• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI and DACs not evolving

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AVP: only really expensive choices there
AVR: not a nice fit with active speakers
Many AVRs have pre outs. Even the middle range and many generations old Denon 3300 AVR had them. Switch the inbuilt amplifiers and you have an AVP.

bungle

Many AVRs have pre outs. Even the middle range and many generations old Denon 3300 AVR had them. Switch the inbuilt amplifiers and you have an AVP.
Yes they basically have everything in a big ugly box that heats up, consumes electricity, has a ton of bugs, and measures badly. And then half of the box content is power amps, which I don’t need, nor want. If I were to forecast the future, the AVPs/AVRs die first.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they basically have everything in a big ugly box that heats up, consumes electricity, has a ton of bugs, and measures badly. And then half of the box content is power amps, which I don’t need, nor want. If I were to forecast the future, the AVPs/AVRs die first.
It is your choice not to like them but you may have to keep waiting... there is no other type of device on the market that can decode surround and outputs multi-channel audio.

bungle

It is your choice not to like them but you may have to keep waiting... there is no other type of device on the market that can decode surround and outputs multi-channel audio.
I don’t need multichannel. All I want is strereo (or 2.1) with things like:

- xlr output
- earc input

In affordable package (below 1500€)

Think any dac measured here with earc.

look up the thread what I will gain with that.

I know I have to wait. Thus I am running an AVP from 2007ish.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t need multichannel. All I want is strereo (or 2.1) with things like:

- xlr output
- earc input

Think any dac measured here with earc.

look up the thread what I will gain with that.

I know I have to wait. Thus I am running an AVP from 2007ish.
The thread is about HDMI input and your comment was on AVR/AVP. As both are multi-channel I was confused.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But 2.1 output is multichannel, and 2.1 content is quite unusual.
Or from strictly a speaker point of view just two speakers and a sub, altho bass management would be nice. What 2.1 content is there at all?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What 2.1 content is there at all?
As far as I know and understand 2.1 is the output from a stereo processor. The source is stereo.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I know and understand 2.1 is the output from a stereo processor. The source is stereo.
Just wondering if there had been any efforts to do a 2.1 audio format, i.e. with an LFE channel. None I can think of.....

Trell

Major Contributor
Or from strictly a speaker point of view just two speakers and a sub, altho bass management would be nice. What 2.1 content is there at all?

If there is any, and I don’t know of any such content, it likely would be encoded in a multichannel format with other channels than LR and LFE channel not having any sound at all.

Stereo in multichannel format is common, like from Netflix. That pisses me off but that is another discussion.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering if there had been any efforts to do a 2.1 audio format, i.e. with an LFE channel. None I can think of.....
There is no need as stereo a music format, whereas LFE is the effect channel of a film soundtrack.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no need as stereo a music format, whereas LFE is the effect channel of a film soundtrack.
It can be used for music, usually isn't even in surround formats for music, tho. Music doesn't necessarily mean 2ch stereo either.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It can be used for music, usually isn't even in surround formats for music, tho. Music doesn't necessarily mean 2ch stereo either.
I was talking about stereo as the sub thread is about 2.1.

Trell

Major Contributor

In SACD the .1 channel is not an effect channel, though.

Some recording labels, like OPUS3, has the bad practice of applying their own bass management. :facepalm:

bungle

The usability gains, e.g. my daughter can pick Apple TV remote and press power button. This turns on my UST projector (it already works both on/off). It should turn my DAC on too (which doesn’t work), which in turn turns my active speakers on (works already with master slave power cord where dac is master). If DAC had eARC this would work. Lip sync would be perfect, and I possibly could get over 48 kHz/24bit soundtrack too (uncompressed). Similarly when she stops, she can push the power button and thats it. Also volume control/mute works directly from Apple TV remote (this I can get to work with Apple TV as it can learn ir codes). It is first world problem, but there is solution, and that is eARC.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The usability gains, e.g. my daughter can pick Apple TV remote and press power button. This turns on my UST projector (it already works both on/off). It should turn my DAC on too (which doesn’t work), which in turn turns my active speakers on (works already with master slave power cord where dac is master). If DAC had eARC this would work. Lip sync would be perfect, and I possibly could get over 48 kHz/24bit soundtrack too (uncompressed). Similarly when she stops, she can push the power button and thats it. Also volume control/mute works directly from Apple TV remote (this I can get to work with Apple TV as it can learn ir codes). It is first world problem, but there is solution, and that is eARC.
So you only want to listen to a down-mix where often LFE and surround channels are omitted?

bungle

So you only want to listen to a down-mix where often LFE and surround channels are omitted?
That is what I am fine with it. If that .1 could be added, even better. Surrounds and height channels can be omitted, let’s say my maximum is 3.2, but I am fine if manufacturers start to solve this with 2.0.

After this is done, then next thing that interests me is room correction. Thus seeing MiniDSP on that HDMI list at least gives some hope.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bungle

Odd to want to listen only part of the sound track but I respect your choice.
Didn’t you just say downmix channels, or whatever there is in stereo mix. Don’t some LFE data get there already? And why would I want surround and height channels, if I don’t even have those speakers? I think most that adds to movie soundtrack outside stereo is LFE and center (which I don’t believe these stereo DAC start to support soon, turning them 3.1 mch DACs). For music the stereo contains it all (yes, cutting some corners here).

Last edited:
Top Bottom