• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI and DACs not evolving

MCH

Major Contributor
what recent MiniDSP product has HDMI? are they into something new?

Untitled.jpg

sq225917

Major Contributor
The reason stereo dacs don't have hdmi audio inputs is because that's what AVRs exist and why tvs offer downmixed audio out.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
My current eARC option cost me $600 and all I get is 2 channel 24 bit PCM from the optical out.. or you could use the HDMI out and send to something else.. but that can add some issues like latency etc (some people are sensitive to high ms lip sync, but I assume it wouldn't be THAT high). I have three sources for 4K with Dolby Vision, so a switch with stereo extracting capabilities made sense. My other backup option is a cheap HDMI extractor to run on the second output of my blu-ray player, which outputs 2 channel 24 bit 48 over Coax.

There's a cheaper option without 120hz / VRR support for $450.. but of course for both of them you'd need a DAC attached.

Last edited:

formdissolve

Forum Donor
The reason stereo dacs don't have hdmi audio inputs is because that's what AVRs exist and why tvs offer downmixed audio out.
Essence makes a DAC with HDMI 2.0b inputs (no eARC).. Amir measured it and it wasn't SOTA, but still has respectable SINAD, especially considering it's one of few standalone DACs with HDMI. I owned own for about a year and thought it sounded good, especially with all the input/output options on such a small device.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Amir measured it and it wasn't SOTA, but still has respectable SINAD, especially considering it's one of few standalone DACs with HDMI. I owned own for about a year and thought it sounded good, especially with all the input/output options on such a small device.
Indeed he did;
If Essence can do this for $649 there is no reason other companies can't.

Essence's specs are quite over the top though compared the the real data from the AP;
THD + N = 0.00001% at -141 dB S/N Ratio

JSmith

bungle

Many sources don’t have anything else than HDMI output (AppleTV, Google TV, gaming consoles, UHD Bluray players), so that is obvious gain that you can get audio to DAC. The HDMI CEC allows you auto power on and power off devices and also allow thing like volume control with any remote in your hand. If the DAC goes wild and starts to support Dolby MAT 2.0 (even if it is PCM only) then you can also get the best available stereo sound track that you cannot get by any other means in HDCP chain.
One additional benefit is automatic (and mandatory) lip sync.

sq225917

Major Contributor
They're claiming thd+noise at -141db on that Essence dac?

bungle

Essence makes a DAC with HDMI 2.0b inputs (no eARC).. Amir measured it and it wasn't SOTA, but still has respectable SINAD, especially considering it's one of few standalone DACs with HDMI. I owned own for about a year and thought it sounded good, especially with all the input/output options on such a small device.

This is almost the same:

OP
pau

pau

Lots of nice information. I wasnt aware of the Essense HDMI DAC. Good to see that someone had stepped forward to cross the markets.

What HDMI can / could bring to the table (with the positive side effect to connect almost with anything via HDMI)

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

prakasse

Lots of nice information. I wasnt aware of the Essense HDMI DAC. Good to see that someone had stepped forward to cross the markets.

What HDMI can / could bring to the table (with the positive side effect to connect almost with anything via HDMI)

View attachment 241558
Still it doesn't address the requirements. Atmos support is not there. All we need is preouts upto 2vrms with good SINAD. Agree this market has not evolved in last 5 years and stuck with 5.1 DD and DTS.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still it doesn't address the requirements. Atmos support is not there. All we need is preouts upto 2vrms with good SINAD. Agree this market has not evolved in last 5 years and stuck with 5.1 DD and DTS.
Why do you expect multichannel decoding on what is a Digital to Analogue converter? A DAC is not a processor. That job is for AVR/AVP.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unencrypted digital output from a protected HDMI signal is a violation of the license, and so it's impossible for a company to offer it. You either have to resort to DIY hardware mods, or rip/decrypt the content.
This is absolutely incorrect, they're just limited to 16bit 48KHz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only extractor I would think of entertaining in 2022 is the VanityPro by Audiopraise, but the fact that it cost as much as a bloody Denon 3800X is a joke.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only extractor I would think of entertaining in 2022 is the VanityPro by Audiopraise, but the fact that it cost as much as a bloody Denon 3800X is a joke.
Someone tested an HDMI 5.1 surround sound decoder here a short while ago, which is dirt cheap. Its SPDIF output was almost fully transparent. Wouldn’t that be suitable to extract HDMI audio?

Found it:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone tested an HDMI 5.1 surround sound decoder here a short while ago, which is dirt cheap. Its SPDIF output was almost fully transparent. Wouldn’t that be suitable to extract HDMI audio?

Found it:

My TV already has an optical output, for anyone who wants just stereo it’s a really good way to go about things.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My TV already has an optical output, for anyone who wants just stereo it’s a really good way to go about things.
I replied as you said you will “entertain” an idea of an extractor. The unit I posted has almost pure SPDIF extraction and is very cheap. For studio it does the job as good as the VanityPro.

bungle

That job is for AVR/AVP.
AVP: only really expensive choices there
AVR: not a nice fit with active speakers

DACs have USB, Toslink, Coax SPDIF, and some have AES (all of these are just same SPDIF, except USB, I think). The most common digital input they lack. Well, there is I2S which already use a HDMI as a connector. Just a few steps away is eARC/CEC and perhaps support for Dolby MAT 2.0 with PCM only. The DAC that provides this for 2.0 will get my money.

Top Bottom