• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Some of that looks like an app update rather than a firmware update - they’re related but separate updates I’d say. Keep an eye out in the App Store over the coming days/ week.
You're correct, obviously. The app update is supposedly due today - not seeing it yet...

Glades

Hans Beekhuyzen did measure a fault - a sudden peak of + 0,6 dB in the treble area from the analog out of the WiiM . If that was a hardware fault its not curable with new software. But who knows? I wonder how good the toslink output is.
I compared its bitperfect output vs a RB4 with optical out > Audiolab 6000a internal DAC. Cant fault it soundwise (by ear), but I'm also curious how it measures.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some of that looks like an app update rather than a firmware update - they’re related but separate updates I’d say. Keep an eye out in the App Store over the coming days/ week.
It updated the firmware in my sample device.

Tangband

Major Contributor
It updated the firmware in my sample device.
Did you do any frequency response measurements from the analog output ?

tsoltan

As wiim mini has a multi room - will it work with sub integration - like 1st wiim - dac - amp - speakers, 2nd wiim - dac or just analog out to powered sub. Would it be in sync?
Maybe someone has 2 and can confirm it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you do any frequency response measurements from the analog output ?
No. That kind of sweep is a pain when my analyzer can't control the device. Use an external DAC with it anyway. Even a very cheap one will far outperform the one built into it.

MCH

Major Contributor
As wiim mini has a multi room - will it work with sub integration - like 1st wiim - dac - amp - speakers, 2nd wiim - dac or just analog out to powered sub. Would it be in sync?
Maybe someone has 2 and can confirm it.
I would be interested also. If someone can explain if it is possible to apply high pass to the mains only and how

tsoltan

Thanks, that's what i thought, but maybe i was missing something like built in xovers or something like that
Anyways, 2wiims + 2 dacs start to approach the price of a flex...
Yeah but what if you have already a good dac and I suppose the dac for the sub can be skipped.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yeah but what if you have already a good dac and I suppose the dac for the sub can be skipped.
Agree, it would be a cool solution if the two are well synchronised, and without cables in between, but without high pass for the mains...

Tangband

Major Contributor
No. That kind of sweep is a pain when my analyzer can't control the device. Use an external DAC with it anyway. Even a very cheap one will far outperform the one built into it.
Ok I understand.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Jae, WiiM home app allows you to play music from the mobile device. You can get the bit perfect output for Spotify (16/44.1),
How can you get bit-perfect from a compressed audio stream?

jmtocali

How can you get bit-perfect from a compressed audio stream?
Bit perfect is about passing the signal exactly as the source, doesn't matter if the source is lossy or lossless. As the ogg stream from Spotify is untouched, the Wiim is passing bit perfect.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit perfect is about passing the signal exactly as the source, doesn't matter if the source is lossy or lossless. As the ogg stream from Spotify is untouched, the Wiim is passing bit perfect.
How do you confirm this?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With my Dac or receiver. They show the frequency and bit rate. It shows 16/44.1, the same as Spotify streams.
That’s nothing to do with bit perfect. It just shows there’s no resampling. The two are entirely different things.

Top Bottom