• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dog help: any vetanerians in the house?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm My dog Bosley wishes your dog a speedy recovery.

IMG_2125.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The first dog I ever patted was a Samoyed. His name was Moshka (sounded like mooshga).

He was naughty, shredded all the curtains in the front rooms of the house while his owners were out. But he was beautiful. I used to ride my scooter down the street hoping he’d run to the front gate. His fur was amazing when I felt it through the bars.

That was about 50 years ago now.

Amir, you did the right thing- don’t blame yourself and he’ll probably be fine.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hope everything goes well with your puppy,it's always difficult trying to help creatures totally depended on you.
But is a small price to pay considering the love they give you.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Hope everything goes well with your puppy,it's always difficult trying to help creatures totally depended on you.
But is a small price to pay considering the love they give you.
IMG_4590.jpeg

We tell ourselves we ‘rescued’ our greyhound Edward just before COVID struck, but on reflection perhaps he rescued us. Most stupid, heart over head, impractical thing we ever did - and still the best decision ever!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hope your dog recovers soon, a home isn't the same when someone's unwell. Best wishes

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir, I have a lot of experience giving intravenous Gentamicin but less with Gentamicin ear drops. I can tell you that ototoxicity (i.e. toxicity to the hearing and balance organs) is rare with intravenous Gentamicin, because we carefully monitor the levels and kidney function while we are giving it. Just FYI the typical dose is 5-7mg/kg rounded to the nearest multiple of 40mg, so a 50kg person would get 240mg. Ear drops are a different story, levels are not monitored, and despite much lower doses being given, ototixicity is more common, although I do not know how common. I did a literature search for you and I found this paper, which is a review of ototoxicity from Gentamicin ear drops. It looks like they don't know either ;)

I agree that if your dog has developed hearing loss from both ears, it is unlikely to be from an ear infection in one ear.

I also agree with your vet - once hearing loss has developed, the only recourse is to cross your fingers and hope it comes back. There have been some studies trying to reverse the hearing loss by giving antioxidants but there is no evidence that this works.

It's a good thing there was no cochlear toxicity as well (I am guessing not, since you don't report your dog walking like a drunk and falling over). That would be truly miserable.

Best of luck to you and your dog.
Absolutely correct.
In '80th and beginning '90th we applied Genta via syringe ('no time at all') and upcoming hearing damage was found.
Evaluation of the issue proved, that, though only for short, the high concentration did the damage of inner ear.
So in consecution Genta was applied furtheron by infusion or perfusor.
An external application to the outer ear should not do any effect to the inner ear.
In discussion was a penetration to middle ear, but that was not diagnosed by the vet, as I read correctly?, and even if, there had to be a sufficient transport into inner ear (via fenestra, if).

In medicine (as all life) there are occurrences simultaneously, that are often interpreted as dependencies, what may be misleading in the end.

Carbesia

Hello, vet in France here, long time reader but my first post here will be about dogs and drugs and not audio !

Ototoxicity is a well known but very uncommon and unpredictable side effect of aminosides in dogs (never seen with a local treatment in 30 years of personnal experience), and it seems that recovery is very probable.

I found this in the notice of one of our treatments for otitis containing gentamicine :

In very rare cases, the use of the product may cause hearing impairment (partial hearing loss or deafness), especially in older dogs.
Based on post-marketing safety experience, improvement in hearing was observed in most dogs with deafness/hearing loss and full recovery was confirmed in 70% of dogs case with adequate follow-up.
In fully recovered dogs, improvement was seen quickly.
Recovery was observed as early as a week after the onset of signs, with the majority of dogs recovering within a month; in a minority of cases, deafness lasted up to two months.

It is also very frequent to use steroids added to the antibiotic, because the main cause of external otitis in dogs is an allergic reaction to something.

So probably your dog will be fine.
Hope this will help you...

JSmith

Master Contributor
Today we have noticed a change in that he appears to be occasionally responding to louder, higher frequency sounds. He is so good at reading body language (and following the reactions of his sister) that it is hard to know if he is really hearing something or not.
Hey Amir, was just wondering if there was any further improvement?

JSmith

Digby

Major Contributor
Just as a potential, is it possible your dog had some hearing loss from this problem, but you hadn't noticed it and then when you gave the dog the drops, obviously this was a change, so you noticed the hearing loss and associated it with the medicine?

If you dog has puss coming out of the ear, that is likely not going to be good for his hearing, so....just speculating as to whether this could be a possibility?

Last edited:

Did you ever get a second opinion and x-ray/MRI testing done? I notice you didn't comment on those things.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry guys. Didn't know you all had continued to respond. Yes, an update is due.

After a few days, he got a bit of his hearing back. He would only hear very high frequency tones. It stayed like this for a week to 10 days. Then he made a big jump and could perceive a lot more. Right now I would say he is at 70 to 80%. Hard to know exactly without some protocol before and after. But it is hugely better than when he lost his hearing altogether. Poor dog seemed totally lost. We would go try to wake up him and he would jump, being startled. Now, he is acting as he always did, albeit with somewhat less acuity than his sister.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He was naughty, shredded all the curtains in the front rooms of the house while his owners were out. But he was beautiful. I used to ride my scooter down the street hoping he’d run to the front gate. His fur was amazing when I felt it through the bars.
Ours ate part of a wall when he was a puppy but then took extremely well to training and has been excellent in that regard. We have two and they are very well behaved as dogs go. They even know not to climb up to the loft where my lab is without any kind of gate!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I found this in the notice of one of our treatments for otitis containing gentamicine :

In very rare cases, the use of the product may cause hearing impairment (partial hearing loss or deafness), especially in older dogs.
Based on post-marketing safety experience, improvement in hearing was observed in most dogs with deafness/hearing loss and full recovery was confirmed in 70% of dogs case with adequate follow-up.
In fully recovered dogs, improvement was seen quickly.
Recovery was observed as early as a week after the onset of signs, with the majority of dogs recovering within a month; in a minority of cases, deafness lasted up to two months.
Wow, that is what happened! Wish this was in the notation for the version of the drug we gave him. Ours just said older dogs may suffer hearing loss and that was that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just as a potential, is it possible your dog had some hearing loss from this problem, but you hadn't noticed it and then when you gave the dog the drops, obviously this was a change, so you noticed the hearing loss and associated it with the medicine?
Yes, post creating this thread a friend doctor suggest that he may have lost his hearing prior to even giving him the drops. I had not thought of that and keep wondering if the infection (or previous treatment) caused it. The change was so dramatic two days after giving him the drops that my mind directly went there. But it is entirely possible that the condition was there and hence was caused by the infection itself. We gave him the oral antibiotics the vet prescribed so maybe that fixed the underlying issue.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom