• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lenire Tinnitus Treatment

r042wal

Forum Donor
Just in case this helps anyone:

If I lie down in bed with earplugs (I sleep with them, so this is every day) and concentrate on my tinnitus tones in a certain way, I can make them go away for a bit. The "technique" if you want to call it that, is to imagine I've applied a notch filter to the tones, and I'm gradually lowering the gain.

I sleep with ear plugs too and am able to tune out my tinnitus. The more I concentrate on it the more it challenges me so it just becomes a head game between me and my affliction.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the question comes down to is ridding yourself of tinnitus worth about $5k? I wonder if the system is resellable.

Martin

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
She said my case is marginal based on the questionnaire I filled out.
Did they ask you for references?
>> I (for one) can categorically defend your hearing to be an international treasure.
Marginal? I think not!
Rare? Most definitely!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did they ask you for references?
The company has only authorized 15 companies in US at this point. The nearest one is either in Oregon or Alaska. I am going with the latter which the company referred me to. There is no option of searching for providers.

It is possible all of this would have been cheaper at least by a bit if they were local to me. I think their assistant is literally flying down to the nearby clinic to do the initial training and setup.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The company has only authorized 15 companies in US at this point. The nearest one is either in Oregon or Alaska. I am going with the latter which the company referred me to. There is no option of searching for providers.

It is possible all of this would have been cheaper at least by a bit if they were local to me. I think their assistance is literally flying down to the nearby clinic to do the initial training and setup.

I made initial contact with a provider near me. They are about a 20-25 minute drive from me, so very local. And the cost is the same. Based on how you describe your situation, I suspect my answers to the questionnaire would be very similar to yours. So I'm not sure if I want to go forward given that I'm aware of my tinnitus but it doesn't generally impact my enjoyment of music listening, let alone my life in general.

Hexspa

I've had tinnitus for decades. About 15 years ago I was prescribed mirtazipine and my tinnitus disappeared - blessed silence! I couldn't tolerate the mirtazipine so stopped it almost immediately. I'd forgotten about its unusual side-effect until I read this thread.
Is that a known side effect? If not, you might want to report it. Sometimes they’ll research these things.

Hexspa

My nose hairs sure keep growing. I know I shouldn't share that kind of information.
And at an accelerating rate. I went from weekly trimming to twice daily and I’m only 40. At this rate I’ll have to trim before and after each trip to the head.

Hexspa

Bro imagine you go and your tinnitus gets worse? That would suck.

Hexspa

So the question comes down to is ridding yourself of tinnitus worth about $5k? I wonder if the system is resellable.

Martin
Yeah it definitely is if you have the cash. Mine isn’t terrible but I would no doubt pay $5k to remove it permanently. Even better if insurance would cover some of it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if the system is resellable.
I am sure you could sell it. Question is if the programming open or closed system. And whether it is easy to do. Will let you know once I go through it. The doctor said that the thresholds are set using my audiograms so there is at least that.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fingers crossed that something comes of it. I'm looking forward to still being able to hear >10khz in my 60s, but at this rate there's no guarantee. City living is loud, man...
I have discovered through a hearing test done on line & doing it a second time with my headphones put on in the backwards position after I heard NOTHING in one of my ears between 7000 & 8000Hz. I reversed the headphones & had the same result in the same ear.
No sound between 7KHz & 8KHz but can hear to 16K in both ears. But one ear has a gap. Also, I have tinnitus in both ears.
The military between 2001 & 2018 did not help. But the GAP is a relatively recent occurrence.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard NOTHING in one of my ears between 7000 & 8000Hz. I reversed the headphones & had the same result in the same ear.
No sound between 7KHz & 8KHz but can hear to 16K in both ears. But one ear has a gap.
That sounds like a typical "notch filter".
OT: In efforts to stem the copying LPs (to cassettes/CDs), CBS Records had started to put such a "notch" in all LPs.
Hardware recorders where to detect this notch during playback and prevent the signal from being recorded.
Consider yourself lucky, as your notch-filter is not smack in the middle of the most sensitive part of our hearing range, as was the case with this built-in LP notch.
I think that steep notch in the LPs was at 3kHz and testing showed it to be an audible suck-out (although a very sharp notch).:mad:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure you could sell it. Question is if the programming open or closed system. And whether it is easy to do. Will let you know once I go through it. The doctor said that the thresholds are set using my audiograms so there is at least that.
Try to measure FR and compare it to your audiograms. This should give a hint how to setup an EQ for other people based on their audiograms.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Try to measure FR and compare it to your audiograms. This should give a hint how to setup an EQ for other people based on their audiograms.
I don't know if that works due to adaptation by the brain to hear the degraded response as normal.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I don't know if that works due to adaptation by the brain to hear the degraded response as normal.
My tinnitus is so bad I’m afraid that the feedback system would turn into a mini electric chair thing and then I have to find a guy to treat the multiple concussions incurred. Maybe a padded helmet?

As our resident Test Dummy please let us know how this works out. Back in the day we used to wake certain deep sleepers (who were late to Watch Duty) with a hand crank able Megohmmeter. Repeated offenders were rare. If this is like that. The padded helmet is definitely in the cards for me. :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed a 'commonality' between the upcoming Lenire (tongue applied voltage) treatment and a member that previously commented about eating something sour [lemon?], which seemed to ease the tinnitus levels.
Would anyone volunteer as a...
...resident Test Dummy please let us know how this [lemon] works out.
Thanks.

Hexspa

I have discovered through a hearing test done on line & doing it a second time with my headphones put on in the backwards position after I heard NOTHING in one of my ears between 7000 & 8000Hz. I reversed the headphones & had the same result in the same ear.
No sound between 7KHz & 8KHz but can hear to 16K in both ears. But one ear has a gap. Also, I have tinnitus in both ears.
The military between 2001 & 2018 did not help. But the GAP is a relatively recent occurrence.
Like the streets after 2am, nothing good happens between 7-8kHz.

Reactions: EJ3
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

r042wal

Forum Donor
I heard a story several years ago where a fellow was so obsessed with the ringing in his hear he had the audio nerve in his ear surgically severed. The ringing persisted even after the operation.

Top Bottom