• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

PopBlast

Hello! I have a 2.0 audio system with Aiyima A07 amplifier. I would like to add an active subwoofer (Jamo S810), however I'm not sure if it will be possible. Can I connect the active subwoofer with only 1 LFE input to the AUX 3.5 output on Aiyima A07?

RonaldUwU

As you see in this graph from amazon,
47888448-5f9b-488e-8c3d-c2f00f35a2c9.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
the Aiyima A07 can put out 180w @ 8ohm with a 48V 10A power supply,are these ratings given in mono or stereo?Are these claim true?What distortion will I get?Can this amp with a 48V 10A psu give me better experience than my Sony str gx-215 can?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello! I have a 2.0 audio system with Aiyima A07 amplifier. I would like to add an active subwoofer (Jamo S810), however I'm not sure if it will be possible. Can I connect the active subwoofer with only 1 LFE input to the AUX 3.5 output on Aiyima A07?
The 3.5mmΦ jack of A07 is an input terminal connected in parallel with the RCA input, but it can also be used as a branch output of RCA. However, in order to connect this to your Jamo S810, you need to devise an external mix of L-ch and R-ch.

D

Deleted member 46664

The 3.5mmΦ jack of A07 is an input terminal connected in parallel with the RCA input, but it can also be used as a branch output of RCA. However, in order to connect this to your Jamo S810, you need to devise an external mix of L-ch and R-ch.
Not necessarily ... he can use a TRS to RCA cord and only use one of the RCA plugs... Bass is usually equal in both stereo channels.

Toku

Major Contributor
Not necessarily ... he can use a TRS to RCA cord and only use one of the RCA plugs... Bass is usually equal in both stereo channels.
It can be easily realized by that method, but I explained the exact connection method.

D

Deleted member 46664

It can be easily realized by that method, but I explained the exact connection method.
Yep ... your way is the right way ... 3 10 cent resistors to make a summer is best. But a lot of people do it the easy way, with equal success.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

oslosl

This is a review and detailed measurements of the AIYIMA A07 desktop amplifier based on TPA3255 class D amplifier chip. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. The cost is US $72 on Amazon including prime shipping. And as of this shipping, it also included a 32 volt, 5 amp switching power supply. Member also purchased and sent me a 48 volt/3 amp power supply which I also tested.

The case is standard budget audio affair:
View attachment 102785

The volume control feels cheep but does the job. The back panel terminals were way too small for my binding posts:

View attachment 102786

The DC input socket was quite stiff especially with the 48 volt power supply. Tightness is not a bad thing as far as power transfer is concerned but this was a bit too stiff. Here are the two power supplies:

View attachment 102787

They both feel kind of cheap as they would be at these prices ($21 for the 48 volt one). Personally I would not leave these plugged in permanently if I am not around. The included power supply has a two-pronged AC cable that was not polarized. Rotating it around made a small difference in mains leakage.

AIYIMA A07 Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard of 5 watts into 4 ohms:
View attachment 102788

As you see in the FFT display, there is considerable amount of mains leakage at 60 Hz. This tends to be a function of switching power supplies. I played with grounding and improved it a lot in one channel but not in the other (not shown). SINAD did not get impacted since it is bound by distortion harmonics. As it is, performance is above average:
View attachment 102789

Signal to noise ratio is not great due to the mains hum:
View attachment 102790

Frequency response is well behaved, albeit with a slight droop at 20 kHz:

View attachment 102791

Crosstalk is good and well above bargain basement desktop amps:
View attachment 102792

Power is everything in a small amp so let's see how we do with 4 ohm load:

View attachment 102793

As expected, with low impedance of 4 ohm we are current limited so the 5 amp stock power supply does better, turning in 77 watts. Yes, the 300 watt rating is a fantasy but maybe it can do better with momentary peaks. Alas, its aggressive protection circuit would shut it down and not let me test max and peak power.

