• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman is working on a new IEM target curve

markanini

Major Contributor
Not much is know for the motivation to update it. But, I recon very little will change between 300-3kHz.

As before, the uncertainties of individual eardrum response will make compliance in highest octaves in not worth taking too seriously.

Last edited:

nerdemoji

good... the Harman 2019 IE was criticized for having too high treble in some regions and i tend to agree.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sooo it seems Sean Olive agrees with Crinacle after all and following that Harman IEM target was not the correct one after all.
In an interview where both Crin and Sean discussed the target he already acknowledged the target was not given much attention in the first place.

The other Harman targets also changed a bit from the day of the first target because of increased insight in the matter.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Sooo it seems Sean Olive agrees with Crinacle after all and following the Harman IEM target was not the best idea after all.
In an interview where both Crin and Sean discussed the target he already acknowledged the target was not given much attention in the first place.

The other Harman targets also changed a bit from the day of the first target because of increased insight in the matter.
Iˋm one that dont like the sound of the Harman curve with IEM:s . I think they have to try making their results with the Harman curve for stereo speakers and headphones sound the same at first.

I bought the highly regarded ( on this forum ) Moondrop LAN , and they didnt sound the same as my Genelec 8340, far from it.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recon very little will change between 300-3kHz.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't (if the target still applies to 711 couplers - and hopefully in that context Harman will be a bit more careful about using the same target for IEMs with and without feedback systems).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Iˋm one that dont like the sound of the Harman curve with IEM:s . I think they have to try making their results with the Harman curve for stereo speakers and headphones sound the same at first.

I bought the highly regarded ( on this forum ) Moondrop LAN , and they didnt sound the same as my Genelec 8340, far from it.

Then there is also insertion depth, seal and differences between one's ear canals and the standard tube it is tested in.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Interesting. So the old one was flawed...
Guess there are a zillion posts on various forums that will need some... attention.
;)
Yes ….best to just listen ;)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
everyone will tweak the line across the whole spectrum, adding and/or subtracting a few dB here and there ....
Most will just take it as it is, just like it is now with auto eq and other ready made solutions.

And it's not a bad idea. Having those 20 band "personal" curves with insignificant changes and pretending you got it just right needs at least sanity check with blind testing. And testing for preference, not for a difference.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet it won't differ by much
My guess is less ear gain "shout" and treble, but similar mids and bass levels. You know, like the Red fixed the Zero. :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Like the sound mixing guy at the local live music venue. We all have to listen to the Harman Curve HE PREFERS. :p
Real acoustic music should be the sound reference, in my opinion.

OP
A

alumnicesar

My guess is less ear gain "shout" and treble, but similar mids and bass levels. You know, like the Red fixed the Zero. :)
I hope they release a Truthear Green or something for the new curve

GaryH

Major Contributor
All the Harman Science Deniers on here are giving ASR a bad name. No wonder Sean rarely posts here anymore.

Screenshot_20231010_234449.png

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I have said before, we need one target and that is that. It doesn't need to be perfect (even if it can be). We just need one that the listener then modifies to taste -- just like we do with speakers and target room curve. Folks keep agitating for new targets so not surprised that Sean is searching for one but in my opinion, no more work was needed.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And to state the obvious, a few people posting in this non-busy thread does not make for an official position from ASR. Disappointed that it is expressed that way in above Tweets.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom