• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman is working on a new IEM target curve

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And to state the obvious, a few people posting in this non-busy thread does not make for an official position from ASR. Disappointed that it is expressed that way in above Tweets.

You probably could figure out total number of unique IP’s, then the total number of posters to get the % :)

F1308

Major Contributor
No need for further research...use Zero Red current response !!!!

:):)

markanini

Major Contributor
Strange that Dr Olive is lumping all of ASR together, I was certainly not one of those that took the tweet as some kind of admission of failure, only a few did that.
Hopefully he keeps reading to find out that ASR has no a policy of silencing opposing views for any reason. And this is different from consensus.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not much is know for the motivation to update it. But, I recon very little will change between 300-3kHz.

As before, the uncertainties of individual eardrum response will make compliance in highest octaves in not worth taking too seriously.
With the Nura (now Denon) automated individual ear adjustment system, there is really no reason for variation based on individuals ears....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the Nura (now Denon) automated individual ear adjustment system, there is really no reason for variation based on individuals ears....

@amirm

This is so interesting. We should test this to see what happens if you test it on your GRAS, then program it to the GRAS vs. programming it to your own ears.

oratory1990

Reviewer
@amirm

This is so interesting. We should test this to see what happens if you test it on your GRAS, then program it to the GRAS vs. programming it to your own ears.

The Nuraphones work with otoacoustic emissions - which is something that does not exist on ear simulators. So I suspect you wouldn't get meaningful results measuring these headphones after having them "adapt" themselves to the measurement apparatus.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
As I have said before, we need one target and that is that. It doesn't need to be perfect (even if it can be). We just need one that the listener then modifies to taste -- just like we do with speakers and target room curve. Folks keep agitating for new targets so not surprised that Sean is searching for one but in my opinion, no more work was needed.
The two tweets quoted by @GaryH are almost contradictory - they put different emphasis on what is being done. One of them is practically an announcement of a new target and the other says that new research is being done that might improve the target.

I'm inclined to ask, which is it? I'm hoping for the latter.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Nuraphones work with otoacoustic emissions - which is something that does not exist on ear simulators. So I suspect you wouldn't get meaningful results measuring these headphones after having them "adapt" themselves to the measurement apparatus.

Those otoacoustic emissions being analyzed may be as simple as the result of the shape of the outer ear and tympanic membrane, which the GRAS might replicate since the microphone membrane isn’t at the surface right?

markanini

Major Contributor
The two tweets quoted by @GaryH are almost contradictory - they put different emphasis on what is being done. One of them is practically an announcement of a new target and the other says that new research is being done that might improve the target.

I'm inclined to ask, which is it? I'm hoping for the latter.
Also some of the replies taking cheap shots smells strongly of HPs.com shills. Sooner or later Sean will regret interacting with these actors as one inevitably does.

GaryH

Major Contributor
The utter gall of 'Resolve' to reply with "Is anyone surprised at this point? This is what they do over there." Meanwhile, this is what they do over there (him and his headphones.com cabal in their 'secret' Discord server behind Sean's back), reposting (and agreeing) with glee childish anti-Harman IE nonsense from SBAF:

Screenshot_20231011-215218_Discord.png

Screenshot_20231011-215316_Discord.png

Repeatedly referring to Harman disparagingly as 'haram', which is not only immature and disrespectful, but pretty problematic (frankly racist) coming from a bunch of (mostly) white guys:

Screenshot_20231011_222621.png

Screenshot_20231011_224547.png

Screenshot_20231011_222918.png

Screenshot_20231011_224819.png

What a complete cesspool. Then of course there's the flagrant misinformation and denigration of Harman's IE research disseminated by their business partners. There may be a small but loud minority of anti-Harman IE pseudoscientists on here, but it's pervasive and pernicious with headphones.com and their affiliates, and comes from the top.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What a complete cesspool.
You can say that again. Did he really use that language in the last poll option? Couldn't figure out a more professional way to state that?

And yes, I am shocked that Sean would go on their show and such.

GaryH

Major Contributor
As I said that was a repost of a poll from SBAF (an even cessier pool). But as the comments below it show, he, 'Listener' (another headphones.com reviewer) and others on their server pretty much agreed with what the 'poll' was trying to say.

lazarian

I assume in person the Resolve's and Blaine's of the world are a bit less disagreeable, so Sean probably doesn't know about the negativity being pushed by hp.com crew in general towards his work. It is rather disheartening seeing tilted DF becoming the default on most squig sites now just because hp.com and crin wants desperately to make 5128 the new standard.

markanini

Major Contributor
What a complete cesspool. Then of course there's the flagrant misinformation and denigration of Harman's IE research disseminated by their business partners. There may be a small but loud minority of anti-Harman IE pseudoscientists on here, but it's pervasive and pernicious with headphones.com and their affiliates, and comes from the top.
"Calling out" Crinacle for those reasons is weird. He developed a target based on his preference and his rig, fair enough. His business relationship with HPs.com came later and Crinacle has been upfront about it, unlike many HPs.com associates that seem to cloak their activity as fellow enthusiasts, more or less. He still helped develop one of the most Harman adherent IEMs on the market that is sold for an inexpensive $50.

Last edited:

Valphonics

The utter gall of 'Resolve' to reply with "Is anyone surprised at this point? This is what they do over there." Meanwhile, this is what they do over there (him and his headphones.com cabal in their 'secret' Discord server behind Sean's back), reposting (and agreeing) with glee childish anti-Harman IE nonsense from SBAF:

View attachment 318167

View attachment 318190

Repeatedly referring to Harman disparagingly as 'haram', which is not only immature and disrespectful, but pretty problematic (frankly racist) coming from a bunch of (mostly) white guys:

View attachment 318169
View attachment 318183
View attachment 318172
View attachment 318184

Hi,

I am not affiliated with hp.com, these members or would consider very close with the people you have featured, however, having been in these communities for a substantial amount of time and understanding the nature of how everyone acts, this is out of pure joke like behaviour.

Now, the use of Haram against Harman is not racist as it isn't attacking a race of people. It's poking at an association of faith and belief that makes it more difficult to look into, but definitely not racist. However, this isn't what I came to discuss about.

The Harman curve is a preference target, and according from my knowledge and what Mr. Olive has produced, being incredibly valuable information that has genuinely impacted the audio space positively for a while. But that is what the target is, its the most prominent preference known from a collection of data. This data, now transferred into a squiggly line, is actually supported by these people. With personal interactions and long term observations, they mean no harm towards the Harman target and infact shown a positive light for this new one to come to be.

I know on a surface level that they look genuinely against this sort of work, but in actuality that is not the case. I am not here to defend them from the love of my heart but just show some light on a person who's seen and known them longer than many people on this forum. I would love to interact more with people on here, as I would like to have a better understanding on some aspects of sound. But, please try not to take these out of context.

-Valphonics

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There isn't a subject in the world benine enough to be immune to the internet dumpster fire phenomenon. It will settle down.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I assume in person the Resolve's and Blaine's of the world are a bit less disagreeable, so Sean probably doesn't know about the negativity being pushed by hp.com crew in general towards his work. It is rather disheartening seeing tilted DF becoming the default on most squig sites now just because hp.com and crin wants desperately to make 5128 the new standard.
I assure you, I'm far more disagreeable in person - @Resolve is more timid in person, but @Sean Olive and I banter quite a bit.

Re: @GaryH stalking my discord, that's my discord (unaffiliated to Headphones.com, other than folks from said being welcome there), Todd Welti is in there, and Sean has a standing invitation to join if he'd ever like to (and believe you me, I've tried, I'd love to have him in there).

I'd also do a bit here about how overwhelmingly positive essentially every person in said Discord is about Harman and Sean's work, but frankly I don't feel like that's going to be a productive dialogue.

Travis

That's is too much of a moving target. Harman research is based on a standard listening room, adhering to standards that most studio control rooms adhere to.
I thought there were no standards regarding studio control rooms? Some have concluded that this lack of standards result in overall deficient recordings produced by the industry.

I thought both Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive have been advocating for some type of standards for control rooms for many years?

lazarian

I assure you, I'm far more disagreeable in person - @Resolve is more timid in person, but @Sean Olive and I banter quite a bit.

Re: @GaryH stalking my discord, that's my discord (unaffiliated to Headphones.com, other than folks from said being welcome there), Todd Welti is in there, and Sean has a standing invitation to join if he'd ever like to (and believe you me, I've tried, I'd love to have him in there).

I'd also do a bit here about how overwhelmingly positive essentially every person in said Discord is about Harman and Sean's work, but frankly I don't feel like that's going to be a productive dialogue.
Fair cop, we do only get half the story in online forums. It would be nice to see two sided discussions more in line with podcasts between you all, without a bunch of the preconceived bias that seems to be there on forums and discords.
The biggest issue when you look at all of this as a consumer is the inability to trust anyone affiliated with a storefront, or company's that actively make* headphones. Of course that's just the modern world, end of the day we can only go and buy what's available and hope that we can try stuff directly instead of relying only on reviewers and squigs.

Top Bottom