• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice THX Certified Satellite Speakers (review by Erin)

SivKiv

I wondered the same thing at first, but then remember that it's probably difficult to measure individual drivers in a coax design.

I'd be buying these right now but I'm concerned about the below average distortion measurements.
Maybe monoprice should consider making their own version of the IN-5/IN-8

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me this looks like a no-brainer for a budget-focused or second surround system. You're getting 5 respectable channels and a halfway competent sub for $410. You can spend more on a single speaker that doesn't measure as well.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wondered the same thing at first, but then remember that it's probably difficult to measure individual drivers in a coax design.

In any case, Erin cracked it open already to try reversing the tweeter polarity. The quick wave in the video of the crossover is useless but hopefully more in depth reveal is coming.

I'd be buying these right now but I'm concerned about the below average distortion measurements.

Fully agree, along with the low sensitivity, the frequency response has that ugly dip where our hearing is very sensitive. Sure you might rationalize based on the price, but already has 3 strikes against it. Like the teardown but the crossover is glossed over and is likely where the design was compromised.

I get Monoprice likes to offer value, but this looks like a case of sacrificing the good and what is left is pretty mediocre.:confused:

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case, Erin cracked it open already to try reversing the tweeter polarity. A quick wave is

Fully agree, along with the low sensitivity, the frequency response has that ugly dip where our hearing is very sensitive. Sure you might rationalize based on the price, but already has 3 strikes against it. Like the teardown but the crossover is glossed over and is likely where the design was compromised.

I get Monoprice likes to offer value, but this looks like a case of sacrificing the good and what is left is pretty mediocre.:confused:
There's a pretty bad dip there in the mids, but the DI looks smooth at the same spot, so it looks like they designed the xover to prioritize directivity match over FR. Looks like it would be as amenable to EQ as any speaker would be in that range, if it's a big concern.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a pretty bad dip there in the mids, but the DI looks smooth at the same spot, so it looks like they designed the xover to prioritize directivity match over FR. Looks like it would be as amenable to EQ as any speaker would be in that range, if it's a big concern.

Eq will not fix the low sensitivity or the distortion, so not worth my time. Even Erin warns about potential side effects of trying to eq the dip. It is right in the area where the crossover might be suppressing nastier driver issues. Would know more if we got a better look at the crossover.;)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eq will not fix the low sensitivity or the distortion, so not worth my time. Even Erin warns about potential side effects of trying to eq the dip. It is right in the area where the crossover might be suppressing nastier driver issues. Would know more if we got a better look at the crossover.;)
For under $100 apiece I can forgive some flaws. I'm not saying this should be anyone's endgame system, but you could do worse for more money. Suppose you wanted to put surround sound in a game room or something, I'd say this would be a good 'throwaway' option, if you alternatives were "soundbar" or "nothing".

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For under $100 apiece I can forgive some flaws. I'm not saying this should be anyone's endgame system, but you could do worse for more money. Suppose you wanted to put surround sound in a game room or something, I'd say this would be a good 'throwaway' option, if you alternatives were "soundbar" or "nothing".

Perhaps, but can argue either side of performance vs price. Price is easier, performance requires more perspective.

If I had a better baseline for comparison, could judge more precisely. Otherwise, cannot determine the "could do worse" perspective when I really do not have a good baseline for comparison. Just my approach, but the alternative seems like subjective opining to me.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
To me the appeal is in the size and price. The next best thing is probably the emotiva b1+ (when it's in stock) but it's still considerably bigger. This might not be a big deal in a larger room, but for small room and especially desktop purposes, it could be very significant.

