 are very high up there on my list. I'm wondering, would a pair of Genelec W371A+8351 outperform the Kii 3+BXT modules? Why? I believe that Genelec is sold thru the pro market and as such you don't get the white glove after market treatment you do with the Kii 3. So no home delivery and fine tuning by the dealer for you. You will have to set them up yourself.

Costs wise, it seems the Genelec setup will cost about $10K less than the Kii one.

w371amm.png

vfc6fdl6jlu41.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been considering making the leap to actives as opposed to passives when the time comes. I've been favouring brands that let me choose a custom finish, so ATC and Kii 3 are very high up there on my list. I'm wondering, would a pair of Genelec W371A+8351 outperform the Kii 3+BXT modules? Why? I believe that Genelec is sold thru the pro market and as such you don't get the white glove after market treatment you do with the Kii 3. So no home delivery and fine tuning by the dealer for you. You will have to set them up yourself.

Costs wise, it seems the Genelec setup will cost about $10K less than the Kii one.

w371amm.png

vfc6fdl6jlu41.jpg
That these photos are in black and white is telling you something.;..........

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

w371amm.png

vfc6fdl6jlu41.jpg

I think you should perhaps start with a smaller budget.

I wouldn't suggest people straight out of college jump right into $10k speakers.

It's best to have a bit of a learning journey and work your way up over time.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That these photos are in black and white is telling you something.;..........

They have an appealing look, have them in many colours and you can test them at home they say, don't know the conditions though.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I think you should perhaps start with a smaller budget.

I wouldn't suggest people straight out of college jump right into $10k speakers.

It's best to have a bit of a learning journey and work your way up over time.
I'm young but I got into the hobby about 3 and a half years ago now. I've gone from KEF LS50 with a Denon AVR front end, to my end game system of a pair of JBL 4367 and a McIntosh front end. I plan to live with this current system for at least two more years. I just think its fun to think ahead.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom