• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith Encore T5 speaker, listening impressions of a cheapskate

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received the speakers a few days ago. I'm using them in my bedroom system. I replaced a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I'm using the same Monoprice low end 12" subwoofer.

The speakers were on sale for $89 each, a 70% discount from the stated list price. They may be clearing them. I bought them on impulse encouraged by the offer of an interest free 4 payment deal.

I had been pretty happy with the Pioneer speakers. Amir, and many others have given them very positive reviews. I was curious if I'd like a tower setup any better. The speakers take up about the same amount of room that the Pioneers did because I had them sitting on shelf units to place them at ear level. I put the Monoprice speakers in the same place. My Elac EA-101EQ-G amp has a simple room correction feature that uses a phone app. I used a Parts Express calibration mic--the cheap one that plugs into a phone 1/8" jack--in place of the phone mic.

The only measuring equipment I have is the wetware devices on the sides of my head so my impressions of the speakers are completely subjective. Overall I prefer the Monoprice speakers. I hear some detail in the audio that I didn't hear with the Pioneers and violins that sounded distorted to me in classical recordings sound better. Because I can't comprehend the adjectives like "warm" and "silky" that I often see in subjective audio reviews I won't use them. Overall I find the sound a bit clearer. Some recordings that I didn't care for on the previous speakers sound better to me. As far as value, I bought the Pioneer speakers for $70 for the pair on sale at Fry's, back when there was a Fry's. For about 2.5 times the price I got what I see as a moderate sound improvement, no road to Damascus moment. Diminishing returns apply. The enclosures are black MDF and look unobtrusive, an important feature for use in a small room. The outrigger feet make them harder to knock over. Overall I'm pleased. I wouldn't buy them for the list price. At 70% off they're pretty good.

My favorite music is pre-WWII blues. Most of the reissue recordings available are dubbed from used 78s so they're not exactly high fidelity and a lot of what is called remastering consists mainly of filtering out the highs. Too bad John R. T. Davies couldn't get to anywhere near all the pre-WWII blues and jazz. I have a lot of classical and jazz recorded on modern equipment. These are the recordings I used for "testing."

BTW, on the Monoprice site there's a graph of on axis frequency response at about 90 dB. It's pretty flat above 100 Hz. I can't say whether or not it's of much value. I set the crossover point on the subwoofer at 100 Hz and that, to the naked ear, seems fine. The Pioneers are now my desktop speakers together with a 20 year old Cambridge Soundworks 10" subwoofer, replacing the nearly 30 year old Cambridge Soundworks New Ensemble I'd been using. I got to free up some floor space.
Thanks for that fun review.

I bet in the DIY section, there would be ample cheap tweaks to improve things, as well.

tbob22

If you take a screenshot from my video and adjust the scale so they match, is it a closer match?
It doesn't seem like it would. I'll overlay yours in a bit, was just trying monoprices to see how it lined up when i scale it to match the frequencies (used a bit more aggressive smoothing like they did as well). Obviously I have issues in that room in the lower freqs.

Sorry for the messy graph just added an overlay for the +/-3db and 6db. Green is my measurement. I wasn't measuring quite as loud as they were so that may make a small difference.

T5.png

Last edited:

tbob22

Thanks for that fun review.

I bet in the DIY section, there would be ample cheap tweaks to improve things, as well.
There is an issue where it's driven very hard the top woofer will bottom out way before the other two - maybe changing how the crossover is set up could solve that. But it does have to be driven very hard to get to that point - louder than most people will listen and of course if you have a sub that would probably be a non-issue.

tbob22

Red is @joentell's measurement. A lot of the same characteristics but definitely seeing hotter highs by about 3db.

Edit: sorry messed up the scale a bit - it's actually closer to 4db hotter.

1695761672400.png

Last edited:

joentell

Reviewer
Red is @joentell's measurement. A lot of the same characteristics but definitely seeing hotter highs by about 3db.

Edit: sorry messed up the scale a bit - it's actually closer to 4db hotter.

View attachment 314965
I've remeasured several times. The top end response on mine above 16khz extends out further in these (stupidly had the mic set to 44.1khz from a previous test) but the rest is about the same. It might be related to distance since I am using a nearfield MMM measurement using pink noise. Here's an overlay with yours and mine both set to 3ft. I still see more treble on this one.

I'm getting the same treble rise with the Encore B5 from 1ft away using MMM.

I try to double-check my measurements regularly by comparing mine to some from the Klippel when possible. I'm usually pretty close.

Attachments

• overlay 3ft.jpg
    overlay 3ft.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 66
  • B5 1ft.png
    B5 1ft.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 65

tbob22

I've remeasured several times. The top end response on mine above 16khz extends out further in these (stupidly had the mic set to 44.1khz from a previous test) but the rest is about the same. It might be related to distance since I am using a nearfield MMM measurement using pink noise. Here's an overlay with yours and mine both set to 3ft. I still see more treble on this one.

