• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Please tell us about your experience or expectations with the Vivaldi browser. Judging by the name, it could be a good browser for classical music lovers. :);)
Or a very trite one -- e.g., only allowing access to warhorse internet sites.

Wouldn't you really be bracing at the bit* to try a browser called Schoenberg, or Webern or (for us Amurricans) Ives?
Actually, I could totally see someone launching the Buxtehude browser. More mainstream, but maybe a little bit hipster.

OP
computer-audiophile

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
However, I have noticed a kind of wild proliferation of browsers. After reading up and playing around a bit today, I'm basically going to stick with Chrome and Firefox. All in all, I like them the best. And there are the right adblocker extensions.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad that uBlock is working again. These ads are just completely un-effing-bearable.

YT has all kinds of unwritten rules for creators about what kind of content is unsuitable for advertisements but then it seems they will take ads from anything as long as it's lacking female nipples or genitalia of either type. YT's standards are at about the level of tiny classified-sized ads from the backs of old magazines. Alt-health scams, perpetual montion machine scams, probably a scam prepper stuff, probably a scam sex chat rooms, scam mobile games, etc, etc. Their targeting is just garbage. A got a few "useful" ads for some hand tools and a cool looking laser engraver.

I could probably put up with them if it was just the usual car, foodstuffs, and ambulance chasing injury attorney ads you get on broadcast TV.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Alt-health scams, perpetual montion machine scams, probably a scam prepper stuff, probably a scam sex chat rooms, scam mobile games, etc, etc.
You are right on this. I am constantly seeing scam ads such as heaters and coolers that save you ton of money, etc. Every time one comes up, I feel sorry for whoever is going to get trapped by them.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Everything it takes to get the videos to you, to keep them available to you, at any time, anywhere, on any device, to comment on them, to share links to them, etc. etc. etc.

I think just the videos, which they may or may not have gotten for free, is too narrow a definition of what it is that YouTube offers and asks your payment for, in whichever form.
That is what I called transportation cost. We provide the content. They move it around. In a fair market, we would get 90% of the ad revenue, they would get the 10%. Current rates are 45% for google and 55% for content creators. This is not remotely the split for example if you sell music online. Content owners get a much larger chuck.

If you mean software development costs on the clients, I am pretty sure there would be plenty of volunteers if Google had published APIs for their service.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You are right on this. I am constantly seeing scam ads such as heaters and coolers that save you ton of money, etc. Every time one comes up, I feel sorry for whoever is going to get trapped by them.
If you think about it, it's paradoxical. Youtube demonizes any content that isn't pink lawns and bunnies, with the excuse that sponsors don't pay for "controversial" content, but then there's no problem putting clearly and obviously fraudulent advertisements in plain sight.
It's a very hypocritical policy

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. I can't remember the last time I saw a proper ad in youtube videos I watch. Every one of them is a diet scam, Solar scam, "tactical hoodie, knife" scam, stupid arcade game, etc. And I am not into any of these, have not searched for them, nor watching a video related to them.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adding on, when i ask Google what it knows about me, it is fairly close to reality. So it must be an issue of inventory that it throws the above garbage at me. They are accepting far more lousy ads than legitimate ones.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you think about it, it's paradoxical. Youtube demonizes any content that isn't pink lawns and bunnies, with the excuse that sponsors don't pay for "controversial" content, but then there's no problem putting clearly and obviously fraudulent advertisements in plain sight.
It's a very hypocritical policy
I think it is back to nothing personal just business. Youtube is covering its liability being picky about content, but there is not much risk in ads of poor taste.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please tell us about your experience or expectations with the Vivaldi browser. Judging by the name, it could be a good browser for classical music lovers. :);)
Vivaldi has some eye candy I'd say. It has some features for grouping tabs which is handy and better thought out than other attempts I've seen. It is chromium based with privacy and ad-block capacity built in. Has a handful of other little features I rather like though nothing transformative for browsing. Works just fine streaming classical music.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like the cost of membership is inflated because they throw in their music service. Why don't they just offer a lower tier to remove ads? Seems like they are leveraging one thing to help the other.

deprogrammed

If you are using Chrome UBlock Origin is key.
Basically don't update Ublock until you have issues. If you do then update your file lists.
A lot of good info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Adblock/comments/17m8anu
This tells you if Ublock is "ahead of the curve"'

All of this could be outdated tomorrow so YMMV.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I acknowledge it here:
ok... As long as you're comfortable acknowledging the prison-assault before it happens to you - that's not delusional...
It's pretty damn weird - however that's another conversation...

But, just exactly how much abuse does it take to (your words)->> "Change my mind"...

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
But, just exactly how much abuse does it take to (your words)->> "Change my mind"...
Well I still think it’s a paid service. The more one has to pay, in whichever way, the clearer this seems to get.

As for the theft, I like the legality arguments put forward by @Mart68 and @JSmith. What remains is the hypocrisy pointed out by @Axo1989.

Lieglein

Imagine a world where you can pay for digital content but do not have do.
I'd like it.
I'd call it donationware. :)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What generally cracks me up about the authorized user thing is every time I sign into a service they want to know what profile I want to use....no option to say hey, it's just me, I don't need no stinking profiles...... or family members riding along etc :) They're almost encouraging you to have multiple sub-accounts (at various locations), rather than try and say hey if you really need this let us know.....the various streaming options are just modern drug dealers generally, tho.

Bassman999

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers - and makes its subscription more expensive.
Pay up or accept interruptions: YouTube is urging customers to stop blocking out commercials. A new price increase does not exactly make the premium subscription more attractive.
What still works for me is uBlock Origin in Chrome and Firefox. My OS is Ubuntu.
There is also an interesting extension called 'Freetube'. But I have not tested that yet.

The battle for a clean screen continues...
I have Youtube premium and Netflix 4k, both went up in price, Netflix 2x within a yr I believe.
No patience for spam, so no FM radio in the last 15 or 20 yrs at all or me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom