• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 341 66.1%

• Total voters

tomasai911

@mirror88 , my DAC-Z8 should arrive today but I’m already seriously thinking of getting DMP-A6 as a transport to it.

But one last thing, I’m not an Android user but I’ve been reading a lot of concerns about support of the Android and the apps after the next couple of years, that some apps may need updated version of the OS, also its support of the hardware. Can you comment on this?

Thanks in advanced.
I would not worry about OS support at all as this will be taken care of by EverSolo. You will just have to make sure what version of OS is needed by the Android app that you want to install on your hardware but if you are using this streamer mainly for streaming, I would not be installing ANY apps but the default ones unless it has been verified by EverSolo.
Android is fully supported by Google, who is not going out of business anytime soon unless ChatGTP really screws with Google...but I doubt it.

I would be more concerned whether EverSolo stays in business compared to Android!!

nawfal07

I would not worry about OS support at all as this will be taken care of by EverSolo. You will just have to make sure what version of OS is needed by the Android app that you want to install on your hardware but if you are using this streamer mainly for streaming, I would not be installing ANY apps but the default ones unless it has been verified by EverSolo.
Android is fully supported by Google, who is not going out of business anytime soon unless ChatGTP really screws with Google...but I doubt it.

I would be more concerned whether EverSolo stays in business compared to Android!!

Thanks for the response, indeed Zidoo/Eversolo will try their best to support their product, but I’d like to know what’s @mirror88 ’s comment on this.

The concern is not about Google going out of business, quite the opposite really. Android will evolve, new versions will be coming out, in doing so support for some older hardware will be dropped, this could mean the streamer will be stuck with its current Android 11 (which is I read already 2 years old, makes sense as they’ve been developing this for almost 3 years). The apps will also do the same, in time there will be new versions with new features that may require newer Android versions because they’re OS dependent.

PS: I’m not concerned about Zidoo at all, they’ve been producing excellent media players since 2014, and provide the best support among all the Shenzen companies. They’re also very proactive in listening to feedback, ask for something reasonable and there’s a good chance you’ll see it in the next firmware update (which is quite frequent). I know because I own a Zidoo media player since 2020 without any real issues and been on their forum since then. As you can see @mirror88 is very active here, looks like he’s looking after both the Zidoo media players and Eversolo audio line at the same time. We’re lucky to have him here!

Ithaka

Can anyone confirm whether replay gain/volume normalisation is supported by the local media streamer?

D

Deleted member 62005

Thanks for the response, indeed Zidoo/Eversolo will try their best to support their product, but I’d like to know what’s @mirror88 ’s comment on this. ..
Agree, We all have our speculations on the risk. But I too would like to know their roadmap/plans for support from Eversofo themselves.

However, I have come to some tentative options based only my use. The HW is good. Compared to the competition it is spec'd why beyond its pay grade. The current SW overall is adequate- your can get the job done, just clunky in areas. I think if you use it primarily as a Roon endpoint or keep to the two "native" apps, one would will be please and probably not even notice some of the issues I have experience. But since, I don't pan to use Roon, the SW bar is higher.

If you're not using Roon or can limiting yourself to the two current "native" streaming services- Tidal/Qobus, the SW works reasonably well. Eversolo should be able to support those apps for a long time even on older Android base, in my view. I think Apple Music support is the most at risk unless Apple opens up publicly their music api beyond their walled garden of IOS/IpadOS and MacOS. I just gave up on it- unless I just use Airplay2.

With the issues and concerns of the current DMP-6A, I am looking at WiiM Pro. LOL The Pro HW is very limited- not even in the same ballpark. But I only need a detail transprot and it does that well. And am finding its SW much more mature and its app experience much more seamless and intuitive. So far, it has not failed to impress. Kinda surprise for the price.

Nice to have options.

auronthas

Instead of spending/changing music streamer every two or three years, if I am able to sell them, the depreciation of these equipment enough for me to purchase a good music streaming software like Jriver, Audirvana, Roon or similar.

A simple music streamer which can be supported by these streaming software is good enough. Of course YMMV.

nawfal07

Agree, We all have our speculations on the risk. But I too would like to know their roadmap/plans for support from Eversofo themselves.

However, I have come to some tentative options based only my use. The HW is good. Compared to the competition it is spec'd why beyond its pay grade. The current SW overall is adequate- your can get the job done, just clunky in areas. I think if you use it primarily as a Roon endpoint or keep to the two "native" apps, one would will be please and probably not even notice some of the issues I have experience. But since, I don't pan to use Roon, the SW bar is higher.

If you're not using Roon or can limiting yourself to the two current "native" streaming services- Tidal/Qobus, the SW works reasonably well. Eversolo should be able to support those apps for a long time even on older Android base, in my view. I think Apple Music support is the most at risk unless Apple opens up publicly their music api beyond their walled garden of IOS/IpadOS and MacOS. I just gave up on it- unless I just use Airplay2.

With the issues and concerns of the current DMP-6A, I am looking at WiiM Pro. LOL The Pro HW is very limited- not even in the same ballpark. But I only need a detail transprot and it does that well. And am finding its SW much more mature and its app experience much more seamless and intuitive. So far, it has not failed to impress. Kinda surprise for the price.

Nice to have options.

Agreed on all points. I unsubsribed Tidal because Apple Music has the most songs from my country, not to mention it’s cost half the money, Qobuz not available over here. So Roon is not an option, Apple Music is my only choice on this streamer hence the concern as you’ve elaborated.

I’m going to look at WiiM Pro, has it been measured by @amirm ? Will I get 24-bit/192 kHz from Apple Music?

EDIT: Gonna pass on the WiiM Pro.

Last edited:

Ithaka

I'm surprised by the concern over the long term viability of the DMP-A6. Many people spend more on the latest Samsung or iPhone and expect to keep it for 2 years. The dac alone on this device is almost worth the asking price.

nawfal07

I'm surprised by the concern over the long term viability of the DMP-A6. Many people spend more on the latest Samsung or iPhone and expect to keep it for 2 years. The dac alone on this device is almost worth the asking price.

Not me though, I use my iPhone for 3-5 years, performs as well as day one.

Yeah, I really like Apple Music- for me Carplay, stereo HomePods, their Pro Max headphone. And the iPhone/Ipad. But why no why to get to it hi res on any good equipment?

For today no. Even on the Apple TV 4K, it is limited to 24/48h per their developer site (and confirmed by others). Still trying to see the cat bitrate/hz from casting from the Pro. If I could get 24/48 from Apple Music, I am ok today. Heck, it even today most digital music is all the older 16/44 (CD quality).

It one of the great unknown mysteries of Apple Musi. They have lossless to HomePod, iPhone and iPad. Who cares? And even their top headphones are still only BT AAC.. Hopefully they will have some apple devicesthat exploits lossless. Something coming... LOL

I know right, they provide the content but none of their devices supported it. I just hope they’re quietly planning something, like when suddenly we get lossless/hi-res from Apple Music (with no extra cost). But for now, even then, this DMP-A6 looks real good. Only a respond from @mirror88 about my earlier question might change my mind, although I can’t be trusted with that lol.

I use my Apple TV 4K when I feel like listening my songs on Dolby Atmos spatial audio (when available), straight to my AVR (no other choice).

multisport4me

Yeah, but it a phone- we are all silly in our own ways. I personally upgrade for the camera. Otherwise it is just a phone.LOL. But iPhone SW is usually supported fully 4+ years and many keep them that long or longer. Eversolo is a totally unknown. And they are not making much public commitment that I have seen anywhere.

And I don't expect much technology change over the next 5 years that would drive me to upgrade any streamer- so 4-5+ years seems reasonable. Or just cheap enough to get something new- the the WiiM Pro Plus. LOL

They literally just announced another firmware drop (1.48) coming in next few days with over 65 feature updates based on our feedback. They seem pretty committed to me. The Android concern can be applied to every TV streamer box out there other than AppleTV. I don't know what OS you think would be more stable or supported for longer? The hardware parts in the bill-of-materials in these boxes (and pretty much all active electronics) are far more at risk of the product lifecycle being shorter than expected that the OS in my opinion. The global supply chain issues still plaguing the auto industry, AV industry, medical devices, etc. are all about hardware shortages - not the longevity of an OS.

But to each his own. As another member posted, if you don't have the intestinal fortitude or patience for a cutting edge product like this then it makes sense to just wait before you buy or not buy a product like this so early. I like cutting edge (to a certain point) but understand that some like stability and maturity out of the box with products like these. Thankfully you bought yours on Amazon so the return is easy! :)

multisport4me

I use my Apple TV 4K when I feel like listening my songs on Dolby Atmos spatial audio (when available), straight to my AVR (no other choice).

Exactly what I plan to do. While its cool that the A6 can play 24/192 on Apple Music, I just have so many other sources of hi-res content and Roon just makes it so easy that that is pretty much all I listen to. The A6 has made that experience all the more richer.

Last edited:

multisport4me

...and many people spend well over the price of the DMP-A6 for those phones and upgrade every year. lol

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed-can't understand the comments denigrating the DAC section, as if it was an afterthought. What is a "reference DAC"?

multisport4me

Oh dear, do I respond. LOL. Since the DMP gone, this will be the last, suppose.

"As another member posted, if you don't have the intestinal fortitude or patience for a cutting edge product like this then it makes sense to just wait before you buy or not buy a product like this so early."

Disagree. Just no need to stick my head into a spinning fan and wait for a "fix" when other more maturity streamers are already on the market. I thought I had stated clearly for my "use case" it did not meet my needs or expectations even for its relatively low price. I know I think differently then most- it is what is is. LOL. But I don't speed money just because I can or show off, I buy if it meets may needs and expectation. And frankly of it pleases me. The DMP did not. Pretty simple. No hatred, remorse, anger- just an assessment. The WiiM Pro met my need. I will admit, I was surprised and almost when upscale instead of down. But it was this very forum review of the PRO that showed ityou just need a good bit perfect streamer with an external DAC, it performs. My mistake, I guess, I should have gone there first. But the DMP just was initally too appealing to not look serioulsy.. Sorry, if that ticks some off.

