• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice THX Certified Satellite Speakers (review by Erin)

quattro98

Forum Donor
I think KEF provides port plugs for all of their range of ported speakers. But at the same time releasing a product that will statistically be preferred less by everyone because of the reduced bass extension and fits awkwardly in their lineup will not happen i'm afraid.

The R2 is indeed the best option in this case.

Agree. A R2 or port plugged R3 aren’t optimized for flexible mounting. In a world of multichannel, having more options is helpful when putting together a system.

surroundman

Follow up of Erin's subwoofer review

At its sale price of $210, is this the best subwoofer to be had for this amount of money (for small apartment room, low to mid volume listening)? I need one to pair with Neumi BS5 speakers. Before I place an order, please share your more educated opinion (consider other subwoofers at their sale price too). Thanks.

Last edited:

nstzya

They offer a 3 channel sound bar version utilizing these drivers augmented by passive radiators in a larger box volume. And currently on sale.
I am limited to on wall center - have to wonder how effective this would be with just center channel operating. And even more curious if the passive radiators were active…

Last edited:

SivKiv

They offer a 3 channel sound bar version utilizing these drivers augmented by passive radiators in a larger box volume. And currently on sale.
I am limited to on wall center - have to wonder how effective this would be with just center channel operating. And even more curious if the passive radiators were active…
I'm just curious about what if they implemented this driver in a 3 way design with better crossovers haha(see KEF R3's for example)

jbattman1016

I'm just curious about what if they implemented this driver in a 3 way design with better crossovers haha(see KEF R3's for example)
That would likely cut into the margins of their other three way offerings. :)

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I think the actual issue is that the woofer has way too much distortion - if you will look at another budget king, the Emotiva B1+, it looks like the B1+ has 20-30db less THD at 96db@1m from 200hz up when compared to this satellite. It would need to be re-worked for them to make an R3-alike.

SivKiv

I think the actual issue is that the woofer has way too much distortion - if you will look at another budget king, the Emotiva B1+, it looks like the B1+ has 20-30db less THD at 96db@1m from 200hz up when compared to this satellite. It would need to be re-worked for them to make an R3-alike.
It doesn't really seem like the driver should be used as a woofer honestly, the driver surrounds seems to be small to minimise any diffraction, which is only a sensible compromise if used as a midrange. I'd expect big improvements if it only has to play at the range most midrange drivers are meant to play. The other thing is that distortion above 200hz seems largely limited to 2nd order HD, which, while not ideal, is much preferred over 3rd order HD, although, the Monolith does still have 5-10dB more on average than the B1+. Also, I don't actually expect these to come super close to the R3 either, just a potential good budget alternative if implemented well.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Even looking at 500hz and up, it doesn't stack too well when compared to the B1+, which is in the same ballpark in price. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Monoprice do it, I just suspect a rework with a different woofer is needed.

SivKiv

Even looking at 500hz and up, it doesn't stack too well when compared to the B1+, which is in the same ballpark in price. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Monoprice do it, I just suspect a rework with a different woofer is needed.
Yeah, the driver(s) seems to be having pretty big issues in terms of THD. But I'd say it's a compromise that is likely required to have a coax midrange driver with a small surround while remaining cheap at the same time. I mean hey, if Monolith manages to improve on the Coax's HD performance while not compromising on what makes the coax a good coax, that'll be fantastic. But what I will say regardless is that an addition of a woofer will likely alleviate some of the HD issues across the board, at least, for the coax's "woofer".

jbattman1016

Monoprice does have the Encore B5, maybe they can re-work that to hold this speaker instead of the current mid woofer there.

SivKiv

Monoprice does have the Encore B5, maybe they can re-work that to hold this speaker instead of the current mid woofer there.
Yeah, that could work. But ideally the cabinet wouldn't have such sharp edges to minimise diffraction though. Plus, I believe a ported cabinet would be more ideal to get lower while putting less strain on the woofer itself.

surroundman

At its sale price of $210, is this the best subwoofer to be had for this amount of money (for small apartment room, low to mid volume listening)? I need one to pair with Neumi BS5 speakers. Before I place an order, please share your more educated opinion (consider other subwoofers at their sale price too). Thanks.
I have ordered a second subwoofer, it is performing excellently for my needs. It costs $135 on Ebay, what a steal!

mfk233

Hey folks - first time poster.
Extremely new to the hobby.
Just picked up the Monoprice M518HT open box for $260.

I have M-Audio BX5 D2 monitors on my work desk + a Dayton 12 inch sub so that really is my reference.

The satellites aren't as transparent, or neutral as the monitors which is to be expected.
I feel the M-Audios have a better sound stage as well.
But its still fun listening to music on the satellites + subs.

If I listen to the satellites by themselves, they do kind of sound tinny and bright.
The sub really helps them sound bigger.
But I'm not complaining, the system sounds head and shoulders better than my $200 clearance Vizio soundbar from 2018.
I'm running them off of an Onkyo TX-NR6050. This came with accuEQ but I haven't run it yet.

I had a few questions about the sub:
- The sub at high SPL seems to vibrate/bounce on my hardwood floor violently and loudly (due to the downward firing design). What could be the solution to this? Furniture felt pads was one idea that came to mind.
- The sub came with a foam plug. Should I leave that in or out?
- What eq setting should I set the sub to?

Any opinions would be much appreciated as I am just starting out and do not even begin to understand the charts that Erin and the other folks measure and post.

jbattman1016

Hey folks - first time poster.
Extremely new to the hobby.
Just picked up the Monoprice M518HT open box for $260.

I have M-Audio BX5 D2 monitors on my work desk + a Dayton 12 inch sub so that really is my reference.

The satellites aren't as transparent, or neutral as the monitors which is to be expected.
I feel the M-Audios have a better sound stage as well.
But its still fun listening to music on the satellites + subs.

If I listen to the satellites by themselves, they do kind of sound tinny and bright.
The sub really helps them sound bigger.
But I'm not complaining, the system sounds head and shoulders better than my $200 clearance Vizio soundbar from 2018.
I'm running them off of an Onkyo TX-NR6050. This came with accuEQ but I haven't run it yet.

I had a few questions about the sub:
- The sub at high SPL seems to vibrate/bounce on my hardwood floor violently and loudly (due to the downward firing design). What could be the solution to this? Furniture felt pads was one idea that came to mind.
- The sub came with a foam plug. Should I leave that in or out?
- What eq setting should I set the sub to?

Any opinions would be much appreciated as I am just starting out and do not even begin to understand the charts that Erin and the other folks measure and post.
Try the pads and see what happens. Run the EQ from the Onkyo as that may help the satellites flatten out. Do you have a crossover set in your system? I think with these speakers, you may want that set to something above 100Hz.
You may also have an issue with Sub placement if you are having issues hearing bass from the unit. The plug will likely control bass extension. If you plug it that is likely more for music, try with both the plug and without and see what you like.

DJNX

Bought these as surrounds. These are great.
Any alternative that avoids the downsides of these speakers are of 30cm depth, and I didn’t really want that, for the size of my room.
Since the price is very cheap, I decided to buy these and just buy something else, if I found these insufficient.
The integration with my KEF R3 is superb.

I even tried them on their own, and with my subwoofer, and side-to-side with the R3. The sound is very clean, very neutral. The dip at 1KHz is not as noticeable. The overall good frequency response greatly diminished the impact of the dip.
When it comes to passives, you can do much worse, for double or even triple the price.
...as long as you don’t go too loud, of course.

It is exactly what I was looking for: R3s but small, and for surround, and no tonal or "sound signature" shift, when sound goes from the R3 to the surrounds.
The original plan was to use LS50s, but now I doubt I will bother with that.

Top Bottom