• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

formula 977

No response directly from Topping other than an automated response stating out until May 5th.

Apos just responded and said they will issue an RMA.

It's a shame though because if the power output fits your needs and if the build quality and QC was there, it is a very nice performing amp.

Yes, I enjoy the Ara's very much :)
Does the FW port on the back of unit do anything? Apos should be able to provide an update, reset, etc. to allow you to deal with it before issuing an RMA.

jjmanda

Does the FW port on the back of unit do anything? Apos should be able to provide an update, reset, etc. to allow you to deal with it before issuing an RMA.
I checked Topping's web site and didn't find any firmware updates. It's only been out about a week? All the firmware programmers are on holiday right now.

No firmware port cable was included in the package either.

I would try using the 12v trigger to see if I get the same behavior, but I don't have any other component that provides a 12v trigger out.

formula 977

I checked Topping's web site and didn't find any firmware updates. It's only been out about a week? All the firmware programmers are on holiday right now.

No firmware port cable was included in the package either.

I would try using the 12v trigger to see if I get the same behavior, but I don't have any other component that provides a 12v trigger out.
You can use a 9V battery

raest

I am sorry. I was naïve in expecting a logical reply. Bye.

as was i in expecting a reasoned argument/counterpoint from an irrational fanboy. good bye to you too, enjoy audiophooldom, you deserve it :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the rise of this site in Google search rankings, this forum has been exposed to a much wider audience and gained many new members, including an inevitable influx of individuals whose sole reason for joining is to butt heads with Amir. This amp got a glowing review and conversely, the reaction has been negative.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The Benchmark AHB2 costs $3500. It is a 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms amplifier, which calculates as $35 per wat as per your calculation. The Topping LA90 calculates as 60% better than Benchmark, which is an amplifier in perpetual backorder? Why do you think this amplifier is not competitive?
US MSRP 2999. "Calculates better" you mean on Sinad or on price per watts? They both are in the very expensive category. You are correct that The LA90 can compete in this segment in dollars per watts, but anyway, As I said If you're in the market for a low power desktop amp and you have the money, I am sure it's a good one when it works, the power button experience of a previous poster I find this concerning in this price range that's all. It's not competitive in pricing as many other solutions for desktop, like powered monitors or such. It's also not competitive with most Purifi or Hypex solutions in power for dollars. Maybe worth it for some and it's OK.

formula 977

Nobody is butting heads with AmirM. He makes no claims other than to provide objective measurements of the product and the favorable response from members is based only on the specs and nothing to do with the feature set or presumed quality of the product. Snake Oil includes a comparison of performance and features in terms of value which should be made readily apparent to sophisticated consumers here on the forum. That would easily establish the superiority of the PA5 over the LA90. The LA90 is very close to being garbage.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal,
Any chance for a Stereophile review?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
US MSRP 2999. "Calculates better" you mean on Sinad or on price per watts? They both are in the very expensive category. You are correct that The LA90 can compete in this segment in dollars per watts, but anyway,
Yes, I was replying to your bucks per watts value.
As I said If you're in the market for a low power desktop amp and you have the money, I am sure it's a good one when it works, the power button experience of a previous poster I find this concerning in this price range that's all. It's not competitive in pricing as many other solutions for desktop, like powered monitors or such. It's also not competitive with most Purifi or Hypex solutions in power for dollars. Maybe worth it for some and it's OK.
The amp is on sale for a week. It’s software is still in beta. They will sort it out.

