• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

GabrielPhoto

Interesting review, interesting speaker!

Monolith 365C vs Klipsch RP-504C made me loose my sleep haha.
Could I crank it up with the 365C using my Denon X-2700H?

Also, would it be wise to use 3x365C for LCR?
I much prefer the 365 over the 504c which I just returned. I also tested the 64 iii, the RC-7, the Elac UC52, JBL 520c, RSC200 and the Emotiva C2+.

Nathan11

I much prefer the 365 over the 504c which I just returned. I also tested the 64 iii, the RC-7, the Elac UC52, JBL 520c, RSC200 and the Emotiva C2+.
Did you find the 365 disturbingly less sensitive than the 504C?
I read your post about the extremely insensitive Elac UC52.

GabrielPhoto

From some notes I found I had taken, the most sensitive center I have been testing is my Klipsch RC-7 which from the note I wrote down that it required about -2.5 db to match my LR at 75db. The 504c required -.5 so about a 2 db difference there. The Monolith would be around +1.5 On that same note the Elac required +7.5

GabrielPhoto

So
Audible upgrades ate likely a push if you're looking for that sonic profile, but something like the Paradigm 600c offers upgraded finish and some extra bells and whistles.
That Paradigm did get my attention and tempted me to try it as my last center test. I just cant seem to find any tests showing measurements for it.

gbrnole

Klipsch speakers being highly sensitive is a massive misnomer. Their horn waveguides and titanium domes lead to high tweeter sensitivity, hence their brightness, but the woofer section rarely is greater than 87 dB. I'd be inclined to guess that the 365C will probably play a tad louder than the Klipsch.

Nathan11

Sensitivity (300hz-3khz):
Elac uc52 - 83.1db
Monoprice thx365 - 88.6db

Reference:
Thanks a lot for that link!

From some notes I found I had taken, the most sensitive center I have been testing is my Klipsch RC-7 which from the note I wrote down that it required about -2.5 db to match my LR at 75db. The 504c required -.5 so about a 2 db difference there. The Monolith would be around +1.5 On that same note the Elac required +7.5

I guess those sensitivity differences are minor -poor Elac though-.
May I ask what you found to be better on the 365C vs the RP-504C?

Klipsch speakers being highly sensitive is a massive misnomer. Their horn waveguides and titanium domes lead to high tweeter sensitivity, hence their brightness, but the woofer section rarely is greater than 87 dB. I'd be inclined to guess that the 365C will probably play a tad louder than the Klipsch.

Interesting, now that makes sense to me! So my Denon X2700H will have no issues cranking the 365C up?

GabrielPhoto

Thanks a lot for that link!

I guess those sensitivity differences are minor -poor Elac though-.
May I ask what you found to be better on the 365C vs the RP-504C?

Interesting, now that makes sense to me! So my Denon X2700H will have no issues cranking the 365C up?
The off-axis performance of the Monolith is better, the "tone" seems to match my 590s a bit better but more importantly, it has that key factor I want from my speakers, specially my centers and is to "project" the sound outside the box so that it fools my brain into thinking it is coming from the screen.
The Klipsch is not as good at that (though still better than the C2+ for example).
The Klipsch does have some more bass but that is hardly important as there difference is gone when the sub and rest of the ensemble is playing.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Absolutely no issue. From the link above u can see bookshelf speakers measured sensitivity (under data tab) average around 85db. Thx365's measured sensitivity is at 88.6db, which is closer to that of floorstanding speakers.

Last edited:

Nathan11

The off-axis performance of the Monolith is better, the "tone" seems to match my 590s a bit better but more importantly, it has that key factor I want from my speakers, specially my centers and is to "project" the sound outside the box so that it fools my brain into thinking it is coming from the screen.
The Klipsch is not as good at that (though still better than the C2+ for example).
The Klipsch does have some more bass but that is hardly important as there difference is gone when the sub and rest of the ensemble is playing.

That's great to hear! I'm sure that this "localizing" issue is present with most 2/2,5way center speakers.
As for the bass yes -also Audioholics mentioned that these Monoprice THX speakers are meant to play with a sub hence the pretty roll off @80Hz-.
Thank you for the replies!

Absolutely no issue. From the link above u can see bookshelf speakers measured sensitivity (under data tab) average around 85db. Thx365's measured sensitivity is at 88.6db, which is closer to that of floorstanding speakers.

Thank you so much! I'll order that 365C and call it a day! :cool:

Ringwraith

I have just ordered 3x365Cs to use as LCR. They came in yesterday and initial setup works really well and an upgrade compared to what I had previously. Will do some testing over the next days

beagleman

Major Contributor
The lobing is certainly a feature when controlled properly, Genelec even directly states it's an intentional part of the design to improve low frequency directivity.

