• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion was generally about commenting about knocking things other that people like. Since you don't own it you have no idea if a well designed enclosure will make a sound difference.

So asking for a rationale is "knocking down"? People are free to like whatever they want - I was just wondering if there is a rationale, apart from aesthetics.

I can tell you that 20 years ago, my CD player sounded different on the floor than in an audio rack.

If you say so. I would fire the designer of that CD player.

Labjr

Major Contributor
So asking for a rationale is "knocking down"? People are free to like whatever they want - I was just wondering if there is a rationale, apart from aesthetics.

If you say so. I would fire the designer of that CD player.

You obviously are just forming opinions without actually experimenting or listening to anything. Thus no need to waste time with further discussion.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You obviously are just forming opinions without actually experimenting or listening to anything. Thus no need to waste time with further discussion.

You seem to jump to conclusions without any information, so yes, please do not waste our time with further speculation.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You fit the definition of internet troll.

Takes one to know one. I am actually interested in facts, doesn't seem like you do.

firedog

Ah, yes. I read a fair bit of that thread, and I still couldn't figure out what makes a case "audiophile" :)
Typical audiophiles will pay 2-3 times more for a component they think looks good and looks expensive; the people who post here aren’t typical audiophiles. Manufacturers are well aware of this, and purposely design in bling so they can sell the same internal box for much more money.
The ex head founder of Musical Fidelity said that through traditional retail distribution channels, the retail price of high end stuff with good looks - heavy machined case, expensive knobs -was as much as 70% due to cosmetics.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

If someone claimed that painting his formerly blue car red improved the 1/4 mile time, but doesn't offer any actual valid data to support it (just his assertion and possibly some gobbledygook about wavelengths and effective masses of photons and pigment particles), you might do best to smile, back away, and remember to never take his opinions about that sort of thing seriously.

Or you could paint your car red, take data, and wonder why the hell your 1/4 mile time didn't change.

Personally, I'd go with the former, and think anyone who did the latter was something of an idiot.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion was generally about commenting about knocking things other that people like. Since you don't own it you have no idea if a well designed enclosure will make a sound difference.

Ask recording engineer Barry Diament if placing a Metric Halo ADC/DAC box on isolation points sounds different, or if it sounds different on a granite vs marble shelf and see what he says?

I can tell you that 20 years ago, my CD player sounded different on the floor than in an audio rack.
Hi Lab!

Are there any measurements that show the gear performed differently? Or is this just an opinion?

However hard this is to accept . Once we know or we see or "know, we are biased. I have witnessed my audiophile friends mistaking a CD playing for the TT. I had turned both on and simply dropped the needle on an LP but it was the CD system playing. They all heard the warmth of analog ....... from the CD! They thought it was the TT playing....
Have you tried yourself ? Can you reliably distinguish, blind and Level-matched, AAC high Rate or mp3 320 kbps from original uncompressed .wav? Some here can, most of us blissfully can't. We, the majority thought for years that we could hear differences, even those between cables, too; once we subjected ourselves to a small degree of rigor we, painfully, then blissfully accepted, even embraced our failings ...

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that it isn’t really free to try every scheme that supposedly makes a difference. It takes time, and sometimes a lot of money. So it is completely reasonable, when someone puts forth an idea that makes little sense and can’t be measured, to ask for proof. If the difference were strictly audible, or measurable, anyone with a high margin product to sell would be throwing blind tests and measurements at you. Instead, most of the time they condescend, argue to authority, anger, invent pseudo-scientific reasons or invoke quantum uncertainty, and question basic scientific method.

I view that fact pattern as an indication that there is no strictly audible or measurable difference.

You could borrow a term from critical theory (which I think is mostly bollocks, btw). Call it Audiophile Fragility-characterized by a hysterically defensive reaction to requests for measurements or controlled evidence.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm , Did you happen to take any thermal pictures of this amp board and the SMPS1200 to see if it ran any cooler than the NC400/SMPS600 combo ?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@amirm , Did you happen to take any thermal pictures of this amp board and the SMPS1200 to see if it ran any cooler than the SMPS600 ?

I havent measured the actual temp but they run on the bench at "normal" listening volumes without any additional heatsinking, not even hot to touch.

g29

I havent measured the actual temp but they run on the bench at "normal" listening volumes without any additional heatsinking, not even hot to touch.

What about the SMPS1200 ? The SMPS600's transformer and inductor appeared to be cooking.

index.php

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What about the SMPS1200 ? The SMPS600's transformer and inductor appeared to be cooking.

index.php

As mentioned I havent measured them, but I havent noticed them as being particularly hot.

One thing to bear in mind is that whilst not ideal, those components shouldnt have significant issues with high temperatures.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Bruno Putzeys could you please share with us the THD+N x power graphs of the 1ET400A, in 8, 4 and 2 ohms, with the typical 100Hz, 1kHz and 6.67kHz colored lines? Thanks in advance! :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@Bruno Putzeys could you please share with us the THD+N x power graphs of the 1ET400A, in 8, 4 and 2 ohms, with the typical 100Hz, 1kHz and 6.67kHz colored lines? Thanks in advance! :)
I think I have them hang on.

Struggling to copy the plot as I'm on a tablet but essentially the distortion is flat across the range. At 100 watts thd is circa - 120dB

https://www.purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/

Last edited:

g29

@Bruno Putzeys , Can you give us some information about this amp's ability and performance in bridged mode (if it can be bridged) ?

g29

Hi @amirm , I think the first "without" should be "with" in your original post.

BTW, thanks for testing this board.

"You get full power with as little as 1.5 volt without the extra gain but need 11+ volts without it. "

Also FWIW, in Bruno's interview, I think he stated 9 Volts for full output.

"... So you can drive them with one output that delivers the full 9Vrms swing to one input and tie the other input to your source’s ground reference, or you can use two outputs that each deliver 4.5Vrms in opposite phase, or anything in-between for that matter. It’s the same: volts is volts, and it’s measured strictly between the input pins. ..."

Interview Questions with Bruno and Lars

Last edited:
Top Bottom