• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube testing 5 to 10 ads before videos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmz. My life is YouTube....lol. This is bad news. I'll pay to subscribe.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd probably just tend to stop watching youtube or at least try to find video content that hasn't been setup that way. If their subscription came with auto commercial deletion on the dvr it might be interesting at a lower price....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
or at least try to find video content that hasn't been setup that way.
It's sticky stuff. A huge company has the lease on huge quantities of entertainment and otherwise interesting videos and stuff. It's almost time for gov intervention. For the sake of the artists.

EDIT: In Canada we have the CRTC that regulates content.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recently, to watch a 10 minute video, I had to endure a 30 second pause for every minute of video, on the third pause I decided I was fed up and closed the video.
I don't like using adblockers because I understand that those who create videos support themselves with advertisements, but I must say that this is unbearable and I prefer not to watch anything. I will not pay a YouTube subscription to watch videos, and I believe that placing such an explicitly annoying and invasive advertisement is just for that, to push users to a premium subscription.
This form of blackmail makes me sick

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's sticky stuff. A huge company has the lease on huge quantities of entertainment and otherwise interesting videos and stuff. It's almost time for gov intervention. For the sake of the artists.

EDIT: In Canada we have the CRTC that regulates content.
CRTC regulates youtube videos? I find some videos currently have minimal/no commercialization but I suppose that depends on the provider monetizing it or not (if that's even an option under the new crap ton of commercials). I generally go to internet/subscription services to avoid commercials, few ever have anything I want to buy and am fine with doing my own research. I don't mind paying a nominal fee for a subscription to youtube tv for a reduction in youtube's own ads, but $65/mo (or is it 70?) is too much for what they offer, altho the dvr service is nice but doesn't eliminate the other commercials either.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently, to watch a 10 minute video, I had to endure a 30 second pause for every minute of video, on the third pause I decided I was fed up and closed the video.
I don't like using adblockers because I understand that those who create videos support themselves with advertisements, but I must say that this is unbearable and I prefer not to watch anything. I will not pay a YouTube subscription to watch videos, and I believe that placing such an explicitly annoying and invasive advertisement is just for that, to push users to a premium subscription.
This form of blackmail makes me sick
Me as well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
CRTC regulates youtube videos?
Not that I am aware of although in recent months buzz has been that Netflix and YouTube etc would have to comply with certain numbers. It's brewing. That's how we maintain such numbers of entertainers in comparison to the USA. CRTC keeps the money flowing and changing hands.
$65/mo (or is it 70?) is too much for what they offer
Totally too much. My present internet service is ~$85/mo for 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up. I don't want another fee for internet access to entertainment.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If only YouTube was just about entertainment.

I think I mainly use it for education. Educating myself but also my children at times.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I think I mainly use it for education. Educating myself but also my children at times.
I self educate too but I use it several or more hours per day for entertainment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I am aware of although in recent months buzz has been that Netflix and YouTube etc would have to comply with certain numbers. It's brewing. That's how we maintain such numbers of entertainers in comparison to the USA. CRTC keeps the money flowing and changing hands.

Totally too much. My present internet service is ~$85/mo for 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up. I don't want another fee for internet access to entertainment.
Altho I have been known to buy it just for the NFL playoff season :)

Yep, I love the various documentaries, and seems some are commercial free (hopefully remaining that way). I do like supporting some of the more creative content providers even with some commercialization, tho....but far prefer the 5 second option than the forced full thing let alone repetitive unwanted commercials (and telling them so about particular ones that simply are a waste of time for me).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Altho I have been known to buy it just for the NFL playoff season :)
Too funny. I generally do not watch team sports and stick to skiing and snowboarding with some tennis too but when football season comes if I have a football buddy to hang with and drink coolies watching the game it's excellent.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Subscription is worth it to me. I couldn't stand the ads the way they put them in before either.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too funny. I generally do not watch team sports and stick to skiing and snowboarding with some tennis too but when football season comes if I have a football buddy to hang with and drink coolies watching the game it's excellent.
Yeah I'm more into mountain biking and road cycling on the tube primarily, some track & field and snowboarding/skiing.....however still have my NFL habits from being a 20 year season ticket holder for the 49ers during the best of their days (and decline at the end). Still, I do appreciate the execution at that level....altho the costs and salaries these days are a bit much to pay too directly for :) but get most of my fixes by the game summaries available on youtube rather than subscribing to youtube or another service that carries that sort of network coverage.....

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
On this topic:
You can get rid of Youtube ads via the following methods.

iOS/iPadOS's native Youtube App:
Ads in native Youtube App currently can't be blocked by any ad blocker. Youtube Premium ($$) is your only solution if you can't use any other app other than this one.

iOS/iPadOS's Safari:
You must install Safari addon adblockers such as Adguard (free) first. Then go to iOS, settings, safari, extensions, and enable this extension. Then when you open m.youtube.com using Safari, you won't see any ads. The limitation is that this is not a native youtube app, but at least it works.

MacOS or Windows or Linux:
Any adblocking addon with any browser. I recommend uBlock Origin, which exists for all major browsers. But there are plenty of others.

Android TV / Google TV / Nvidia Shield / Android-based TV boxes/ Amazon FireTV
(EXCLUDING Android Smartphones):

Install SmartTubeNext from github.

Android Smartphones:
1. Brave (site) browser. Once you install it, open Brave. Then you can go to m.youtube.com and watch videos without ads.
2. Adguard (site) - Will download from Adguard website, which will install a local VPN server so all of your Android browsers are now protected (excluding Youtube native app).
So again, go to m.youtube.com from any browser and you won't see ads.
Note: this is not the same as the 'Adguard Content Blocker' app you see on Android App store.
3. NewPipe (site) - Will download from github page, which will install a 3rd party youtube app, that you have to open manually, in order to watch videos without ads. The user interface is completely different from the native app.

Apple TV's Youtube Player:
Not possible to block ads.

Will Pi-hole block Youtube ads?
Nope, see methods above.

I hope that helps someone who didn't know about these yet.
Cheers!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I'm more into mountain biking and road cycling on the tube primarily, some track & field and snowboarding/skiing.....however still have my NFL habits from being a 20 year season ticket holder for the 49ers during the best of their days (and decline at the end). Still, I do appreciate the execution at that level....altho the costs and salaries these days are a bit much to pay too directly for :) but get most of my fixes by the game summaries available on youtube rather than subscribing to youtube or another service that carries that sort of network coverage.....
You're apparently a hardcore USA football fan. I don't see the politics c/w managements' contribution in Canadian football. It's more about the game at hand than the background and stuff. But I love USA football for that stuff. It's a way of life for sure.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're apparently a hardcore USA football fan. I don't see the politics c/w managements' contribution in Canadian football. It's more about the game at hand than the background and stuff. But I love USA football for that stuff. It's a way of life for sure.
Oh not nearly as hardcore as some I know, I'm quite mild and on the sidelines in comparison. I just like keeping track of it to an extent and some of the more exciting play makers. CFL I know little about.

Top Bottom