• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Future Review Test Case Suggestion for AVR Products: Test utilizing 48kHz over HDMI and Optical

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I'd like to suggest that future AV products (such that are used in Home Theatre situations) have a test run at 48kHz over HDMI and Optical since that is the standard in this market (Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos/ and DTS-HD Master audio, streaming from the optical port on your TV, etc). I don't know if anything will improve, but since that is the standard sample rate used in this market, it might be worth it.

Any thoughts on this @amirm ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is true that most of the video content has sample rate of 48 kHz and not 44.1 kHz. I picked the latter so that we could compare their DAC performance to stereo products. Mixing that list with both sample rates may cause some objections.

Then again, I am frequently catching the measurements being at 48 kHz and when I change it to 44.1 kHz, it usually makes no difference. This makes sense as the only impact is wider bandwidth which is marginal. I could run such a test in the next AVR and show the comparison.

OP
formdissolve

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Thanks for the clarification! I figured it wouldn't be much of a difference, but also wondered if manufacturers may try to optimize performance for 48kHz. Appreciate the reply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom