• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External decoder for surround sound?

JeffinMaine

My AVR is completely out of date, though I still like pro logic II. But if I wanted to decode the newest surround technologies from streaming devices (Roku) and Android TV, is there such a thing as a decoder that I can purchase to extract from HDMI to send to my existing Denon AVR-1907 EXT IN or optical IN? Or is the only option to buy a whole new AVR?

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• extIN.jpg
    extIN.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 36

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The surround processors that I'm aware of are expensive. My 5.1 channel Sony AVR was about $300 USD. I upgraded from my old one for the same reason. It didn't have HDMI.

I've seen inexpensive HDMI DACs or "sound extractors" but they don't decode the "shiny disc" formats.

OP
J

JeffinMaine

The surround processors that I'm aware of are expensive. My 5.1 channel Sony AVR was about $300 USD. I upgraded from my old one for the same reason. It didn't have HDMI.

I've seen inexpensive HDMI DACs or "sound extractors" but they don't decode the "shiny disc" formats.
Hmm... that's such a bummer. To throw away perfectly good amplifiers in my existing Denon seems like such a waste. So people keep having to buy new AVRs every time a new surround sound technology is introduced?

OP
J

JeffinMaine

someone needs to send that in for an ASR review!
I think it would at least need an hdmi port. The optical output on my tv does output dolby digital and dd+, but my receiver, even though it recognizes the signal as multichannel dolby digital, on has actual audio on the left and right front channels.

ace_xp2

All the aliexpress/amazon breakout extractors I'm aware of will only put pcm signals out the rcas. So if you have a dolby digital or dts hdmi signal, it won't process it, though they will usually break the signal into an spdif port which looks like it would be useful to you. I've used one of these:

In combination with a fire stick and gotten full surround sound (well, the full 5.1 they offer) from the usual streaming suspects.

Keep in mind that if the breakout systems did put out signals on the rcas, only a small subset of this era of avr would actually full process those inputs. IOW there's no crossover network applied, these systems often relied on the external processor that was hooked up having that capability.

ButtonPuncher

Check out the Dolby DP564. It is an older but neat box that processes Dolby Digital. Sorry, no DTS, but most TV's can be set to force a specific format.
They typically go for around $100 shipped.
It has a really neat multichannel display.

I feed mine with the optical output form the TV.
It has either all XLR output or BNC coaxial digital. You can just wire the XLR's to your RCA inputs.

The only thing to watch out for is that the power supplies go bad in these units. Their stock design had a shroud around them that causes them to burn up.
Their are power supplies readily available and it's easy to swap out.
Look for a XP Power SDS60UT07.
If the eBay listing shows it dead and says "Part or not working", you can bet it's the power supply.

If you do get a working one off of eBay, when you get it, open it up and remove the swiss cheese shroud over the power supply. That'll help extend its life.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing you really need is an HDMI extractor to SPDIF with bitstream support. No need for analog connections, no need for decoders.

The AVR already does DD and DTS, which is about what those cheap HDMI decoders do (if you’re lucky).

If you’re after things like ATMOS, buy another AVR.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the question is what really is needed here. if the device has the codecs needed already onboard no other device should be necessary

OP
J

JeffinMaine

My system sounds pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be able to successfully use anything but the original dolby matrixed 2 track that is decoded to add surrounds and center. It seems like the only real simple upgrade would be a new avr with hdmi inputs, but it's probably not even worth it for me.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
if an incoming signal is not decoded by your AVR it is probably a Dolby Digital Plus signal?
cause regular 5.1 yours should do

1704061889728.png

chelgrian

My AVR is completely out of date, though I still like pro logic II. But if I wanted to decode the newest surround technologies from streaming devices (Roku) and Android TV, is there such a thing as a decoder that I can purchase to extract from HDMI to send to my existing Denon AVR-1907 EXT IN or optical IN? Or is the only option to buy a whole new AVR?

Thanks,
Jeff
Does your TV have an optical output? If it does then in general Android TV will pass through Dolby Digital from things connected to the TV via HDMI to the optical output which you can then connect to the AVR. You may need to change some settings on the TV to achieve this.

We'd need to know exact model of TV and firmware version to investigate any further.

If this does not work or you want any thing better than Dolby Digital such as Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD or Atmos then this requires HDMI as a transport. New the cheapest dedicated processors which consume HDMI and output analogue which you can connect to the 7.2 input on your AVR would generally cost more than an entirely new AVR.

The cheapest processor I am aware of is Emotiva BasX MC1 (which I have no idea if it is any good) at around $1200 an entire modern Denon 7.1 channel AVR such as the X2800H (which I also have no idea if is any good) is around the same price.

Last edited:
OP
J

JeffinMaine

what are you connecting to the AVR? your TV? Have you set the digital output to Dolby or surround or whatever?
When I set the digital output on my TV to dolby digital (it also has dolby digital plus as an option), my receiver does see a multichannel signal and enters dolby digital mode - but I only hear actual audio on front left and right. If I instead set the digital output to AUTO, the sound is not recognized as dolby digital by the receiver but it does decode correctly with Pro Logic II or an early version of DTS. So I leave the tv setting on AUTO - seems to be the best I can do.

OP
J

JeffinMaine

Does your TV have an optical output? If it does then in general Android TV will pass through Dolby Digital from things connected to the TV via HDMI to the optical output which you can then connect to the AVR. You may need to change some settings on the TV to achieve this.

We'd need to know exact model of TV and firmware version to investigate any further.

If this does not work or you want any thing better than Dolby Digital such as Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD or Atmos then this requires HDMI as a transport. New the cheapest dedicated processors which consume HDMI and output analogue which you can connect to the 7.2 input on your AVR would generally cost more than an entirely new AVR.

The cheapest processor I am aware of is Emotiva BasX MC1 (which I have no idea if it is any good) at around $1200 an entire modern Denon 7.1 channel AVR such as the X2800H (which I also have no idea if is any good) is around the same price.
The TV does have an optical output, and I do use it with the receiver. It is an android tv. Here's the model # etc:

I think my only reasonable option, if I really want to get current with multichannel audio, is to purchase a new receiver. I'm not sure it's worth the $300 to me.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my receiver does see a multichannel signal and enters dolby digital mode - but I only hear actual audio on front left and right.
Sounds like a setup issue with the receiver. Did you enable the correct channel mode?

Top Bottom