• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 173 59.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.7%

• Total voters

Multicore

Major Contributor
Every time I read a comment about its ugliness or that the top of the case bows up, my heart swells with antiaudiophillic pride.

20230204_090434.jpg

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp passes reactive loads at 8 and 4 ohms. At 2 ohm, it would go into protection before reaching peak power:
View attachment 315055

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Thank you for doing the reactive load test. Can you please elaborate on how it is done? I mean instead of using a resistor load that represents 0 deg., do you use a load made up of variable inductance, capacitance and resistanc (RLC) network, or is there an off the shelf type test load that allows you to vary the phase angle?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you for doing the reactive load test. Can you please elaborate on how it is done? I mean instead of using a resistor load that represents 0 deg., do you use a load made up of variable inductance, capacitance and resistanc (RLC) network, or is there an off the shelf type test load that allows you to vary the phase angle?

Maybe you will find an answer here...

Another measurements :

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding the low power test: what speakers would people pair with this which have <.1% distortion at 20 hz?

My understanding of the problem is that a lot of amps have trouble when the frequency is less than the AC frequency of the power supply because the amp needs to hold up the voltage all positive or all negative while the AC input power passes through zero. The answer would be more capacitance but that comes at an efficiency cost and a price cost.

~120 watts at reasonable SINAD is a good tradeoff for an amp which is aiming to be the lower priced Hypex.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither of these are the problem here.
The main problem is it doesn't meet its specs at 2 Ohm as it failed to pass Amir's tests.
Combined with the "anomaly" at 20Hz seems that there something out of order there.

I don't think you can say it doesn't meet its specs at 2 ohms because we don't know exactly how Amir does the sweep the way Hypex did their own. From the datasheet it says:

1695814991673.png

The wording "time limited" is key, but it is so vague, making such a claim almost useless but for Hypex, that makes it hard for people to say it does not meet the spec. Regardless, purely by calculation, in Amir test it output 32.2 V 4 ohms, so it will be able to do 16.1 V 2 ohms. That means it can do about 130 W into 2 ohms, resistive. People started wrong focusing on W, it is too late now to get them switched to look at V and I. Not really a big deal though, just missed opportunity.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think you can say it doesn't meet its specs at 2 ohms because we don't know exactly how Amir does the sweep the way Hypex did their own. From the datasheet it says:

View attachment 315110

The wording "time limited" is key, but it is so vague, making such a claim almost useless but for Hypex, that makes it hard for people to say it does not meet the spec. Regardless, purely by calculation, in Amir test it output 32.2 V 4 ohms, so it will be able to do 16.1 V 2 ohms. That means it can do about 130 W into 2 ohms, resistive. People started wrong focusing on W, it is too late now to get them switched to look at V and I. Not really a big deal though, just missed opportunity.
I agree 100%.
But since the company (Buckeye) states it as such and the below picture shows protection even at resistive 0° load what else to think?

1695815739260.png

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is always some drama in Buckeye's reviews, poor Dylan can't get a break lol.

peniku8

Forum Donor
The amp passes reactive loads at 8 and 4 ohms. At 2 ohm, it would go into protection before reaching peak power:

View attachment 315056

Interesting to see that the NC252 goes into protection at 2R, the FA123 I tested did 2R just fine:

grafik.png.e0fa4538382fc06eb373a975b05f0b02.png

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree 100%.
But since the company states it as such and the below picture shows protection even at resistive 0° load what else to think?

View attachment 315114
Same, "time" is the limit as the datasheet noted, it never said anything about resistive or reactive, just time. Again, for real world use that is not important because very few people will have to worry about 2 ohm load. Those who do, will have to make sure 130 W is enough for their applications during the dips to 2 ohm, it not, grab the NC502 or a more powerful amp. I know your point is about meeting the spec though, that unfortunately we cannot know without knowing unless we can get Hypex to tell us exactly what that "time limit" is for a 2 ohm load test. Just notice post#48, it just shows whether protection is triggered or not depends on how the test is done.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
FWIW from the ugly camp (those who think the enclosures ugly, not those I’m calling ugly) the cases I use are manufactured in Canada. From day one I chose this company due to their closeness and ability to allow modifications (color, cutouts, etc) at low volume.

Recently I have looked at the idea of switching to a more pleasant looking case similar to what a lot of others offer, but this would impact the ability to offer a wide range of customization. And, just as important to me, take the location of case manufacturing to the other side of the globe.

As always, there are trade offs.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW from the ugly camp (those who think the enclosures ugly, not those I’m calling ugly) the cases I use are manufactured in Canada. From day one I chose this company due to their closeness and ability to allow modifications (color, cutouts, etc) at low volume.

Recently I have looked at the idea of switching to a more pleasant looking case similar to what a lot of others offer, but this would impact the ability to offer a wide range of customization. And, just as important to me, take the location of case manufacturing to the other side of the globe.

How about half way of the globe, to Italy more precisely? :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Found this interesting test by PMA :

"To test amplifier with various complex impedance loads, I have prepared a combination of 4.7ohm/200W resistor in parallel with series connection of 2.2uF polypropylene capacitor and 1.6uH inductor with 0.3ohm resistance. 5 amplifiers were tested and NC252MP is the only one that failed in this test - it is unstable and distortion is higher by 40 dB compared to resistive load. The new dummy load impedance plot is"

index.php

Capacitive reactance is to simulate speaker like this

index.php

1695818191573.png

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How about half way of the globe, to Italy more precisely? :)
Another option as well, however there are a few drawbacks, some based on first hand experience (but not going to openly state them…nothing against the company though)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Found this interesting test by PMA :

"To test amplifier with various complex impedance loads, I have prepared a combination of 4.7ohm/200W resistor in parallel with series connection of 2.2uF polypropylene capacitor and 1.6uH inductor with 0.3ohm resistance. 5 amplifiers were tested and NC252MP is the only one that failed in this test - it is unstable and distortion is higher by 40 dB compared to resistive load. The new dummy load impedance plot is"

index.php

Capacitive reactance is to simulate speaker like this

index.php

View attachment 315126

I think that thread had a long discussion confirming this wasn't a real world problem?

We run low Re drivers in parallell on Hypex with absolutely no issue.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Non-linearity does increase at higher frequencies, and there is noticeable power drop at 20 Hz:
View attachment 315057

Can you explain the 20 Hz distortion? I know you mentioned in one of your previous post that when you do 20kHz, something similar like this happens. But can you explain what is going on here?

only.shallow

I've been running mine with a Freya S and Revel M16 speakers and the combo is killer. No issues and my digital and vinyl playback sound stellar. I did leave the amp on "auto" during the summer and the amp itself would make a pop noise when it turned itself on; no pop noise through the speakers though. I leave the amp on all the time now since I'm in the living room everyday with the cooler weather and I forget it's there.

Yes, it's simple in design but for the price/performance and shipping from a domestic company, I think it's a great starter amp for a HiFi under $1000. My next amp upgrade will probably be something that looks a little sexier but for my apartment now, this amp works perfectly.

image_67211777.JPG

daniboun

Major Contributor

Makes sense. but I think it would rather impact your margins... let's be frank);)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My next amp upgrade will probably be something that looks a little sexier

Sexier? LOL. That wouldn't be hard. Buckeye stuff looks like a cross between a cheap car battery charger and a UPS.

Better heard and not seen.

Top Bottom