• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith Encore T5 speaker, listening impressions of a cheapskate

Barrelhouse Solly

I received the speakers a few days ago. I'm using them in my bedroom system. I replaced a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I'm using the same Monoprice low end 12" subwoofer.

The speakers were on sale for $89 each, a 70% discount from the stated list price. They may be clearing them. I bought them on impulse encouraged by the offer of an interest free 4 payment deal.

I had been pretty happy with the Pioneer speakers. Amir, and many others have given them very positive reviews. I was curious if I'd like a tower setup any better. The speakers take up about the same amount of room that the Pioneers did because I had them sitting on shelf units to place them at ear level. I put the Monoprice speakers in the same place. My Elac EA-101EQ-G amp has a simple room correction feature that uses a phone app. I used a Parts Express calibration mic--the cheap one that plugs into a phone 1/8" jack--in place of the phone mic.

The only measuring equipment I have is the wetware devices on the sides of my head so my impressions of the speakers are completely subjective. Overall I prefer the Monoprice speakers. I hear some detail in the audio that I didn't hear with the Pioneers and violins that sounded distorted to me in classical recordings sound better. Because I can't comprehend the adjectives like "warm" and "silky" that I often see in subjective audio reviews I won't use them. Overall I find the sound a bit clearer. Some recordings that I didn't care for on the previous speakers sound better to me. As far as value, I bought the Pioneer speakers for $70 for the pair on sale at Fry's, back when there was a Fry's. For about 2.5 times the price I got what I see as a moderate sound improvement, no road to Damascus moment. Diminishing returns apply. The enclosures are black MDF and look unobtrusive, an important feature for use in a small room. The outrigger feet make them harder to knock over. Overall I'm pleased. I wouldn't buy them for the list price. At 70% off they're pretty good.

My favorite music is pre-WWII blues. Most of the reissue recordings available are dubbed from used 78s so they're not exactly high fidelity and a lot of what is called remastering consists mainly of filtering out the highs. Too bad John R. T. Davies couldn't get to anywhere near all the pre-WWII blues and jazz. I have a lot of classical and jazz recorded on modern equipment. These are the recordings I used for "testing."

BTW, on the Monoprice site there's a graph of on axis frequency response at about 90 dB. It's pretty flat above 100 Hz. I can't say whether or not it's of much value. I set the crossover point on the subwoofer at 100 Hz and that, to the naked ear, seems fine. The Pioneers are now my desktop speakers together with a 20 year old Cambridge Soundworks 10" subwoofer, replacing the nearly 30 year old Cambridge Soundworks New Ensemble I'd been using. I got to free up some floor space.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For $180 a pair, sheesh. You could spend more on just the waveguides if you wanted to DIY something like this... if the performance is anywhere near what the FR graph on their product page shows I figure these are a very reasonable deal, if not a steal.

Can you give any subjective sense of how the directivity is? Like, if you walk in a semicircle around the speaker at a single distance... does the treble seem to change wildly or is it pretty even?

Somebody with $200 sitting idle in their wallet should ship these to Amir just for the hell of it...

fineMen

Major Contributor
I received the speakers a few days ago. ...
My favorite music is pre-WWII blues. ...
BTW, on the Monoprice site there's a graph of on axis frequency response at about 90 dB. It's pretty flat ...
I bet they measure fancy flat on paper ;-) But finally, isn't it the music that counts? The decision to make the third woofer a dedicated midrange pleases me, well done!

jbattman1016

I was going to pull the trigger on some emotivas, but this seems like a crazy weird deal for a small room system I'm working on. So I think I'll try this instead, small investment.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

For $180 a pair, sheesh. You could spend more on just the waveguides if you wanted to DIY something like this... if the performance is anywhere near what the FR graph on their product page shows I figure these are a very reasonable deal, if not a steal.

Can you give any subjective sense of how the directivity is? Like, if you walk in a semicircle around the speaker at a single distance... does the treble seem to change wildly or is it pretty even?

Somebody with $200 sitting idle in their wallet should ship these to Amir just for the hell of it...
I'll have to try that.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pink noise from a Youtube clip is a good way to listen to this as you can hear the different frequencies becoming more or less prominent as you move around. An app like Speccy or a similar RTA app on your chosen platform can give you a visual indication of what you are hearing too.
+1 to using pink noise, definitely easier to hear that kind of thing than with music.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

I fired up my Android phone free loudness meter app and did some sciency/sciencish measurements. I used 1000 Hz pink noise recorded using the Dcart Make Waves menu option. Because of the width of the room I measured at 2 feet using my trusty 70s era Sears tape. At O degrees (on axis) ~76 dB. At 45 degrees ~73 dB. At 90 degrees 71 dB. I chose the "reference" level based on what I could take without earplugs. I offer this in the spirit of what it's worth. Obviously this wasn't a lab environment. ;) By my fallible ears, when I get past the 90 degree point, i. e. behind the front of the speaker, I hear level change.

I'm keeping the speakers. Like Chuck Berry said about his Lincoln, "It's the Ford I can afford." Only in his case his budget was a bit larger than mine.

ernperkins

I bought a pair and plan on doing a teardown. I did get a surprise when I used pink noise to break them in: the top mid-woofer moved a lot more (twice as much?) as the two bottom woofers. I'm wondering if they're 4 ohm drivers and the bottom two are in series. Won't know for sure until I get into the crossover. I can post some measurements in the future.

tbob22

Picked up a pair, couldn't resist with another 7% off at eBay then 3% CB.