The size can let you install a nice auro/Atmos setup for bargain basement prices in a spare bedroom/office. The smaller the room, the more channels, the more the small size factor goes in it's favor.

hex168

The sensitivity pretty much limits it to near field, I think. The new Lavoce coax looks interesting:

I wish these were easier to get:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is also his review of the corresponding subwoofer

For the money (notably at 40% off), this subwoofer will not get much argument from me here as it seems to have decent quality parts AND the design gets reasonable performance from them. Will take exception on calling a stuffed port “sealed” and would want the vented output available for use with room correction anyway. If you want optimal sealed behavior, need to truly seal the port and reduce the internal box volume significantly. Likely you would find this is too much loss in bass in most cases, but would be much better controlled than a foam plug.:)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, thought I might buy a couple of these to check out, but they are out of stock…

Was even more concerned when at looked at Monolith’s posted measurements. The posted frequency response has an almost 100 dB scale! :facepalm:Then I noticed the crossover frequencies and slopes. Would expect that a smallish coax with a small dome tweeter would be crossing much higher. The crossover design seems very suspect in this light.

If true and the driver is decent, the next version could have much better performance.:cool:

SivKiv

So, thought I might buy a couple of these to check out, but they are out of stock…

Was even more concerned when at looked at Monolith’s posted measurements. The posted frequency response has an almost 100 dB scale! :facepalm:Then I noticed the crossover frequencies and slopes. Would expect that a smallish coax with a small dome tweeter would be crossing much higher. The crossover design seems very suspect in this light.

If true and the driver is decent, the next version could have much better performance.:cool:
Yeah, I think this is why a few seem interested in having a look at the crossovers/modding them/having them redone, many suspect that's the cause of the weird dip. I'd expect quite a few improvements from a set of higher order and better implemented crossovers not gonna lie, but we won't know what exactly is the issue until someone takes them apart and tries to mod them I guess.

scrubb

Forum Donor

I pulled the trigger on an open box pair for $149. When they arrive I'll open one up and try to take some good pics of the crossover. I'm not qualified to evaluate it but I suspect @Rick Sykora and others will know what's what in there.

I'll be using them as rear channel in my 5.1 system. Replacing some old JBL Control 1's which have torn surrounds.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I pulled the trigger on an open box pair for $149. When they arrive I'll open one up and try to take some good pics of the crossover. I'm not qualified to evaluate it but I suspect @Rick Sykora and others will know what's what in there.

I'll be using them as rear channel in my 5.1 system. Replacing some old JBL Control 1's which have torn surrounds.

Thanks, but to design a crossover, really need raw measurements for the driver.:cool:

quattro98

Forum Donor
The R8 is the closest they have in the current line, but it is limited by distortion and some response issues as well.

I'd love to see a sealed version of the R3 designed for an 80 Hz crossover. It could be used as an on-wall or on-ceiling speaker and ideally would have a mounting plate to allow you to angle and aim the speaker whether mounting to a wall or ceiling. KEF has great center channels, so some more options for implementing a multichannel system and solving real world problems (not everyone has a dedicated space that will accommodate speakers exactly where you'd like to place them) would be fantastic.

The R2 is an option, so adding mounting options to that would be a start. A smaller R1 would complement it at a lower cost and smaller size while trading some sensitivity & distortion.

you mean the R8?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The R8 is the closest they have in the current line, but it is limited by distortion and some response issues as well.

I'd love to see a sealed version of the R3 designed for an 80 Hz crossover. It could be used as an on-wall or on-ceiling speaker and ideally would have a mounting plate to allow you to angle and aim the speaker whether mounting to a wall or ceiling. KEF has great center channels, so some more options for implementing a multichannel system and solving real world problems (not everyone has a dedicated space that will accommodate speakers exactly where you'd like to place them) would be fantastic.

The R2 is an option, so adding mounting options to that would be a start. A smaller R1 would complement it at a lower cost and smaller size while trading some sensitivity & distortion.

I think KEF provides port plugs for all of their range of ported speakers. But at the same time releasing a product that will statistically be preferred less by everyone because of the reduced bass extension and fits awkwardly in their lineup will not happen i'm afraid.

The R2 is indeed the best option in this case.

Top Bottom