• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Only because they don't pay Amir enough.

I'll say. Does anyone realize how much it costs to maintain an Evil Villain Volcanic Island Lair?

amirslair.png

What with all the minions, henchman, and assassins. That's a big nut to crack every month.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If designing speakers was easy, Danny could do it.
Loved that line (made me snort). I have to try that one.
I customized my own by saying "If chickens had wings, they'd fly!" but no one gets it!:cool:
...Doesn't give you free reign to berate me...
@BKr0n, please let me know when a member berates you and I'll berate them back for berating you!
Deal?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I just started here a bit ago. I wanted to build a set of speakers as a neat little project to work on. I figured I don't have all the answers, and in some cases, don't even know the right questions to ask. I joined ASR because on other forums I noticed that a lot of analysis was more anecdotal instead of based on evidence. I have learned so much in the past 5 months. Everything from filter design, to analog vs digital, and even some enclosure design (I also didn't know what SINAD was before I joined). However, my biggest gripe has always been the condescension. Look... I will be the first to raise my hand and say "no, I don't know everything." I picked this hobby up because I love audio and thought maybe with a little education I would be able to make some of the things that sound really good instead of wringing my wallet out for them. But time and time again, I run into the same old situation. People who do know better and, instead of providing mentorship and learning, only provide further consternation and frustration. This isn't easy. Like... at all. It's hard. There is so much that goes into designing even just a set of studio monitors. I had no idea that there was this much depth. It doesn't help at all when I ask a question to tell me "I'm out of my depth" or "how do you not know this" or something else along those lines. It only makes it tougher, and even worse, makes the hobby far less attractive than when I first started. I don't know how. Fine. Doesn't give you free reign to berate me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing because I'm new.

Well i'll give you a hug so that you can feel more welcome! I think the vast majority of people on ASR with technical knowledge are engineers, and engineers are not exactly known for their people skills. They have forgotten what it is like to climb the learning curve. That might be the reason that ASR is the way that it is.

If you need input on DIY, there is an even better forum than ASR for that ... diyaudio.com. The amount of knowledge on that forum is also astounding, and in many ways it's even better than ASR and they are equally as objective. However they have a strong DIY focus and less of a "general audio science" vibe than ASR.

JPA

Forum Donor
I have two retorts of my own
:p

1) I actually found an online copy of 7th edition and I've been reading through that. Thinking about picking up 8th from Amazon so I can look over the added chapters.
2) Yes this is the internet. I have plumbed the depths of reddit and 4chan and have climbed the lofty summits of mt. Google. I know what to expect. However, this is our house. We (collective "we") can choose to be better, or not. Nobody says we're obligated to act a certain way.
I was very disappointed in the additional chapters in the 8th edition. Not worth the money over the 7th edition, IMO.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, this is Amir Majidimehr's house. Amir owns this site; he founded it and his money is what keeps it going. ;)

Jim
True - Amir owns, funds and runs the site. He can set the rules, direction and scope. He can invite or exclude anyone he wishes.

But the site is nothing without the membership. As such - we - all have a shared stake in it.

The problem is, despite the rumours to the contrary - we - are not a Borg Collective. We - deciding to do anything will never include everyone. All we can do is encourage welcoming behaviour, and make it less comfortable for those who are dicks.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no idea that there was this much depth. It doesn't help at all when I ask a question to tell me "I'm out of my depth" or "how do you not know this" or something else along those lines. It only makes it tougher, and even worse, makes the hobby far less attractive than when I first started. I don't know how. Fine. Doesn't give you free reign to berate me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing because I'm new.
So we can't tell you the truth?

Let's get the facts straight here: Your plan is to build an active bookshelf speaker, where basically every component is self-made: that includes a special high-rate ADC, companion DSP, digital motion feedback circuit, amps and let's not forget the physical design of the speaker itself. This is a truly massive undertaking, and some of these components alone would take years of knowledge and experience to pull off even half decently. So yes, if you come here with little knowledge, few requirements, and only half a plan, people will tell you that you are out of your depth and to maybe start with something simpler.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So we can't tell you the truth?

Let's get the facts straight here: Your plan is to build an active bookshelf speaker, where basically every component is self-made: that includes a special high-rate ADC, companion DSP, digital motion feedback circuit, amps and let's not forget the physical design of the speaker itself. This is a truly massive undertaking, and some of these components alone would take years of knowledge and experience to pull off even half decently. So yes, if you come here with little knowledge, few requirements, and only half a plan, people will tell you that you are out of your depth and to maybe start with something simpler.
This is even beyond many speaker companies abilities ?
A speaker cookbook wont help you .

I did something similar ( thought of building a "simple" passive speaker ) i bought several different textbooks on the topic and downloaded some software and concluded it was out my depth, it was fun to learn something of whats going into designing a speaker , but i slowly realised during the process that i needed so much. For example it can simply not be done without measuring equipment of some sort and the workshop to do several itrations of the woodwork for the boxes to try things out .

Building speakers has to be a hobby for it's own reward not the end result , you can not expect as newbie that you project will compare to professional products.
Several year and iterations later maybe at you 10'th projekt you migth starting to get the process of doing it :)

So It's a bit on the dunning kruger curve to assume that when i never build anything like this and my first attempt will be this really good speakers that no one has thought of building before .

There is a niche for DIY speakers that are not commercially viable products that can be really good , for example extremely large speakers designed to fit you acoustics , no one would sell that .

ON the other hand if your design idea does not exist commercially there is also the possibility that it's simply not a good idea to do it this way.
20652-01-dunning-kruger-effect-curve-for-powerpoint.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ON the other hand if your design idea does not exist commercially there is also the possibility that it's simply not a good idea to do it this way.
That is not the only option though. It may just not be something that many people are interested in, or may just be a really hard problem to solve, or more often: both

There is nothing wrong with learning new things and failing (or not ;) ). It's the journey that generally counts and it can be a fun learning experience. But setting such a high target can only lead to disappointment. It's much better to take smaller steps and let others guide you along the way. That way you'll get progressive insights into the various topics, that you would otherwise never have gotten, learn a lot more, and be disappointed less. You can plan your system to progressively add more complexity over time and do just one project at a time, not all of them at once. It will take longer, and maybe cost a bit more, but the rewards are there all the time.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
@BKr0n, please let me know when a member berates you and I'll berate them back for berating you!
Deal?
It would be better if he lets the Staff know and we will do our jobs. If you do this, it could end up that both of you get sanctioned. Taking the ASR Law into your own hands is very risky and we do not recommend this. Use the report function. Report the offense and let the Moderators do our Job.

We do very much appreciate the spirit of your offer and it shows that you care and want to be part of making this place better for everyone. So, Bravo Zulu for the sentiment expressed in your post. :cool:

Andysu

Major Contributor
I'll say. Does anyone realize how much it costs to maintain an Evil Villain Volcanic Island Lair?

View attachment 330498

What with all the minions, henchman, and assassins. That's a big nut to crack every month.
why are you thinking about being a , ASR henchman lol
tumblr_5276dec6b05ecd1144821ebec6028f42_2c84e8b0_500.gif

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's what engineers and audiophiles are doin' in our glorious digital world -- design stuff that doesn't/cannot work properly (e.g, tiny, unobtrusive but full-range loudspeakers) and then EQ and contour them into compliance with DSP. :)

;)
If people just believe hard enough, the laws of physics will be changed.

DonR

Major Contributor
Lord knows I am trying but sometimes I find the obstinance difficult.

Top Bottom