• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lenire Tinnitus Treatment

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I heard a story several years ago where a fellow was so obsessed with the ringing in his hear he had the audio nerve in his ear surgically severed. The ringing persisted even after the operation.
:eek::oops:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard a story several years ago where a fellow was so obsessed with the ringing in his hear he had the audio nerve in his ear surgically severed. The ringing persisted even after the operation.
I think the ringing is produced by the brain, not by the ear nerves.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

My 2 brothers and I all have mild/moderate tinnitus. My oldest brother happens to be an ENT, and his tales of caution have made me very wary of 'cures' and even many treatments.

It too often gets worse.

I am lucky that it isn't that bad for me, but there are many very sad stories like that out there.

r042wal

Forum Donor
I've lived with it since about 2009 - 2010. I don't fight it anymore. I sleep with foam ear plugs. When they are in my ears, I hear my ringing, my breathing, my heart beating and it just has an overall mesmerizing affect that helps me fall asleep. I have tried white noise generators and music but none of those worked for me.

Despite the high-frequency ringing, it does not seem to have a big impact on my hearing. Where I notice it most intrusive is how it distorts my ambient hearing when others are around me and talking.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I think the ringing is produced by the brain, not by the ear nerves.
So the cure is to remove the Brain. So simple a caveman already did it! :p

AdamG

Forum Donor
My 2 brothers and I all have mild/moderate tinnitus. My oldest brother happens to be an ENT, and his tales of caution have made me very wary of 'cures' and even many treatments.

It too often gets worse.

I am lucky that it isn't that bad for me, but there are many very sad stories like that out there.
Any chance you can ask him his opinion/thoughts about this treatment regimen?

I have a Tens unit I use for treating Nerve damage pain. I could repurpose the unit and attach the probes to each side of my tongue. If I turn it up high enough it will make me (flinch & twitch) and flop around like a fish out of water. Uncontrollable muscle spasms are always fun.

Did I ever tell you about the time I was wearing my Tens unit on my belt onboard Ship. I had Four probe pads attached to my neck and back. It was the first time I used the unit in a portable manner. I was going to Chow for Lunch and learning how to use the kit while mobile. It was in the Low Power mode. It was set to a some type of repeating rhythmic signal pattern. When I sat down to in the chow hall with my tray of food and eating utensils. The Tens Control unit got pressed between my back and the seat cushion. Apparently this particular position was exerting pressure on the intensity/power up button. Before I could react, my body started flinching in spasms similar to being tased. With each body spasm, apparently I made contact with the cushion and hit the power up button again and again. I recall a crowd gathering to observe and cheer me on as I repeatedly stabbed myself with the fork I was holding in my hand. At some point I remember hearing bets being taken. I blacked out shortly afterwards. I woke up in Sickbay disoriented and bleeding. I explained my limited recollection of the events that led to my injuries. The on duty Doc and his assembled Medical Staff started to uncontrollably laugh. A few of them even started to tear up. I was touched by their professional and obvious emotional physical concern. I have to admit, once they removed the fork from my forearm, I found the situation pretty funny too.

I still have that TENs unit. We have had a troubled and difficult relationship ever since. :D

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have a Dr. Ho TENS but could never outdo your story. Good one :)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on all the positive reports I decided to try my own DIY treatment last night.

100dB sweeps, chirps, tones and pink noise into headphones while repeatedly licking a 9V battery for 10 minutes.

My subjective observations: High pitched ringing still present, possibly worse. My ears and tongue feel weird.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Based on all the positive reports I decided to try my own DIY treatment last night.

100dB sweeps, chirps, tones and pink noise into headphones while repeatedly licking a 9V battery for 10 minutes.

My subjective observations: High pitched ringing still present, possibly worse. My ears and tongue feel weird.

Maybe try to lick it faster.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those interested in this treatment, there are two long threads about it in the Tinnitus Talk forum, which is by far the best forum and a community on tinnitus

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Any chance you can ask him his opinion/thoughts about this treatment regimen?

Just asked, and he hasn't heard anything about this that he remembers.

Did I ever tell you about the time I was wearing my Tens unit on my belt onboard Ship

Excellent story, and no I haven't heard that one! I'll bet some of those privileged to have witnessed the event still tell the story too!

AdamG

Forum Donor
Just asked, and he hasn't heard anything about this that he remembers.

Excellent story, and no I haven't heard that one! I'll bet some of those privileged to have witnessed the event still tell the story too!
I may have embellished here and there. I believe it became the forklore of the Mess deck's. The Doc joked that I was lucky I was not holding a steak knife at the time. I quipped back that obviously he had never used a standard issue Navy steak knife. They are far better suited to spreading spackling than cutting anything. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For those interested in this treatment, there are two long threads about it in the Tinnitus Talk forum, which is by far the best forum and a community on tinnitus

An update on this. First, i went to that site and boy, there were a lot of people from UK saying the thing didn't work for them. I almost backed out when I got the bill for $4,500. But then decided to go through with it and today was the appointment to get the device.