It’s a very bad but common practice that manufacturers treat us as Guinea pigs and ship beta products. Almost every connected device wants to be updated upon turning on the first time.

nawfal07

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Main criteria is the whopping 22 bucks per watt pricing...
...which calculates as $35 per watt as per your calculation...
You two are using the old-math for the B4B computation?
If either is an amp design w/less efficiency (classA? or AB?): shouldn't that also be computed into the B4B results.
There are 3 sets of XLR inputs and the additional 2 sets need to be computed for the Bang-for-Buck accurate results.
ROI? Amortization? Warranty?
These are probably some of the good reasons why @amirm states the price but has always been reluctant to go cut-throat with B4B declarations.
Except his recent 'cheezy RCA' post.:p

PeteL

Major Contributor
You two are using the old-math for the B4B computation?
If either is an amp design w/less efficiency (classA? or AB?): shouldn't that also be computed into the B4B results.
There are 3 sets of XLR inputs and the additional 2 sets need to be computed for the Bang-for-Buck accurate results.
ROI? Amortization? Warranty?
These are probably some of the good reasons why @amirm states the price but has always been reluctant to go cut-throat with B4B declarations.
Except his recent 'cheezy RCA' post.:p
Ithink that past a certain level Bang for buck lose it’s meaning, you buy a certain prestige, bragging right, etc, status. We are in this category I feel. I just don’t know of any current 50 per channels amps that expensive, even from more boutique brands, I am sure there is, but we are in very niche market.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping has lost their appeal for me. They can't even build a decent remote. That tells me a lot about their focus, overall quality and attention to detail. I bought the aluminum Topping remote hoping it would be better but it's the same exact failure in a heavier case. No improvement functionally. What Topping does best is beating SINAD numbers on ASR - but shouldn't we expect more than that SINAD number from a quality brand?

It works out well on ASR for Topping as things like optical to TV connection drop outs and poor remote range are not illuminated in reviews. I can't imagine a Buckeye amp that had an external power supply as big as the case being considered acceptable to anyone? For me, Topping hasn't reached the level of engineering we expect from RME, Benchmark or even Denon. So when I hear LA90 compared to Benchmark it seems laughable.

Until Topping is pushed out of it's "one trick pony SINAD adventure" it will be a side show of geeky SINAD parts. Your view may be different but after using the E30, Pre90 and D90SE that's my take. I simply don't expect quality overall from Topping anymore. So many other companies know how to build well rounded gear without all the hidden issues. I look for those companies to reward with my audio dollars now. I'll never buy/keep another product where I hate to pick up the remote to use it.

Universal Cereal Bus

"Snakeoil" has been thrown around a bit too casually in this thread. As you can see from my avatar picture, I'm an expert in Snakeoil ;). The term should only refer to obviously fraudulent products that cannot deliver on their headline promise. The LA90 is not Snakeoil.

On the spectrum of dubious health supplements, the LA90 is a multivitamin.
  • it generally does what it says on the bottle
  • I could not reproduce the product with kitchen scraps
  • most people probably don't need it

dananski

Seeing lots of people laugh about the power output. But would wattage be any concern for me? It's more than a 50% drop vs my current amp, but I don't often turn that up to 50%. Speaker specs (Spendor A6R):
  • Sensitivity: 88dB for 1 watt at 1 metre
Doesn't that mean just 10W would give me 98dB sound levels at 1m? Seems like this amp would actually fit the job perfectly - I'd actually be in the best part of the power-SINAD curve nearly all the time.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Seeing lots of people laugh about the power output. But would wattage be any concern for me? It's more than a 50% drop vs my current amp, but I don't often turn that up to 50%. Speaker specs (Spendor A6R):
  • Sensitivity: 88dB for 1 watt at 1 metre
Doesn't that mean just 10W would give me 98dB sound levels at 1m? Seems like this amp would actually fit the job perfectly - I'd actually be in the best part of the power-SINAD curve nearly all the time.
What is the gain, or input sensitivity of your current amplifier.

nawfal07

If their products are bad you guys don’t have to worry, it just means they’re destroying their own business. The ship will sink along with its captain. Consumer has a choice.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I bought the aluminum Topping remote hoping it would be better but it's the same exact failure in a heavier case. No improvement functionally.

That’s disappointing to hear, I was thinking of buying the aluminium remote for the same reason.

But since you have it, can you confirm that it is screwed together and relatively easy to open (unlike the plastic one which is hard to open without damage)? If that’s the case one should be able to mod it, like replace the IR LED with a better one, or reduce the series resistance to increase the output. Depends on how it’s driven I suppose.

Top Bottom