And as I clearly noted, a Roon user or someone that just used Tidal/Qobus may never see the issues that I experience. For those, it could be a nice unit even now. Can Eversolo fix it over time for those of intestinal fortitude? Sure. Sorry, but got to laugh a bit. I confess: I am bailing out on this one. I guess no guts. And the that Amazon return is easy, as you stated.

On the "... cutting edge product..." Sorry, I should just pass on this. Throwing wisdom in the air- here goes. . One reason I rejected the DMP was it lack of SW maturity as compared to other streamers even for a new products. Again, I thought I was clear- the HW is spec'd well. The immature SW is the issue and its support. My needs and expectations are not yours or anyone else.

To me coming from my background, a streamer just seems like throwing in a few of commodity DACs chips that have been shipping for years and used in many DAC/Streamsers already. Add, some level of Wifi ( not 6E, I assume) , USB input , coaxial, Toslink, BT 5.0 (bleeding edge is not 5.0 and not lossless yawn), one NVME SSD bay, a small LCD screen not even OLED like the new HF Rose stuff, a commodity processor that others already use (I think even the WiiM PRO use one from same family in a $150 streamer), an old version of Android code (why not the current version for such a cutting edge product?). Oh, and write some glue code to make it work together in a consumer product. Sorry, it is not cutting edge to me. Mostly just packaging of proven and well-undstood technology at a fair price.

So we disagree again. OK?

Its always been okay to disagree.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
18 pages since I visited this thread, but is it correct that it doesn't come with a remote? :eek: That means you have to have either a preamp or a DAC with a preamp section in addition to this then? :oops:

nawfal07

Agree. I actually thought the DAC section was one of the DMP-6A strong areas and it inputs/outputs. It def beats the WiiM Pro. What I don't understand is the posts that say they will get the DMP-6A as a transport and say get a Z8 for DAC. Why? Basically your are throwing away the DMP DAC section and using likely a very similar design with just a slight chip upgrade. IMHO.

My non-reference DAC unit is from the current ESS Sabre PRO family. Now that his reference? JK. I seriously doubt I would be able to hear the difference from the DMP. non-pro ESS chip esp since it a two chip design in DMP.

What is a "reference DAC"?

What you call your DAC when you got it from Schitt Audio.

It’s not uncommon at all, people bypass streamer’s DAC a lot, usually because they already have a DAC but like the streamer’s other features. In my case I already ordered the DAC-Z8, then I learned more about the DMP-A6. If I purchase this, as long as I have both then why not use both. If it’s proven that there’s no audible difference, I’ll just sell the Z8. Easy.
18 pages since I visited this thread, but is it correct that it doesn't come with a remote? :eek: That means you have to have either a preamp or a DAC with a preamp section in addition to this then? :oops:

Keep reading.

nawfal07

Not helpful. :p

Lol. Because of the feedback, there will be a BT/IR remote. Not sure how that will be arranged, will it be included in new batches and existing owner can request one, or simply sold separately.

There’s also a new firmware, mostly based on feedback:

System
  1. SSD support up to 4TB
  2. Fixed the issue of individual DSD audio file can not playback.
  3. Fixed the volume passthrough mode can not be saved while restart device
  4. delete the failed files while files copy failures,
  5. File manager added .m3u file playback
  6. Fix the issue of clock screensavers not displaying in 24-hour format
  7. Optimize VU meter display
  8. Added a option for XLR/RC hybrid output
  9. Fix the issue of occasional lost 200ms at start playback
CD
  1. Optimize CD album information scrape
  2. Added manually add album cover for CD Ripper
  3. Added writing ID3 metadata for CD Ripper
  4. Optimize information editing function for CD Ripper
  5. Fix the issue of Ripper's default serial number is wrong.
Music Library
  1. Add track information edit function
  2. Add artist edit and manual avatar replacement function
  3. Add album edit and manual album cover replacement function
  4. Long titles will have a moving effect at playback interface
  5. Optimize the display of playlist titles
  6. Optimize artist details to display album interface by default
  7. Added dynamic display function of navigation bar
  8. Added custom the menu item in library settings.
  9. Added show the album images at UPnP folder list
  10. Fix the issue of incorrect shows the album images while playplack in UPnP
  11. Optimized the issue of slow loading of album images in the playback interface
Settings
  1. Added volume limit option
  2. Added some default startup volume settings
  3. Optimize some interface
Just feel like I’m posting a movie spoiler here lol.

JustCoolin‘

Tempted, but I’d only use it as a streamer as well - not because I expect an audible difference, but because of all of the RME ADI-2 DAC‘s additional features.

I don‘t suppose there‘s a similar product with a comparable screen that’s only a transporter?

edit: typo

Last edited:

era

Can the DMP-A6 run a loop? Say I use its built-in streamer, output it from coaxial, run it through to a DSP like miniDSP, send the coax output of the miniDSP back to the DMP-A6.

Will that work so I could run digital processing?

Thanks

Top Bottom