• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI and DACs not evolving

pau

Hey,

Why is the companies like miniDSP or any DAC's outside of AVR's lack the basic support for,

- HDMI in (to extract audio witth HDMI enabled functionalities , decode DD, Atmos , volume controls via CEC etc.)
- Optical Outs (external DACS etc used. -> where the hell is the devices with optical outs. my TV has one thank god.)

i have no use for AVR but i would like the HDMI improvements provided. Seems that the DACs are not evolving according to the mainnstream useability. if only the miniDSP or similar would accept the standards my life would be much easier.

if balanced is required, then the industry seems very divided. Buy full scale AVR preamp (HDMI) for 10k$ with XLR's or buy something like miniDSP and use optical from TV..

If the next TV has issues dont we have anyn industry between 10k and 1k?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Why is the companies like miniDSP or any DAC's outside of AVR's lack the basic support for,

- HDMI in (to extract audio witth HDMI enabled functionalities , decode DD, Atmos , volume controls via CEC etc.)
- Optical Outs (external DACS etc used. -> where the hell is the devices with optical outs. my TV has one thank god.)

My guess, and that's really all it is, is that the smaller companies can't really underwrite the cost of licensing HDCP and all the other bits and pieces that go into a modern AVR.

It would be nice to have some kind of HDMI digital splitter that I could feed into maybe a minidsp DDRC88D then straight into my JBL708Ps (digital input), but no such luck.

dwkdnvr

Unencrypted digital output from a protected HDMI signal is a violation of the license, and so it's impossible for a company to offer it. You either have to resort to DIY hardware mods, or rip/decrypt the content.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Optical is dead. It was never updated to support anything past compressed 5.1, uncompressed max is stereo. Manufacturers consider it a legacy connector. I would not expect to see it at all for much longer except maybe on stereo DACs.

HDMI IS the digital transport intended for consumer use. The limitations on licensing and difficulties in supporting the connector due to HDCP are not a bug, they're a feature.

Unencrypted digital output from a protected HDMI signal is a violation of the license, and so it's impossible for a company to offer it. You either have to resort to DIY hardware mods, or rip/decrypt the content.
They do rarely permit some types of digital output with a limitation of 16-bit, 48khz. The JBL SDP-55 can do this over Dante and some of the Trinnovs have AES outputs. I am sure the extremely high price points, professional transports, and rarity of these options is part of the reason they're permitted.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess, and that's really all it is, is that the smaller companies can't really underwrite the cost of licensing HDCP and all the other bits and pieces that go into a modern AVR.

It would be nice to have some kind of HDMI digital splitter that I could feed into maybe a minidsp DDRC88D then straight into my JBL708Ps (digital input), but no such luck.

A Meridian HD621 or a Audiopraise VanityPro can turn HDMI to 4x SPDIF/AES if you are starting with a source that has been decoded in to PCM. Seems like an AppleTV paired with one of these would be an ideal solution.

Michael

OP
pau

pau

Optical is dead. It was never updated to support anything past compressed 5.1, uncompressed max is stereo. Manufacturers consider it a legacy connector. I would not expect to see it at all for much longer except maybe on stereo DACs.

HDMI IS the digital transport intended for consumer use. The limitations on licensing and difficulties in supporting the connector due to HDCP are not a bug, they're a feature.

They do rarely permit some types of digital output with a limitation of 16-bit, 48khz. The JBL SDP-55 can do this over Dante and some of the Trinnovs have AES outputs. I am sure the extremely high price points, professional transports, and rarity of these options is part of the reason they're permitted.

Well stereo or 2.1 would be all i would need to be honest. Just for stereo sounds via DACs there is lots to acquire with HDMI -> Dolby decoding, Onscreen menus, volume controls, CEC on / off, possibly loudness & adjusts. the gab is huge to invest 7k-10k to AVR preamp to just use it with stereo setup..

Im quit happy with HTPC+OLED providing all i need via optical. Just wondering the markets overall and is my need such minority that no devices drop in there.

Anyways it was fridays drunken rant for the current market driven situation. :)

bungle

Just wondering the markets overall and is my need such minority that no devices drop in there.
My needs:
- HDMI eARC input (minority cares) in DAC (minority cares)
- XLR output (minority cares) from DAC (minority cares)
- Analog inputs (minority cares) in DAC/Pre (minority cares)
- More than one Toslink input (minority cares) in DAC (minority cares)

So:
- DACs (minority cares)
- Pre/Pro (minority cares)
- AVR (minority cares)
- Active speakers (minority cares)

Average Joe goes to store and buys big screen and bluetooth speaker. Moderate Joe buys OLED and a sound bar. Everyone else fits to some small niche.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well stereo or 2.1 would be all i would need to be honest. Just for stereo sounds via DACs there is lots to acquire with HDMI -> Dolby decoding, Onscreen menus, volume controls, CEC on / off, possibly loudness & adjusts. the gab is huge to invest 7k-10k to AVR preamp to just use it with stereo setup..

Im quit happy with HTPC+OLED providing all i need via optical. Just wondering the markets overall and is my need such minority that no devices drop in there.

Anyways it was fridays drunken rant for the current market driven situation. :)
How about one of these? https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n2000a/index.html

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why can’t they license it?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. It is perfectly possible to use HDMI input on a stereo unit and even offer a sub out with adjustable active crossover. The license excuse doesn’t hold. The manufacturers are simply lazy.
Or Yamaha has sufficient license for this use from HDMI....didn't look as to the Dolby type features that also can cost....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a nice looking amp. But I read somewhere 10-11keur with a pair of speakers? Well I would just hope it is 8k pair of speakers :D
Well if it is a 2-3k receiver it's a bit overpriced. Was thinking more like R-N803 territory, but didn't look for pricing.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do we have a lot of sound bar manufacturers, some even quite small and they don’t seem to struggle wit eARC or Atmos decoding.
Because they sell far more of those than geeky audiophile 2ch dac type setups :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
Well if it is a 2-3k receiver it's a bit overpriced. Was thinking more like R-N803 territory, but didn't look for pricing.
ca. 3700eur here:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At the end of the day it’s a cost. In this industry there’s a place for every price range. Still HDMI input is very scarce on stereo amplifiers. There are few around though.

IIRC HDMI hands out volume discounts, too and Yamaha is probably a major customer already....compared to a smaller outfit that has no volume to speak of....so maybe not about courage is all I'm saying.

Top Bottom