• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice THX Certified Satellite Speakers (review by Erin)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin has given us an early look at the upcoming review of the Monolith by Monoprice THX Certified Satellite Speakers.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 9.14.22 PM.png

Source

Mfg Link:
412881.jpg

update on Aug 14:
video review

update on Aug 15:
written review https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/monoprice_comp_thx_sat/

Last edited:

geox

I'd love to see kefs take on this. Come on Kef do an R1 for HT crowd

HighFutility

They are pretty good for what they are. I wasn't expecting them even to hit 100hz with such a small closed enclosure. I ended up getting Cambridge minx satellites for my needs. Found them used, 5 for 125$.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That looks very good for a coaxial and 250$ a pair. Very interesting.

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This would be fun to cross over to a mini woofer/"subwoofer" or two.

The compact "Micca Voltron" setup (scroll down) with two coaxials and two "subwoofers" was one of my intros to this hobby; I've always wanted to take a crack at an upgraded version but there haven't exactly been a lot of compact coaxials on the market.
Might be a good candidate for DIY crossover tweaking.
Curious as to why you say that. By all indications this seems to be nicely implemented already?

norman bates

Forum Donor
Sitting 10'+ away, I can't see a single 4.5" crossing under 200hz to be satisfying for music.

Maybe for a 5' nearfield setup.

But that dispersion is respectable.

SivKiv

This would be fun to cross over to a mini woofer/"subwoofer" or two.

The compact "Micca Voltron" setup (scroll down) with two coaxials and two "subwoofers" was one of my intros to this hobby; I've always wanted to take a crack at an upgraded version but there haven't exactly been a lot of compact coaxials on the market.

Curious as to why you say that. By all indications this seems to be nicely implemented already?
I'm still a newb in this hobby, but I think it's a possiblility that the 1.7khz dip could be an indication of the crossover using a lower order filter, and Monoprice's site indicates that it's a second order crossover for the low pass and a third order crossover for the high pass. Maybe implementing a fourth order crossover for both may get rid of the dip altogether? If I am wrong though, could you explain why so to me? I'd like to know, since I'm still new and am trying to learn more

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm still a newb in this hobby, but I think it's a possiblility that the 1.7khz dip could be an indication of the crossover using a lower order filter, and Monoprice's site indicates that it's a second order crossover for the low pass and a third order crossover for the high pass. Maybe implementing a fourth order crossover for both may get rid of the dip altogether? If I am wrong though, could you explain why so to me? I'd like to know, since I'm still new and am trying to learn more
I'll start by saying I know zero about crossover design and implementation. :)

In my uneducated opinion that dip looks a little steep to be a xover issue. But as I said before, I do not rate my opinion highly on this topi.

In the linked video at around 4:30, Erin speculates about the issue here but nobody has a definitive explanation.

SivKiv

I'll start by saying I know zero about crossover design and implementation. :)

In my uneducated opinion that dip looks a little steep to be a xover issue. But as I said before, I do not rate my opinion highly on this topi.

In the linked video at around 4:30, Erin speculates about the issue here but nobody has a definitive explanation.
Does Erin not measure the individual responses of each drivers? If he does, maybe it could indicate why the dip exists. It's possible that the dip in the crossovering was intentional too however.

scrubb

Forum Donor
Does Erin not measure the individual responses of each drivers?
I wondered the same thing at first, but then remember that it's probably difficult to measure individual drivers in a coax design.

I'd be buying these right now but I'm concerned about the below average distortion measurements.

Top Bottom