• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
computer-audiophile

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Brave is built on Chromium... sure it's faster than Chrome.

Try LibreWolf... a fork of Firefox, without telemetry.

BTW, uBlock is a must nowadays, built-in adblockers are not good enough.
Thanks, I don't want to get bogged down now and have too many alternative browsers on the system. I have a little more confidence in the Brave browser after a short research. LibreWolf, on the other hand, doesn't come off so well. But I'm putting these things on the back burner for now anyway as long as my normal browser + adblocker works well. And it does. I don't see any ads today either. :)

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't object to ads being displayed on Youtube, I just don't pay them any attention. Something has to fund the service and infrastructure required to host Youtube, and that's either going to be advertising or subscription revenues or a combination of both. Since i'm not prepared to pay for a subscription, I can hardly complain that I am shown ads.

In the early 00's, I had a discussion with an advertising executive regarding the skipping of adverts on broadcast TV. I'd been a PVR user since the late 90's (a Phillips TiVo) and informed her that I hadn't watched an advert for years - I always skipped past them. She was absolutely shocked by this and got quite upset. Apparently I was guilty of breaching some kind of un-written contract between myself and the broadcaster. She claimed that I was contractually obliged to watch the adverts whilst watching TV and that not watching the adverts was somehow stealing the TV!

This wasn't the first time I'd witnessed someone's reaction when their worldview was shattered by a new piece of technology and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Youtube ads used to be short. They also wouldn't pop up again if you skipped a bit in a video. But over the years they have introduced so much crap all over the place that watching content without and adblocker is insanity. Nothing is stopping them from useing regular banners or adwords hits. Youtube has created an endless cycle of introducing more ads, pushing more people towards adblocker which in turn causes Youtube to force even more ads on those without an adblocker....which causes more people to use adblockers....

Youtube premium pricing is also insane for a platform that doesn't produce its own content.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Youtube premium pricing is also insane for a platform that doesn't produce its own content.
Canadian ~$13.64 per month for me is reasonable because I use YouTube so much everyday and the reason I can stomach paying it is because the content creators are getting a share of that expense. If it all was going to YouTube I would not pay.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1699031489426.png

If you gotta argue it..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh shoot! Just upgraded Chrome and it is pushing ads despite having ublock active! The video is blank but audio of the ad plays!!! :(
Thus did I switch to Firefox* a couple of weeks ago.
Eff Alphabet and the horse they rode in on. (sorry for being so crass -- they started it! :rolleyes:)

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No... people have the right to filter their online experience as they see fit. The onus is on the provider to lock down their content.

JSmith
exactly... and NOT doing so - lock[ing] down their content - clearly defines the provider's intent and revenue model.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Family subscription for YouTube premium in a third world country (I pay like 3-4€ per month) and have 5 other people in my „family“.

No ads anywhere, YouTube music .

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
£20 a month in the UK for the family plan. Err nope. As others have pointed out - they don't even make any content.

It is taking the mickey when you can pretend to be in Argentina or Turkey (sorry Türkiye) and purchase the same subscription at a fraction of the cost.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Brave is built on Chromium... sure it's faster than Chrome.

Try LibreWolf... a fork of Firefox, without telemetry.

BTW, uBlock is a must nowadays, built-in adblockers are not good enough.
Do I remember correctly that librewolf is no longer being maintained/updated? I've used it in the past. Currently use FF or Brave, but am trying out Vivaldi.

OP
computer-audiophile

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Do I remember correctly that librewolf is no longer being maintained/updated? I've used it in the past. Currently use FF or Brave, but am trying out Vivaldi.
Please tell us about your experience or expectations with the Vivaldi browser. Judging by the name, it could be a good browser for classical music lovers. :);)

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some of you may think YouTube is some niche website because you don't use it, but in reality it's the second most visited website in the world after the Google.com. Third place is far away after those two, with like a quarter of traffic. No wonder they make ads unbearable just to force more subscribers. BTW including ads inside the video is a choice of an author, there's plenty of those who are demonetized or who just include their own ads as a part of a video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom