• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible you may need to turn on "Amazon Music HD/UHD Beta" found in Browse: Amazon Music: Settings:
Slide the button to the right so it's turns green.

HD.png

It's also possible the song selected simply doesn't offer a high resolution version. When searching Amazon Music the results will display a label identifying high res music. Select songs narked as high res to test this feature.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible you may need to turn on "Amazon Music HD/UHD Beta" found in Browse: Amazon Music: Settings:
Slide the button to the right so it's turns green.

View attachment 214447

It's also possible the song selected simply doesn't offer a high resolution version. When searching Amazon Music the results will display a label identifying high res music. Select songs narked as high res to test this feature.
Yes, it's on but per the screenshot, app shows it is sending 24 bit but RME says 16 bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-111447.png
    Screenshot_20220624-111447.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 110

Turambar

Yes, it's on but per the screenshot, app shows it is sending 24 bit but RME says 16 bit.
Please note the "HD".

There is a known bug, and all the 44.1 kHz stuff is displayed in the WiiM incorrectly as 24 bits.

However, when the content is really 16 bits, it displays "HD", while if the content is really 24 bits, it displays "UHD".

Your RME is fine, and displaying the real bit depth of the file.

D

Deleted member 47859

The poor man's Roon.
This sounds kind of dismissive. I would say it depends on what you want to do. LMS has functionality that Roon is lacking and the other way around. I tried Roon more than once but returned happily to LMS which does what I need. This can be the opposite for others.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This sounds kind of dismissive. I would say it depends on what you want to do. LMS has functionality that Roon is lacking and the other way around. I tried Roon more than once but returned happily to LMS which does what I need. This can be the opposite for others.
Roon can't (won't) support UPnP/DLNA. A non-starter for me. I've happily used LMS for years.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Roon can't (won't) support UPnP/DLNA. A non-starter for me. I've happily used LMS for years.
just looked at the Roon pages where they express “contempt” for UPNP - pretty strong emotive response from a tech company. Even Linn’s criticism of Tidal’s MQA doesn’t go that far ;)

thibodeaux

I've just installed an Android Emulator ..... Bluestacks and you can do it with that, have just been casting from laptop to WiiM.
I may have a look and see if there's an iOS emulater as well, the only thing I don't like in the Adroid App is if you go into Library / Artists and click on one of them it shows you all of their albums as opposed to jus those in your library, you can then click on library but it shows you every song in your library as opposed to the albums you've put in there ... iOS show you the albums.

Maybe I should just update to Win 11 but I've only just updated to 10 :facepalm:
Three questions - 1. Would you mind describing how you use WIIM on BlueStacks? 2. Does this require some kind of process switching between the PC and any mobile device you're using with the same WIIM? 3. Whst would Win 11 do for you in terms of your WIIM setup?

Witterings

Three questions - 1. Would you mind describing how you use WIIM on BlueStacks? 2. Does this require some kind of process switching between the PC and any mobile device you're using with the same WIIM? 3. Whst would Win 11 do for you in terms of your WIIM setup?

I haven't been using it for the WiiM App although now you mention it maybe that's possible.

I googled Bluestacks, downloaded and installed it and I can't remember exactly where in it but you then download Apps within it so searched for the Amazom music app. Now I open Bluestacks and then click on My Games in the left hand menu and Amazon Music's saved in there.

Question 3, I'm running Windows 10 not 11 so I don't know I'm afraid.

Bamyasi

just looked at the Roon pages where they express “contempt” for UPNP - pretty strong emotive response from a tech company. Even Linn’s criticism of Tidal’s MQA doesn’t go that far ;)

The way Roon works is indeed the opposite of UPnP model, its' more like Airplay. UPnP or any other client-server-control design does not fit their model at all. They tried many times to explain this but people keep asking on their forums why they do not support UPnP (or Alexa, etc). I guess this was finally getting on the nerves of some developers. Roon design is very simplistic, which used to provide a perfect optimal solution, but that happened to be 15+ years ago. The times have changed and it is no longer such. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any modern streaming standard being developed to replace the old designs like Roon and/or UPnP AV.

thibodeaux

I haven't been using it for the WiiM App although now you mention it maybe that's possible.

I googled Bluestacks, downloaded and installed it and I can't remember exactly where in it but you then download Apps within it so searched for the Amazom music app. Now I open Bluestacks and then click on My Games in the left hand menu and Amazon Music's saved in there.

Question 3, I'm running Windows 10 not 11 so I don't know I'm afraid.
Ah, so you're using the AM app - gotcha! I don't have the beta that allows for bit perfect playback from AM app yet, so that wouldn't be great.

Ah, you just mentioned so I assumed you knew something I didn't ;)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Quick 'n dirty test of a very basic display of WiiM data in an HTML page. Unfortunately not directly from the WiiM Mini, but requires a host server, such as a Pi or anything that can run Python. Much to be done still...

View attachment 214472

I'd still like to get the Pi's to output your now playing display thingy over HDMI to my 85 inch TV

The Sonos HDMI thingy looks complicated for me though (adapting to WiiM Amazon Music casting )

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New apps shows UHD/hd when casting from amazon apps. It wasn’t there before this update.

Top Bottom