• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

oslosl

Yes. It's a little desktop toy amplifier. Not intended nor advised to be used to run a decent pair of floor standers at a high level for a long period. It just won't do it.

Get a real amplifier, say a 80-100wpc Yamaha (AS-501/AS-701) integrated that can run all day, stay cool and pump out the tunes without overheating and shutting off.

Here's what an AS-700/701 core amplifier section is built like:

View attachment 206745
But at $60 I think it is worth a try. With the included 32V, 5A brick it has been tested to deliver a decent 77W, which might be enough for many.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I decided for the Meanwell LRS-200-36. How can you check if it is a copy ?
I buy my power supplies from one of the major distributors, from a dealer who buys them directly, or from a reputable electronics dealer/shipper.
You can order it from Mouser, Digi-Key or similar, above a certain amount you have no additional costs. They are also reliable suppliers for OP amps.

wave

equivalent series resistance

the most important parameter of a capacitor to keep ripple low on an output filter of a smps psu ( Switched-mode power supply )

oslosl

I bought a A07 without the LM4562 OP chip. Where can I buy the LM4562 OP chip only ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the stock op amp is the NE5532. Any reason you want the LM4562 instead?

Either way, I'd be looking at somewhere like Mouser Electronics.

D

Deleted member 46664

LPad attenuation ? Is that Amplifier noise ?

No. Most two or three way speakers use resistors in their crossovers to adjust the levels of the drivers. They're called LPADS.

When you go bi-amp, you bypass the crossovers and now you need to adjust the driver levels individually through changing amplifier gains.

The alternative is to leave the crossovers in there, in which case bi-amplification becomes a gimick with no real benefits.

oslosl

No. Most two or three way speakers use resistors in their crossovers to adjust the levels of the drivers. They're called LPADS.

When you go bi-amp, you bypass the crossovers and now you need to adjust the driver levels individually through changing amplifier gains.

The alternative is to leave the crossovers in there, in which case bi-amplification becomes a gimick with no real benefits.
But it is all done in the preamp DSP with two outputs (woofer/tweeter) ?

D

Deleted member 46664

I bought a A07 without the LM4562 OP chip. Where can I buy the LM4562 OP chip only ?

Please don't be offended here... that is not my intention ...
But I get the general impression you have little or no actual technical skill in electronics.
Now this isn't a bad thing, until you pull out the screwdrivers and start poking round in the guts of something.

If you've never done this kind of setup before ... chip flipping, supply bolstering and bi-amping probably isn't a job you should tackle without qualified help. Many things can go wrong, some of which will involve fire extinguishers.

One of the risks of getting into a highly tech-savvy place like this one is that there are a whole bunch of "gong bangers" waiting in the wings to make all nature of suggestions --usually their own pet favourite things they've never done themselves-- and if you aren't careful you can get all wrapped up in the "this is better than that"... and end up with a much improved but non-functional system.

If you already have the amplifier and speakers ... just hook them up the normal way and see what it all sounds like. Listen to it for a couple of weeks as it is intended to be used before you get crazy with all these bright bulb ideas.

Industrial supplies require you to correctly connect AC wiring and DC cables. If you've never done this before, you could be in for a really nasty shock or two ... literally.

Bi-amping correctly requires an external crossover network before the amplifier. This isn't a couple of resistors... it is a separate piece of powered electronics that you will need to learn how to program and setup. It also requires you to remove the existing crossovers from your speakers and rewire them.

Supply Bolstering means adding new filters into the power supply rails. Since there is no room in the SMPS casing and no room in the Aiyima casing for this, it means constructing an external device from scratch, to hold the extra parts. Hint: capacitors tend to explode of you don't get this right.

Chip Flipping means replacing chips inside the amplifier. In the Aiyima they are in sockets, but this is not something you can take regular tools to. It is very easy to damage the sockets or the chips and that will leave you with a dead amplifier. I don't care how easy that idiot Randy made it look in his video... it is a delicate operation requiring specialized tools to complete properly. He was lucky and nothing more. On top of that, if your amplifier is working correctly, flipping chips won't make the first bit of difference to the sound.

Okay... this got longer than I planned ... but please take some advice from a long time technician... just hook the thing up and enjoy it while you study up and learn how to do these things. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

oslosl

I believe the stock op amp is the NE5532. Any reason you want the LM4562 instead?