I'm getting the same treble rise with the Encore B5 from 1ft away using MMM.

I try to double-check my measurements regularly by comparing mine to some from the Klippel when possible. I'm usually pretty close.
Yeah, I'm not sure. I wouldn't expect that much difference from just a dac/amp but it's possible. It would take +3-4db in treble control to get the treble that high and it may affect lower/mid highs as well. At that level I would definitely consider it to be overly bright. I'll also try again at a bit higher volume.

I could be mistaken but aren't Monoprice measurements anechoic? I would expect those to be pretty accurate.

I noticed slightly more high end compared to my old Wharfedale 9.2's that moved to another room but it wasn't really dramatic and those are known to be pretty laid back speakers. I can try on a different dac/amp, I also have an Onkyo NR7100 and some older Yamaha receivers I can try when I get a chance.

I know the idea of burn-in is generally frowned upon but after using them for 20h or so either the sound changed or I've just become more accustomed to the sound. I didn't find them anywhere near as bright as the Sony SSCS3's in any case.

joentell

Reviewer
Yeah, I'm not sure. I wouldn't expect that much difference from just a dac/amp but it's possible. It would take +3-4db in treble control to get the treble that high and it may affect lower/mid highs as well. At that level I would definitely consider it to be overly bright. I'll also try again at a bit higher volume.

I could be mistaken but aren't Monoprice measurements anechoic? I would expect those to be pretty accurate.

I noticed slightly more high end compared to my old Wharfedale 9.2's that moved to another room but it wasn't really dramatic and those are known to be pretty laid back speakers. I can try on a different dac/amp, I also have an Onkyo NR7100 and some older Yamaha receivers I can try when I get a chance.

I know the idea of burn-in is generally frowned upon but after using them for 20h or so either the sound changed or I've just become more accustomed to the sound. I didn't find them anywhere near as bright as the Sony SSCS3's in any case.
I know your measurements match closely to Monolith's measurements on their site. From my understanding, that's what they intended the FR to be, but a change in manufacturing caused the tweeter to be more efficient that intended, hence the increased in treble.

Maybe if you measure you 9.2's and compare it with an anechoic measurement, we'll see what's happening.

tbob22

I know your measurements match closely to Monolith's measurements on their site. From my understanding, that's what they intended the FR to be, but a change in manufacturing caused the tweeter to be more efficient that intended, hence the increased in treble.

Maybe if you measure you 9.2's and compare it with an anechoic measurement, we'll see what's happening.
At higher volumes things definitely start to line up closer. I guess that's why I prefer the -2db treble in non-direct, at lower volumes it doesn't seem to really overtake the mids but at higher volumes things seem to change. I don't know if that's something to do with the amp or speaker related. Will have to try different dac/amp.

It's looking like ~2db hotter in that region at 80db vs 90db.

Edit: Oops I guess I overlayed your B5 measurement :D

T5-Pan200-90db.png

Last edited:

tbob22

Tried the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II (on the Carver amp this time) and it definitely measures differently (matched SPL in REW to line the charts). A bit brighter all around (like the loud measurement), I'm guessing the 20y Panasonic is just coloring the sound. For whatever reason the woofers move way less on the SMSL at the start of the test. I was typically running -3db to -5db bass and -1 or -2db treble.

Whatever the reason for the differences if one were to use Dirac or even just tone controls none of this likely really matters much.

smslvspan.png

joentell

Reviewer
Tried the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II (on the Carver amp this time) and it definitely measures differently (matched SPL in REW to line the charts). A bit brighter all around (like the loud measurement), I'm guessing the 20y Panasonic is just coloring the sound. For whatever reason the woofers move way less on the SMSL at the start of the test. I was typically running -3db to -5db bass and -1 or -2db treble.

Whatever the reason for the differences if one were to use Dirac or even just tone controls none of this likely really matters much.

View attachment 315029
This is what I love about objective measurements. It allows you to find out more about your system and components. Thanks for taking the time to take more measurements.

tbob22

This is what I love about objective measurements. It allows you to find out more about your system and components. Thanks for taking the time to take more measurements.
No problem. Appreciate the in depth review - I'm guessing more modern equipment will show these speakers being a bit brighter.

Just for comparisons sake here are the 9.2's as well. Even though they look similar in the low end they really aren't comparable at the listening position. The 9.2's have nice extension for a bookshelf but do not pressurize the room at all while the T5's do a bit.

I think the issue at 400-800hz is likely an issue in the room. I'll try in another room sometime and see if that smooths out.

t5vs92-smsl.png

joentell

Reviewer
No problem. Appreciate the in depth review - I'm guessing more modern equipment will show these speakers being a bit brighter.

Just for comparisons sake here are the 9.2's as well. Even though they look similar in the low end they really aren't comparable at the listening position. The 9.2's have nice extension for a bookshelf but do not pressurize the room at all while the T5's do a bit.