I can run REW on them - I'm guessing they will be a bit bright based on the Audition T5 reviews. Will be using them in the family room (currently have some Wharfedale Diamond 9.2's in there on TV stand which will move to another room) and pairing them with an old Panasonic SA-HE200 - hopefully can tame them a bit with the tone controls. If not maybe they would pair a bit better with an old Carver 15CB I have laying around.

jbattman1016

Mine arrived quick, but only just unpacked them, very nice packaging and appearance for what we are paying. Seem a little short for towers. I'll report back when I get them hooked up to the baby AMP.

jbattman1016

Got one hooked up, oh my, very nice so far. Also, the SMSL A50 sounds great, had the Rock EQ at first enabled, but went back to no EQ and it does sound a little bright. I think this might have to do with the heigh of the speakers relative to my position, but not sure. Need to hook up the other side for the upgrade to stereo.

jbattman1016

Sorry for the non-science evaluation of the speakers, I believe someone else will be providing that information. :)

After playing around for a short bit of time, I found EQ settings of -1 Trebble and +1 Bass (the limited options from the A50) seems to sound good to my ears. I wouldn't call the bass detailed, but it's there. I would like to point out that from my position of about 8 ft away, the sound appears to be coming out from above the speaker, not sure what effect that is, but that works for me. :)

This set would sound wonderful with a sub, I'm thinking the baby RSL-10S or similar, so maybe a good option for a secondary 2.1 music setup. The sub options really kill the lower price of these. As a 2.0 setup it works as expected.

Anyway, thanks for helping me spend my money on some great value in audio!

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

Sorry for the non-science evaluation of the speakers, I believe someone else will be providing that information. :)

After playing around for a short bit of time, I found EQ settings of -1 Trebble and +1 Bass (the limited options from the A50) seems to sound good to my ears. I wouldn't call the bass detailed, but it's there. I would like to point out that from my position of about 8 ft away, the sound appears to be coming out from above the speaker, not sure what effect that is, but that works for me. :)

This set would sound wonderful with a sub, I'm thinking the baby RSL-10S or similar, so maybe a good option for a secondary 2.1 music setup. The sub options really kill the lower price of these. As a 2.0 setup it works as expected.

Anyway, thanks for helping me spend my money on some great value in audio!
I use a sub with mine. I set the crossover at 100 Hz. I'm mostly a classical basshead. I love chamber music that features cello, viola da gamba, and string bass. I've sung in bar bands so I have a reasonable idea what electric music with a bass should sound like.

tbob22

Mine arrived - first impressions:
  • Very well packed
  • Build quality seems fairly high considering the price - veneer has somewhat sharp edges so any bump will likely damage them
  • Gloss top looks quite nice
  • Woofers are not the same as the listing - looks exactly like the Encore T6 just smaller
  • More narrow than expected

Will give them a listen later - just unpacked them over lunch.

Next to nearly 20 year old Wharfedale 9.2's

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 252

jbattman1016

Mine arrived - first impressions:
  • Very well packed
  • Build quality seems fairly high considering the price - veneer has somewhat sharp edges so any bump will likely damage them
  • Gloss top looks quite nice
  • Woofers are not the same as the listing - looks exactly like the Encore T6 just smaller
  • More narrow than expected

Will give them a listen later - just unpacked them over lunch.

Next to nearly 20 year old Wharfedale 9.2's
I would say after some usage, this is basically like a bookshelf with 5 inch speakers and a built-in stand :D

tbob22

I would say after some usage, this is basically like a bookshelf with 5 inch speakers and a built-in stand :D
That's kind of what most budget towers are :). Just more volume for bass extension.

The 9.2's aren't really used for much else other than TV right now so they will be better off in another room with a more suitable (music focused) setup.

Will see how the T5's measure - the 9.2's have pretty usable (in room) extension down to about 40-45hz with the single 6.5" woofer - never felt the need for more bass for casual TV usage, etc. Do the more serious watching in the theater which has two PB2000's.

Last edited:

tbob22

Gave them a quick listen. First impressions:
  • Much more bass extension than I was expecting. I'm hearing well into the 30hz range at reasonable levels in room - sofa is about 2ft away from back wall and towers are about 1ft off front wall. It's enough to feel it - not bad at all for small towers.
  • Treble can get a little peaky - I'm guessing there is a bump in the ~1-3k range
  • Midrange is a bit veiled compared to the 9.2's (or maybe the 9.2's are pushing midrange a bit)
  • Soundstage is smaller compared to the 9.2's but still fairly wide - this may be able to be improved with placement
  • Some treble ranges sound quite transparent - I'd say slightly more detail overall compared to the 9.2's on same amp
  • As someone else noted the top driver is moving a lot more compared to the lower drivers - going by the graphic the tweeter and top driver may be in their own (sealed?) enclosure while the two bottom drivers are maybe open to the port.
Currently paired with Carver 15CB as I already had one set up.

This is in an untreated room so nothing is controlled here.

Top Bottom