• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extracting audio from hdmi

Kiwimike

Hello again and thanks for that info in my last thread.
I am getting a S.M.S.L D6S DAC arriving soon hopefully , which will be inputting to my Marantz PM6006 2 channel amplifier.
What are your thoughts on extracting audio from the HDMI out of my tv and inputting it through either the USB or the coaxial or optical plugs on the dac ? Or would it be better to just use tv optical out to DAC optical in?

Thanks again for any advice
Mike

JSmith

Master Contributor
What are your thoughts on extracting audio from the HDMI out of my tv and inputting it through either the USB or the coaxial or optical plugs on the dac ?
Yes you can use a HDMI audio extractor out to optical, definitely not USB though... but will need to ensure it's only stereo output from TV.
Or would it be better to just use tv optical out to DAC optical in?
That would most certainly be easier... not better or worse as such. Just watch though, some TV's output too much jitter for some DAC's which then have trouble locking onto the signal.
S.M.S.L D6S DAC
This uses an ES9039Q2M and I believe has the DPLL adjustment option enabled, so if you get any audio dropouts adjust this setting on your DAC.

JSmith

OP
K

Kiwimike

Thanks for this info , I don't want to lose any bandwidth which I think you do with optical ?
What if I got a HDMI to coaxial converter and extract the audio that way ?

Cheers
Mike

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Thanks for this info , I don't want to lose any bandwidth which I think you do with optical ?
What if I got a HDMI to coaxial converter and extract the audio that way ?

Cheers
Mike
Extracting HDMI audio directly from your TV requires something that supports ARC or eARC which can be kind of expensive. If you find one, you can use that to send optical or coax to your SMSL. I assume you're using the apps on your TV? Since that SMSL has an ESS chip, it's possible your TV might cause dropouts.. but that's not confirmed for every brand of TV. Someone mentioned it's possible to adjust the DPLL in an earlier comment though..

JSmith

Master Contributor
8K VRR and HDMI 2.1 eARC/ARC/HDMI sound extractor that supports ANY video and/or audio signal in existence today including VRR, DV, LLDV, HLG, HDR10+, DTS:X, ATMOS and more…

JSmith

Top Bottom