• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Jacob8275

Yes I know that review of the A07 (I bought 2 A07's because of it) - my point is I don't really think this Fosi Audio device is a "completely different type of product"? It uses the same amplifier chip - but it looks to me like they added tone control, a bit extra power but at the cost of worse SINAD scores. The A07 got 83 while the TB10D got 76?
Just received the Fosi Audio TB10D(new version) and Aiyima A07 from Amazon.

Apart from the tone controls, both the Fosi Audio TB10D and the Aiyima A07 seem similar.

To be fair, the tone controls circuit should be shorted before reviewing testing as having tone controls will reduce the SINAD, you can see in the testing pictures (A07/84, TB10D (with tone controls)/80, TB10D (shorted tone controls)/85). (The data measured by different instruments will be slightly different)

As shown in the circuit layout, the electronic components of the A07 are arranged on the left, while the right side of the board has a large blank area, and the TPA3255 chip has a relatively small heat sink, so the A07 is quite hot during operation, whereas the TB10D has a more reasonable circuit layout.

There is no great difference in listening between the two, except for the fact that there is a noticeable difference in power and more playability with the tone controls with the TB10D, and the Amazon price is the same ($79.99).

My preference is for the Fosi Audio TB10D (p.s., the new version).

IMG_6387.jpeg

AD25A6DF-730A-4078-A93C-82E16CFE1003.png

06629B37-7BA1-425f-B074-6210E4710413.png

9C8074B0-01A9-462d-83A7-82BFA55C2091.png

RHO

Major Contributor
Why would you short the tone controls for testing? This is not how the customer will use the product. Amir is not testing the performance of the amplifier circuit. He testing the performance of the product. And the Fosi has tone controls, which influence the performance. So he should include them in the test. As he, rightfully so, does.

iLoveCats

Why would you short the tone controls for testing? This is not how the customer will use the product. Amir is not testing the performance of the amplifier circuit. He testing the performance of the product. And the Fosi has tone controls, which influence the performance. So he should include them in the test. As he, rightfully so, does.
I think he's trying to tell if they are in fact the same amplifier, just one has tone controls.

RHO

Major Contributor
I think he's trying to tell if they are in fact the same amplifier, just one has tone controls.
It's a chip amp. Implementation for these budget products will always be very, very similar. Yes, PCB design has some influence. I do not find it surprising to find out that these 2 amp stages perform very similar. It is exactly as expected and could be easily deduced from the measurements Amir did, including the tone controls.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apart from the tone controls, both the Fosi Audio TB10D and the Aiyima A07 seem similar.
Cool, yes this is what I thought - even though I have 2 A07's If Fosi Audio offered the same 1/2 price deal on Amazon.co.uk (as they had when selling off the older model a week ago) I would go for it. And if they offered a version without Tone Controls (to get better SINAD) and with the better heat sync I think they definitely would have a better product.

okok

topping pa5 also using tpa3000 series can price much much higher?

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
topping pa5 also using tpa3000 series can price much much higher?

Topping gets higher performance out of the same chip with much more sophisticated circuitry that overcomes a couple of the limitations of the simpler designs from Aiyima and Fosi, both of which seem to be loosely based on TI's OEM evaluation board. The PA5's world-beating SINAD and ability to handle different load impedances without impacting frequency response are some of the fruits of that effort. Whether such major performance improvements are worth all that extra $$$ -- and possibly dealing with the reliability issues some folks have had with their PA5s -- is up to the prospective buyer. For my fairly undemanding application -- driving the four ambience/surround speakers in my 6.1 system -- it definitely isn't, so I'll be sticking with the two A07s currently doing that job.

Toku

Major Contributor
They are not yet for sale, so the price is set to big value. Wait ultil some day after 8 Otc :D
The price display is a strange number due to an input error. I think maybe 3e audio mistyped the input.
I've seen this before with other products as well. It is better to check with 3e audio before ordering.

Last edited:

trungdtmc

375HP2482

Now we have several inexpensive chip-based Class D products with close to 16-bit dynamic range at outputs approaching 100 watts.

Looking back on my youngster days with a 7-watt tube amplifier, you guys don't know how good you have it.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Now we have several inexpensive chip-based Class D products with close to 16-bit dynamic range at outputs approaching 100 watts.

Looking back on my youngster days with a 7-watt tube amplifier, you guys don't know how good you have it.
Not only that, but with 46VDC from a dirt-cheap SMPS my A07s can deliver more clean power than the Kenwood KM-8002 I loved back in the 1970s or the Adcom GFA-535 I swore by back in the 1980s!

Toku

Major Contributor
Not only that, but with 46VDC from a dirt-cheap SMPS my A07s can deliver more clean power than the Kenwood KM-8002 I loved back in the 1970s or the Adcom GFA-535 I swore by back in the 1980s!
I am going through the same period and I agree with your opinion.
But Kenwood KM-8002 was too expensive for me to buy.

375HP2482

I have been using my old Kenwood KR-6030 receiver form the early 80s. Fine amplifier section, 100 watts/4 ohms (and a bit less noise too) which the Aiyima can't quite match with the bundled power supply. But my Kenwood tape loop switches are failing, so I use the Aiyima. Which shouldn't go much beyond the bundled power supply -- its cooling system is primitive and won't support much more power.

I have to shake my head at the so-called audiophiles in the Amazon reviews who swap out the venerable NE5532s for "better" op amps and then proceed to describe night-and-day improvements, as if they can perceive the very minimal change.

Top Bottom