The Kef Reference 4C also has it, but again, directivity above it is much better controlled.

Regardless though, almost all the centers at this price range are crap so this one is actually really good. Only the coaxials have better directivity, but they usually have more compression or distortion than this. Plus on axis flaws sometimes.
Me thinks you are putting way too much faith in directivity measurements, and not nearly enough in actually evaluating and LISTENING to center speakers.

I have said this multiple times, but although many look to have mediocre directivity, I have never found in normal usage, this to be NEARLY the huge issue some make it out to be.

I have found that "Up close" you can hear this effect, but several feet back, using actual voices, and moving across a very wide couch, it did not manifest itself nearly as many are worrying about.

This is not a matter of measurements being "Wrong" per se, but more of "Putting too much importance on them, without doing the listening first".

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me thinks you are putting way too much faith in directivity measurements, and not nearly enough in actually evaluating and LISTENING to center speakers.

I have said this multiple times, but although many look to have mediocre directivity, I have never found in normal usage, this to be NEARLY the huge issue some make it out to be.
You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I find even the vertical lobing present in standard 2 ways to be noticeable and irritating, the much worse examples in centers are obvious and annoying. They also impact intelligibility even for people who don't notice the tonality shifts.

I'm not interested in doing the back and forth over the cheap poorly designed centers. If they don't bother you, that's fine! Good for your wallet. Doesn't translate to me or anyone else though.

beagleman

Major Contributor
You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I find even the vertical lobing present in standard 2 ways to be noticeable and irritating, the much worse examples in centers are obvious and annoying. They also impact intelligibility even for people who don't notice the tonality shifts.

I'm not interested in doing the back and forth over the cheap poorly designed centers. If they don't bother you, that's fine! Good for your wallet. Doesn't translate to me or anyone else though.
I think you misconstrued what I said.

I never said it "Simply does not bother me", but after doing some quite extensive testing with several center speakers, including a 3 way, a 2.5 way, and a more simpler MTM, I did "HEAR" the differences, but found the actual changes, using Voices and Pink Noise, to simply be not as poor as some are making it out to be.

Yes the 3 way was best, and the 2.5 way was still fairly good sounding.

When I see a well rated speaker, perhaps a Revel that cost thousands, it is not good sport to say anything bad about it, even though I see things that to ME would be shortcomings.

I am not saying they do NOT have directivity issues, we know they do, but more the annoying way, it has become almost "Common Practice" to overly bash this issue.

Kinda similar to Bose bashing, or Expensive Cables, or AVRs.

The exaggeration of how bad the directivity is, seems super predictable is all I am saying.
I almost cringe when I see a center speaker or AVR review, as I know the same dozen guys will say the same exact comments about either, all along while not having even heard the product being reviewed.

Kind of like a bandwagon thing. Make more sense now?

GabrielPhoto

I never said it "Simply does not bother me", but after doing some quite extensive testing with several center speakers, including a 3 way, a 2.5 way, and a more simpler MTM, I did "HEAR" the differences, but found the actual changes, using Voices and Pink Noise, to simply be not as poor as some are making it out to be.
I am sorry but isn't that exactly what you are saying? You tested, and found that to YOU, the actual changes are not as poor as some make it out to be thus it does not bother you...
I think, what he is saying, which I agree with, is that we are all different and his opinion that it bothers him (opinion that I share) is as valid as yours.
For example, take the C2+...I wanted to try it for a while because of its looks, dark night and all, it would look nice next to the beefy JBL 590s. Even after seeing the reviews here I decided to try it but the sound was a let down right away. Not only is the off-axis changes clearly {well clearly is the last word I would like to use lol) there but the sound was boxy, and by that I mean, my brain couldnt connect the sound to the image anywhere near to what the Monolith THX 365c does...that center really "projects" the sound much better IMO.
Anyways, to each its own.
Regards

beagleman

Major Contributor
I am sorry but isn't that exactly what you are saying? You tested, and found that to YOU, the actual changes are not as poor as some make it out to be thus it does not bother you...
I think, what he is saying, which I agree with, is that we are all different and his opinion that it bothers him (opinion that I share) is as valid as yours.
For example, take the C2+...I wanted to try it for a while because of its looks, dark night and all, it would look nice next to the beefy JBL 590s. Even after seeing the reviews here I decided to try it but the sound was a let down right away. Not only is the off-axis changes clearly {well clearly is the last word I would like to use lol) there but the sound was boxy, and by that I mean, my brain couldnt connect the sound to the image anywhere near to what the Monolith THX 365c does...that center really "projects" the sound much better IMO.
Anyways, to each its own.
Regards
Uh, I think, MOST bash speakers, having never heard them, but going by just a few charts. Not all of course.

I agree SOME centers do sound quite mediocre.
But at the same time, many paint ALL centers with a broad generalization.

This started by reading in another forum, a post ABOUT this forum, how it is the cool thing to bash products most feel are too far "below them", based on simply the measurements., and having never heard, said speaker.

Many of us in here are on other forums also.

Our forum gets bashed a lot for "opinions" about how something as unique and subjective as a speaker, can be dismissed and bashed easily based on just a few charts.

Now I agree, SOME can be, but it has become a thing here to bash stuff, that many admittedly have never heard.
I think it gives a somewhat negative appearance about our forum.
I almost feel like I am reluctant to admit I am a member here at times.

I do LOVE most of the stuff here, but the constant either Love it or Hate it views does make the forum appear in a somewhat silly light at "times".

Not even sure if that makes any sense, but just would like a bit more "Control" in how people post. A lot of comments verge on stuff being "Useless", "Total Junk" "Horrible" and so on.......meanwhile in the real world, many audiophiles own this stuff and find it not horrible.

GabrielPhoto

Uh, I think, MOST bash speakers, having never heard them, but going by just a few charts. Not all of course.

I agree SOME centers do sound quite mediocre.
But at the same time, many paint ALL centers with a broad generalization.

This started by reading in another forum, a post ABOUT this forum, how it is the cool thing to bash products most feel are too far "below them", based on simply the measurements., and having never heard, said speaker.

Many of us in here are on other forums also.

Our forum gets bashed a lot for "opinions" about how something as unique and subjective as a speaker, can be dismissed and bashed easily based on just a few charts.

Now I agree, SOME can be, but it has become a thing here to bash stuff, that many admittedly have never heard.
I think it gives a somewhat negative appearance about our forum.
I almost feel like I am reluctant to admit I am a member here at times.

I do LOVE most of the stuff here, but the constant either Love it or Hate is posts does make the forum appear in a somewhat silly light at "times".

Not even sure if that makes any sense, but just would like a bit more "Control" in how people post. A lot of comments verge on stuff being "Useless", "Total Junk" "Horrible" and so on.......meanwhile in the real world, many audiophiles own this stuff and find it not horrible.
Well, I do not make claims of MOST do this or do that because I have zero evidence to back up that claim.
I speak only of my own experience and I have been testing many (and 2 more to come) and from the measurements so far, I am seeing a pattern of what matches what I like or not like and how it compares to measurements.
I am sure like everything else, we have people that go that extreme you mentioned but just the same way we have people that go the other way so to me, it goes both ways, Zorba on AVSFORUM is a good example of someone that lives in denial when it comes to clear issues with a speaker like the C2+...extremes are never good.
I personally, see the reviews and if I feel like I want to try it,I buy it then I can find out how close the measurements come to my own experience and from there, I have a good future reference to guide my choices.
Regards

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I almost cringe when I see a center speaker or AVR review, as I know the same dozen guys will say the same exact comments about either, all along while not having even heard the product being reviewed.

Sorry but you don't need to hear a product to know that poor directivity is gonna sound like poor directivity. There's no magic that makes a 2-way MTM with directivity like this sound good off-axis. There just isn't!

The "you must hear everything" crowd are the actual elitists. Nobody has the ability to hear/try every potential speaker purchase. Instead, they just want to be as certain as possible they can make a good one without weeks of leg work. If a center has good on-axis, good directivity, and decent sensitivity, then most people can be assured they're getting a pretty good product. That's the important part.

Well this sounds like a problem you've created for yourself by reading some other forum. It's not really relevant to us.

"If you haven't heard it, you can't criticize it" is bad logic designed to silence criticism based on a desire to produce fake positivity. Funnily enough, people with that argument never say "How dare you say something good about this speaker when you haven't heard it!"

That isn't what this place is about. The whole point of ASR is a recognition that toxic positivity plagues the audio industry and something needed to be done about it.

Last edited:

gbrnole

i have found that feathers often get ruffled when subjective opinion is presented with objective data. the data itself shouldn't be the final decision maker but it should certainly help someone objectively identify a sound presentation that they like (or don't like) and group a number of products together similar enough to choose from.

on the budget end the 365c and the pot of gold that is the Infinity RC263 are very easy recommendations.

beagleman

Major Contributor
i have found that feathers often get ruffled when subjective opinion is presented with objective data. the data itself shouldn't be the final decision maker but it should certainly help someone objectively identify a sound presentation that they like (or don't like) and group a number of products together similar enough to choose from.

on the budget end the 365c and the pot of gold that is the Infinity RC263 are very easy recommendations.
I guess I am of the "Listen first, then measure, to see if your subjective assessment is backed up by the measurements"

But feel if one goes by JUST subjective or just Measurements, that ruffles, as you say.

Top Bottom