• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but...imagine now getting hacked, all those buttons up for crabs.. disco!!
They can't hack me. I'm behind seven proxies.:cool:
1566579957181.jpg

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like I have to read the manual then. Thanks.

If people did that then these threads would be ridiculously short and concise...

Toxmarz

I am interested in this try and integrate a turntable into the system with the benefit of the same DSP and Dirac as digital signal. As far as the RCA vs TRS connectors, my turntable/tonearm has DIN to RCA connectors. Would there be any benefit as far as the (slightly) lower performance of RCA and even lower with RCA to TRS with adapters if I used a custom DIN to TRS cable. Or would that be the same as an adapter, or no better than just using RCA, or something else altogether.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's not true. Well, possibly unless FIR filters are used I suppose.

100% sure? For the SHD the latency remains the same regardless of the use of Dirac for instance.

Ultrasonic

100% sure? For the SHD the latency remains the same regardless of the use of Dirac for instance.
If you check back you'll see my reply referred specifically (and only) to the 2x4 HD.

You are correct re. the SHD but the 2x4 HD doesn't have Dirac Live (it becomes a DDRC-24 if this is added).

Ultrasonic

Definitely true for the 2X4HD and the DDRC-24, imagine the same is true of the Flex. A bit different than the SHD as Dirac uses a completely different plug in.

Michael
The SHD and DDRC-24 plugin approaches are the same aren't they - as in a button to launch the main Dirac Live application? Are they definitely different in terms of the latency impact of the units using Dirac?

The best guess would be the the Flex would mirror the DDRC-24 situation I should think.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SHD and DDRC-24 plugin approaches are the same aren't they - as in a button to launch the main Dirac Live application? Are they definitely different in terms of the latency impact of the units using Dirac?

The best guess would be the the Flex would mirror the DDRC-24 situation I should think.

I agree that the Flex would mirror the 2X4HD behavior. I've measured the latency of the 2X4HD at around 2-3 ms.

I also think the DDRC-24 and the SHD have the same behavior of increased latency (20-30 ms IIRC) regardless of whether Dirac is engaged. Don't have the measurements handy right now but I'll test it when I have free time.

Michael

Ultrasonic

I agree that the Flex would mirror the 2X4HD behavior. I've measured the latency of the 2X4HD at around 2-3 ms.

I also think the DDRC-24 and the SHD have the same behavior of increased latency (20-30 ms IIRC) regardless of whether Dirac is engaged. Don't have the measurements handy right now but I'll test it when I have free time.

Michael

To be clear, I suspect a Flex without Dirac will behave like a 2x4 HD, and a Flex with Dirac will behave like a DDRC-24. I suspect you may think the same but I think your posts above may confuse some. (miniDSP's mixed naming approach isn't entirely helpful here.)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, I suspect a Flex without Dirac will behave like a 2x4 HD, and a Flex with Dirac will behave like a DDRC-24. I suspect you may think the same but I think your posts above may confuse some. (miniDSP's mixed naming approach isn't entirely helpful here.)

Yes, I agree.

Michael

Rafaille

Always a shame when functionality gets lost.

I was thinking of getting a infrared emitter diode for the RaspberryPi, i could replace all my remotes (7?) with a webpage with plenty of buttons or something.
Have you ever tinkered with Home Assistant? It is a modern privacy-oriented smart home platform that can be run on a RPi. Integration with a Broadlink IR emitter or similar is great.
I used to use this to send commands to my integrated amp and TV although apart from rare use cases I don't really need it anymore.
Warning: this is yet another rabbit hole.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I have a Raspberry Pi running Volumio connected to my Flex via USB. Is there any benefit in resampling in Volumio to 24/48 or 32/48, instead of leaving the Flex to resample everything to 32/48?

I’ve been using the Pi to resample everything to 32/48 to date - only because it has the horsepower, and it seems to work well (no drops, glitches etc).

Attachments

• C658841B-47AC-4E7E-A773-49EE208B4911.jpeg
    C658841B-47AC-4E7E-A773-49EE208B4911.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 79

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been discussed somewhere in the other Flex thread. Without measurement we can't be sure.

Probably not audible anyway.:cool:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
FWIW, I just got my Flex balanced today, loaded with FW 1.23, plugin v1.21. Definitely still has IR learning capability. Reprogrammed it to my old Apple remote and everything is fine. Note, you can't learn/program the standby function.

View attachment 188338
Nice! I hadn't noticed they released a version 1.23 firmware update. It's nice to see both of the fixes they sent me are included here (Dirac and the firmware issue). I just checked and it's available for download on their site:

Plugin V1.15 - Firmware v1.23 / 16th Feb 2022
  • Bug fix: Dirac live Bypass status not carried over when preset change.
  • IR learning GUI update
  • OSx Monterey compatibility update / Can open-load multiple files.
  • Fixing timing out issue for firmware upgrade on OSx

holbob

FWIW, I just got my Flex balanced today, loaded with FW 1.23, plugin v1.21. Definitely still has IR learning capability. Reprogrammed it to my old Apple remote and everything is fine. Note, you can't learn/program the standby function.

View attachment 188338
Is that all of the potential commands? No direct input source?

Zed

Question: I have a sub that’s 30-ish feet away from my cabinet, currently connected to a vintage receiver with 12AWG speaker wire. I ordered a balanced flex and hypex amp to replace the receiver, and wondering if I can use that wire, with trs -> rca terminations? Not sure if 4V is enough? Or go with a wireless signal somehow? Thanks!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
12-ga speaker wire will go from your Hypex amp to you speakers, and it will work fine. You’ll need a pair of TRS-to-XLR cables to go from the miniDSP to the Hypex amp.

Rick “line level not the same as speaker level” Denney

bud947

View attachment 188338
Great news!
When did you order your MiniDSP Flex ? (Trying to estimate when I'll receive the one I ordered on 11/02)

Top Bottom