• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External decoder for surround sound?

chelgrian

Sounds like a setup issue with the receiver. Did you enable the correct channel mode?
It's a TV limitation I'm afraid the Sharp FAQ has this to say

"If you are watching TV, through the tuner connection, you can output HD audio using the Digital Optical Audio. If your source is connected via HDMI, it will let you output audio from the digital output, but it will down-sample the audio and output 2-channel stereo. Lastly, if you own the LE630U, LE6300 or the LE600U series models you cannot output HD audio from the digital optical output. If you are not using the tuner in your AQUOS TV as the source, it is best to connect your source directly to your audio device."

This will be to save on licensing fees to Dolby as they charge based on stereo or multichannel for the Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital reduction needed to go from many HDMI sources to Optical.

I'm afraid the only solution for the OP for this TV is an AVR with HDMI inputs and to connect the sources to that.

OP
J

JeffinMaine

It's a TV limitation I'm afraid the Sharp FAQ has this to say

"If you are watching TV, through the tuner connection, you can output HD audio using the Digital Optical Audio. If your source is connected via HDMI, it will let you output audio from the digital output, but it will down-sample the audio and output 2-channel stereo. Lastly, if you own the LE630U, LE6300 or the LE600U series models you cannot output HD audio from the digital optical output. If you are not using the tuner in your AQUOS TV as the source, it is best to connect your source directly to your audio device."

This will be to save on licensing fees to Dolby as they charge based on stereo or multichannel for the Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital reduction needed to go from many HDMI sources to Optical.

I'm afraid the only solution for the OP for this TV is an AVR with HDMI inputs and to connect the sources to that.
Wow, that's a really helpful quote from the FAQ - I never saw that. It at least confirms what I've been experiencing. Thanks!

ace_xp2

Too late now, but I did come across what purports to be a real dts/ac3 to multi-channel decoder:

You would still need an hdmi to spdif box to get the signal from an hdmi source, but this is the first of these I've ever encountered that would put out a decoded signal.
Keep in mind for interested parties, that the output here will be full signal at every channel. In other words, there's no dsp that an avr would have cutting the low notes from the l/c/r/s and sending them to the lfe. You need big speakers, or an avr that processes multi-channel input, which most that had multi-channel in didn't.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could upgrade to an Apple TV that will output everything as linear PCM via HDMI. You then could try and find an Oppo 103 (or better) that decodes that HDMI into analog channels which you could feed into your receiver. That may sound complicated but will sound good, plus you have a blurray player that plays everything. I guess the Roku box might do linear PCM via HDMI too.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Too late now, but I did come across what purports to be a real dts/ac3 to multi-channel decoder:

You would still need an hdmi to spdif box to get the signal from an hdmi source, but this is the first of these I've ever encountered that would put out a decoded signal.
Keep in mind for interested parties, that the output here will be full signal at every channel. In other words, there's no dsp that an avr would have cutting the low notes from the l/c/r/s and sending them to the lfe. You need big speakers, or an avr that processes multi-channel input, which most that had multi-channel in didn't.

OP
J

JeffinMaine

Thanks for all these other suggestions. I got the Onkyo receiver, and I still have an annoying issue. I can't seem to get ARC to work to deliver sound from the android TV's internal apps tot he receiver. Dolby digital does make it through my old roku express directly into the receiver, but I was really hoping to get ARC audio out of the TV. The setup program says there is an error while it tries to set up ARC. It is true that the only HDMI cables I have to try it with are high speed with ethernet (probably 1.4), but they are supposed to do ARC. I was hoping to use the android TV apps because I think they are actually giving me 4k, unlike the roku express, which is stuck in 1080.

Is it possible all I really need is an actual HDMI 2.1 cable? Or maybe my cheapo TV just can't really deliver ARC?

Could this be an Onkyo problem? There was another inexpensive AVR on sale recently from Denon, but I'd have to deal with returning the Onkyo to Adorama...

OP
J

JeffinMaine

Thanks for all these other suggestions. I got the Onkyo receiver, and I still have an annoying issue. I can't seem to get ARC to work to deliver sound from the android TV's internal apps tot he receiver. Dolby digital does make it through my old roku express directly into the receiver, but I was really hoping to get ARC audio out of the TV. The setup program says there is an error while it tries to set up ARC. It is true that the only HDMI cables I have to try it with are high speed with ethernet (probably 1.4), but they are supposed to do ARC. I was hoping to use the android TV apps because I think they are actually giving me 4k, unlike the roku express, which is stuck in 1080.

Is it possible all I really need is an actual HDMI 2.1 cable? Or maybe my cheapo TV just can't really deliver ARC?

Could this be an Onkyo problem? There was another inexpensive AVR on sale recently from Denon, but I'd have to deal with returning the Onkyo to Adorama...
Just to complete the thread, I thought I should mention that I was able to get ARC to work between my TV and the Onkyo receiver with a new monoprice 8k 2.1 cable. The initial setup procedure in the Onkyo still gives me an error when doing the ARC setup, but it seems to work on the 2nd try. I'm not even sure if the intial setup procedure is necessary. I do feel like ARC in general is a little flaky, but I have it working for the moment. Thanks everyone for you help with getting me true dolby digital and dd+. I was tempted to try some of the dedicated decoder boxes suggested, but I decided a new cheap receiver was just simpler.

ddaudio

There is a real gap in the market for a cheapish hdmi surround decoder with fixed level 7.1 outputs which does all the DD/DTS modes and Audyssey or equivalents, for plugging in to a 7.1 input on an older AVR.

It used to be the case that all but the very cheapest receivers would have 7.1 pre-outs (albeit variable level only), but these days you have to go quite far up the range to get this feature. It seems counterintuitive: a higher end receiver surely has less need for external power amplification.

Why doesn't Denon and the others take their cheapest 7.1 Atmos receiver, strip out the power amps and add a 7.1 line level output, switchable between fixed and variable level for use with either a pre-hdmi receiver or separate power amps? I'd certainly be interested.

OP
J

JeffinMaine

There is a real gap in the market for a cheapish hdmi surround decoder with fixed level 7.1 outputs which does all the DD/DTS modes and Audyssey or equivalents, for plugging in to a 7.1 input on an older AVR.

It used to be the case that all but the very cheapest receivers would have 7.1 pre-outs (albeit variable level only), but these days you have to go quite far up the range to get this feature. It seems counterintuitive: a higher end receiver surely has less need for external power amplification.

Why doesn't Denon and the others take their cheapest 7.1 Atmos receiver, strip out the power amps and add a 7.1 line level output, switchable between fixed and variable level for use with either a pre-hdmi receiver or separate power amps? I'd certainly be interested.
Totally! The cynical part of me thinks it has something to do with planned obsolescence - the way it is now, Denon et al can just wait for the next new surround sound technology to be released and require all their users to buy a new AVR.

ddaudio

Totally! The cynical part of me thinks it has something to do with planned obsolescence - the way it is now, Denon et al can just wait for the next new surround sound technology to be released and require all their users to buy a new AVR.
I think you're exactly right. And I suppose the cost of entry for a small company trying to rectify this would be prohibitive due to Dolby etc licencing fees. I wonder how feasible it would be to add a multi-channel line output to a low end Dolby Atmos receiver? Probably a question for the DIY audio forum.

Top Bottom