Either way, I'd be looking at somewhere like Mouser Electronics.
Somebody said that LM4562 was much better than NE5532 ?
Please don't be offended here... that is not my intention ...
But I get the general impression you have little or no actual technical skill in electronics.
Now this isn't a bad thing, until you pull out the screwdrivers and start poking round in the guts of something.

If you've never done this kind of setup before ... chip flipping, supply bolstering and bi-amping probably isn't a job you should tackle without qualified help. Many things can go wrong, some of which will involve fire extinguishers.

One of the risks of getting into a highly tech-savvy place like this one is that there are a whole bunch of "gong bangers" waiting in the wings to make all nature of suggestions --usually their own pet favourite things they've never done themselves-- and if you aren't careful you can get all wrapped up in the "this is better than that"... and end up with a much improved but non-functional system.

If you already have the amplifier and speakers ... just hook them up the normal way and see what it all sounds like. Listen to it for a couple of weeks as it is intended to be used before you get crazy with all these bright bulb ideas.

Bi-amping correctly requires an external crossover network before the amplifier. This isn't a couple of resistors... it is a separate piece of powered electronics that you will need to learn how to program and setup.

Supply Bolstering means adding new filters into the power supply rails. Since there is no room in the SMPS casing and no room in the Aiyima casing for this, it means constructing an external device from scratch, to hold the extra parts. Hint: capacitors tend to explode of you don't get this right.

Chip Flipping means replacing chips inside the amplifier. In the Aiyima they are in sockets, but this is not something you can take regular tools to. It is very easy to damage the sockets or the chips and that will leave you with a dead amplifier. I don't care how easy that idiot Randy made it look in his video... it is a delicate operation requiring specialized tools to complete properly. He was lucky and nothing more. On top of that, if your amplifier is working correctly, flipping chips won't make the first bit of difference to the sound.

Okay... this got longer than I planned ... but please take some advice from a long time technician... just hook the thing up and enjoy it while you study up and learn how to do these things. You'll be glad you did.
I think you have misunderstood, I am trying to repair a pair of old active speakers for a freind, Mach M-Flex 15 with a big 15" Peerless woofer and a Peerles horn tweeter, from 2003. The built-in preamp (with DSP and two outputs) is fine, but the built-in bi-amp Powersoft PowerMod II BL is toast. There is no crossover, but two outputs from the preamp (one for woofer amp part and one for tweeter amp part). I am therefore trying to replace the discontinued PowerMod with something, so they can play again. I thought an A07 and a Meanwell 36V 6-10A psu might be a solution ?

Replacing the A07 OP chip is just lifting it from the socket and inserting the other. Actually, Aiyima themselves did a pretty bad job at this and bend 2 of the 8 legs of the OP chip.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

Somebody said that LM4562 was much better than NE5532 ?

Nope. If the ne5532 chips are genuine parts, it won't matter what 8 pin op-amp you stuff in there, it will sound the same.

Don't get me wrong, but I am trying to repair a pair of old active speakers for a freind, Mach M-Flex 15 from 2003. The preamp (with DSP) is fine, but the bi-amp Powersoft PowerMod II LB is toast. There is no crossover, but two outputs from the preamp. I am therefore trying to replace the PowerMod with something, so they can play again. I thought an A07 and a 36V 10A psu might be a solution ?

That Aiyima amp is going to give you at best about 60watts of clean power and it's not going to tolerate clipping like a pro-monitor amp would. You clip these things and they turn off.

It would make more sense to replace the powersoft module than go through all this rigamarole.
Here is the manual for it... all the connections are spelled out for you...

oslosl

Nope. If the ne5532 chips are genuine parts, it won't matter what 8 pin op-amp you stuff in there, it will sound the same.

That Aiyima amp is going to give you at best about 60watts of clean power and it's not going to tolerate clipping like a pro-monitor amp would. You clip these things and they turn off.

It would make more sense to replace the powersoft module than go through all this rigamarole.
Here is the manual for it... all the connections are spelled out for you...

I know, but you can't get the powermodule anymore. Then what ? I need 2 amplifiers for each speaker, so a powerfull class-D stereo amp with low noise seemed to be worth a try. Otherwise the speakers are thrown out. But A07 might not be powerfull enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

I know, but you can not get the powermodule anymore. Then what ? I need 2 amps for each speaker, so a stereo amp seemed to make sense.

Yes, a stereo PA amplifier... not a cheap home stereo amplifier. You might kill the Aiyima in less than a week.

Have a look at the Crown XLS 1002 and similar...

oslosl

Top Bottom