While the doctor was setting up the machine, I asked her about the negative outcomes in UK. She said that the roll out in both UK and Germany totally failed because they allowed any and all people to sell it. With no training, screening, etc., they wound up giving it to everyone with some people not getting good outcomes. It is for this reason that the company decided to only allow a dozen or so doctors that had specialty dealing with Tinnitus to handle it in US.

I asked her what her success rate had been. She said she was allowed to start people in May of this year and so far, the success rate is 90% -- inline with the trials. She had flown down here for people in this area. I asked her how many appointments she had and she said 13! Pretty big number for something like this.

She used a PC to calibrate the device for level of electrical excitation and volume. Audiologist report was used to program the latter. At first the level of the tongue excitement was so high it almost burned a hole in it! :) She dialed it down and said that it does not at all need to be uncomfortable. The sounds out of the machine is light background music with a set of tones. The tones get louder and fainter and correlate with increased and decrease in tongue electrical excitation. A decent quality bluetooth headphone comes with the unit. Each cycle of treatment goes for 30 minutes but you are supposed to do it 60 minutes per day (together or separate).

I have not yet tried it as I just got home. Have a 2 week check up with her.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A bit more about the device. The tongue piece has a life of 180 hours. Treatment is slated for 120 hours. Machine will refuse to use the unit after 180 hours and you have to get a new one for $400! Comes with a three year warranty.

Seems like there is a way to manually set the levels for both sound and excitation. So in theory someone else could pick it up and do what I went through to use it.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I am 2 months away from my 56th birthday, luckily I only have a mild case that doesn't bother me much.
I wear ear plugs to concerts, but still hear some ringing afterwards when I go to bed. Or if I use headphones for an extended session.
Sometimes just out of the blue, when it's quiet I can hear it.
The joys of being a Metal Head, still amazed I'm not completely deaf, lol.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
A decent quality bluetooth headphone comes with the unit.
Sinad measurement coming? :) This trial is very promising. I tried similar treatment years ago with TENS electrical device stimulating the vagus nerve via an ear lobe while listening to notch corrected music, where the tinnitus frequency was removed. The theory goes that when the brain interprets music/sounds where a certain tone is not present, the brain ’reorganises’ itself via neuroplasticy and the ’malfunctioning’ tinnitus frequencies may disappear. No luck in my case then.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am 2 months away from my 56th birthday, luckily I only have a mild case that doesn't bother me much.
I wear ear plugs to concerts, but still hear some ringing afterwards when I go to bed. Or if I use headphones for an extended session.
Sometimes just out of the blue, when it's quiet I can hear it.
The joys of being a Metal Head, still amazed I'm not completely deaf, lo
Januari this year i got a sort of tinnitus. Constant nasty pitch tone 24/7 didn't hear that clear any more specific imaging & staging. The fun of listening to high end audio was diminished considerably.
My Docter told me most of here patiënt will heal around 70%. Some soon or it takes some months. I got from my Docter Fluticason for 4 months. For me it is now considerbly less such i almost don't hear it anymore.Took me now 7 months to get my previous hearing more or less back (very faint pitch tone now and it seems that even that is diminishing) including the imaging staging an most important Fun.

Last edited:

Hayabusa

An update on this. First, i went to that site and boy, there were a lot of people from UK saying the thing didn't work for them. I almost backed out when I got the bill for $4,500. But then decided to go through with it and today was the appointment to get the device.

While the doctor was setting up the machine, I asked her about the negative outcomes in UK. She said that the roll out in both UK and Germany totally failed because they allowed any and all people to sell it. With no training, screening, etc., they wound up giving it to everyone with some people not getting good outcomes. It is for this reason that the company decided to only allow a dozen or so doctors that had specialty dealing with Tinnitus to handle it in US.

I asked her what her success rate had been. She said she was allowed to start people in May of this year and so far, the success rate is 90% -- inline with the trials. She had flown down here for people in this area. I asked her how many appointments she had and she said 13! Pretty big number for something like this.

She used a PC to calibrate the device for level of electrical excitation and volume. Audiologist report was used to program the latter. At first the level of the tongue excitement was so high it almost burned a hole in it! :) She dialed it down and said that it does not at all need to be uncomfortable. The sounds out of the machine is light background music with a set of tones. The tones get louder and fainter and correlate with increased and decrease in tongue electrical excitation. A decent quality bluetooth headphone comes with the unit. Each cycle of treatment goes for 30 minutes but you are supposed to do it 60 minutes per day (together or separate).

I have not yet tried it as I just got home. Have a 2 week check up with her.
"The tones get louder and fainter and correlate with increased and decrease in tongue electrical excitation"
So there is a direct correlation in amplitude of the excitation and the sound levels?
Are you planning to measure this, that would be interesting!
Especially to know what kind of excitation signal its is: AC/DC what voltage etc.
Also did they program in the problem area of your tinnitus ( level/freq) so they focus the training on that area?

Last edited:
Top Bottom