Naturally the higher voltage power supply does better with 8 ohm load where we become voltage limited:
View attachment 102794

Sweeping power vs frequency and distortion shows a very well behaved class D amplifier:
View attachment 102795

Conclusions
Traditionally these desktop amplifiers have produced really poor performance in the form of noise and distortion. Not so anymore. These TPA3255 based amps seem to have good bones in them, producing above average performance for peanuts. Alas, you are saddled with two boxes and cheap and potentially non-safety compliant parts. For desktop use, these are probably acceptable compromises.

I am going to recommend the AIYIMA A07 based on its performance.

And with this, our last review of 2020 comes to an end! Nice that it is ending on a happy note. :)

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Is it possible to wire the R/L channel ratio to 1:7 with a couple of resistors and use it as a bi-amplifier ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to wire the R/L channel ratio to 1:7 with a couple of resistors and use it as a bi-amplifier ?
Why would you want to change the ratio? You need to send the same gain to both woofer and tweeter. The lower levels to the tweeter are naturally in the music.

oslosl

I am planning to use a Meanwell LRS-150-36 powersupply. Should I drill venting holes in the Aiyima A07 chassis or use a fan ?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am replacing an old bi-amp Powersoft Powermod II bl, that has two amplifier sections A 220w B 30w. This is used inside an old Mach M-flex 150 (2003) active speaker with a preamplifier (with DSP) with seperate balanced woofer and tweeter output

How should the resistors be arranged ? The dual pot in A07 is 50k
Right - but that is for the maximum power available from the amp.

The tweeter amp can be much lower power output because the levels of power in the high end spectrum of music is very low. But the voltage gain needs to stay the same. Note there is only one gain figure in the specifications.

By putting a resistor divider on the input of the amp driving the tweeter, you will reduce the gain (significantly), and it will sound like you have no top end.

The low voltage input will come from the fact that high frequency components of the music are already at low voltage. The amp will never be driven close to it's maximum, because of that low voltage.

(This is assuming the DSP crossover does the correct job of removing the lower frequencies)

oslosl

Right - but that is for the maximum power available from the amp.

The tweeter amp can be much lower power output because the levels of power in the high end spectrum of music is very low. But the voltage gain needs to stay the same. Note there is only one gain figure in the specifications.

By putting a resistor divider on the input of the amp driving the tweeter, you will reduce the gain (significantly), and it will sound like you have no top end.

The low voltage input will come from the fact that high frequency components of the music are already at low voltage. The amp will never be driven close to it's maximum, because of that low voltage.

(This is assuming the DSP crossover does the correct job of removing the lower frequencies)
So, I guess you are saying that I don't need to limit the tweeter. Listening with headphones to the signal from the preamp, the signal of the tweeter is also much lower than the bass.

Last edited:

PopBlast

Hi! I would like to buy the Aiyima A07 to power my tower speakers (impedance: 4 ohms, power: 120W, sensitivity: 86.5 dB). Which power supply should I choose? 32V 10A, 36V 10A, 48V 7.5A?

Better to buy from the Aiyima website or from amazon? Could you provide some amazon links?

Thank you for your answers!

RHO

Major Contributor
Hi! I would like to buy the Aiyima A07 to power my tower speakers (impedance: 4 ohms, power: 120W, sensitivity: 86.5 dB). Which power supply should I choose? 32V 10A, 36V 10A, 48V 7.5A?

Better to buy from the Aiyima website or from amazon? Could you provide some amazon links?

It depends where you're from. In EU I would buy at Audiophonics in France.
48V seems to generate some issues with heat. There's no real confirmation that this is the cause for some failures, but taking into account that the enclosure is sealed it could be.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I think running these at 48v is just asking for trouble...you have a fairly demanding speaker load, though. I would start with a 36v supply and see how you do. If you don't normally listen at high volume, you might be OK. Otherwise, I would look at a class D amp with more oomph.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

With 4 ohm speakers, you need current more than you need volts. So I'd go for 36V 10A.

Top Bottom