I think the issue at 400-800hz is likely an issue in the room. I'll try in another room sometime and see if that smooths out.

View attachment 315036
Wow. Aside from the obvious difference between 1khz-4khz, they track oddly well.

tbob22

Wow. Aside from the obvious difference between 1khz-4khz, they track oddly well.
I feel like I'm measuring the room - not so much the speaker. :D

Here are measurements from the 9.1's back in the day. Everyone called them laid back but the measurements don't show them that laid back. So many used to that Klipsch sound maybe?

joentell

Reviewer

Here are measurements from the 9.1's back in the day. Everyone called them laid back but the measurements don't show them that laid back. So many used to that Klipsch sound maybe?

That's why I like MMM. You can take a spatial average while staying closer to the speaker which minimizes the effects of the room. Anyway, I don't want to detail the conversation. I just enjoy this stuff.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe they appeared to some as laidback due to the strongly increasing directivity at the upper end?
WharfW91fig5.jpg

Many years ago I owned a pair of 10.1 and also don't remember them to sound aggressive/forward.

tbob22

That's why I like MMM. You can take a spatial average while staying closer to the speaker which minimizes the effects of the room. Anyway, I don't want to detail the conversation. I just enjoy this stuff.
Yeah, I did use that method in the office with EQ APO to get bit better response over a larger area. Dirac kind of does this as well as part of the setup.

Maybe they appeared to some as laidback due to the strongly increasing directivity at the upper end?
WharfW91fig5.jpg

Many years ago I owned a pair of 10.1 and also don't remember them to sound aggressive/forward.
Yeah, could be. I have a pair of 10.1's in the office and I never found them harsh. I bought quite a few Diamonds. Way back when I auditioned several speakers including some BW's (don't remember model) and the 9.2's stood out to me especially at the price.

ernperkins

This is a bit late since the T5 $90/speaker sale is over, but anyone who did buy them may find this information interesting. I disassembled one of my T5 speakers and analyzed the components. See the attachment for my results:

• Driver data including frame measurements, measured Thiele-Small parameters, Xmax data and free air impedance measurements.

• Measured and published system impedance plots.

• Various internal cabinet measurements.

• Photos of drivers, crossover board and internal cables.

• Crossover schematic with measured component values.
I’m very impressed with what I received for $90 per speaker. The cabinet build quality is impressive – the cabinets themselves are easily worth that much. The 5 1/4" drivers have simple motors, but the impedance plots don’t show any problems. The tweeter impedance plot does show a resonance at 4 khz, but I won’t know the actual impact until I do the individual driver frequency response measurements.

A few posts mentioned that they think the tweeter is a bit hot. This is a case where the bi-wiring terminals might actually prove useful. Replace the positive connecting link with a resistor in the 0.5 to 1.5 ohm range to reduce the tweeter output to your taste. If you look at the crossover schematic, you’ll notice the crossover already has a 1 ohm resistor on the front end so you’ll just be adding to that.

My next stage will consist of measuring the individual driver frequency responses and then deciding what I ultimately want to do for modifications.

Attachments

• Monoprice T5 Teardown Information.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

tbob22

This is a bit late since the T5 $90/speaker sale is over, but anyone who did buy them may find this information interesting. I disassembled one of my T5 speakers and analyzed the components. See the attachment for my results:

• Driver data including frame measurements, measured Thiele-Small parameters, Xmax data and free air impedance measurements.

• Measured and published system impedance plots.

• Various internal cabinet measurements.

• Photos of drivers, crossover board and internal cables.

• Crossover schematic with measured component values.
I’m very impressed with what I received for $90 per speaker. The cabinet build quality is impressive – the cabinets themselves are easily worth that much. The 5 1/4" drivers have simple motors, but the impedance plots don’t show any problems. The tweeter impedance plot does show a resonance at 4 khz, but I won’t know the actual impact until I do the individual driver frequency response measurements.

A few posts mentioned that they think the tweeter is a bit hot. This is a case where the bi-wiring terminals might actually prove useful. Replace the positive connecting link with a resistor in the 0.5 to 1.5 ohm range to reduce the tweeter output to your taste. If you look at the crossover schematic, you’ll notice the crossover already has a 1 ohm resistor on the front end so you’ll just be adding to that.

My next stage will consist of measuring the individual driver frequency responses and then deciding what I ultimately want to do for modifications.
Great info.

I noticed the density of the cabinet - really impressive at this price and would still be quite good at the MSRP.

I suspected the top woofer was different due to how it handles power differently compared to the other two - it plays much louder and moves significantly more when pushed.

jbattman1016

I was playing these with the ports stuffed. This made the speakers mid and high frequencies very pronounced. Adjusting the 2 band eq of bass from 0 to 4 and leaving treble at 0. Wow. Wonderful. Maybe they should ship these as sealed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom