• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You’re a MiniDisc fan but don’t exactly understand why?

Golf

At least that would be true for me. My cute little Made-in-Japan collection features a Denon DMD-1000 MiniDisc recorder, which I use only seldom, but I love it all the same.

Any folks around here feeling that way too?

DMD-Cinch1.jpg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have a minidisc Walkman with close to fifteen minidisc's that have music dating back to the late 90s. I listen it every once in a while for the nostalgia.

Tatr76

Have denon and sony minidisc players plus Sanyo portable that have picked up a while back. Sony is in music chain. 100 or so minidiscs mainly novelty finds in thrift/charity stores. Also collection from bandcamp as only physical media some artists offer and I know it gives them a little extra. Have good stash of blank discs still in wrappers from when they first hit the market as used to like making mixed discs, for the brief life they had as a thing. Must be honest don't use much but do like to collect stuff that's physical even if not optimal for playback.

MCH

Major Contributor
I used one back in the day to record live shows. It was the only affordable way of digital recording and the only portable alternative to cassettes. It was like a wonder machine.
I have a colleague that still to this day uses a minidisc as his main music listening device :oops:

DonR

Major Contributor
I still have some disks but my players and recorders (mostly Sony) are long gone. For a few precious years MD was my constant companion.

Haflermichi

I understand exactly why I'm a fan of the format.
I read early on of the development of the format vs. DCC. As an avid prior taper I hated the fragility of tape.
MD made life easy, along with high durability.
I never kidded myself about the "Near CD" sound quality and I'm perfectly happy with audio performance in non-critical, casual applications.
As time went on and Sony continued to develop ATRAC it sounded better and better, eventually attaining the non-compressed HiMD algorithm.
I still borrow CD's from my local library and put them on MD. If I get bored with the Material I can re-record on the MD, although I still have dozens of blanks.
The editability of the TOC is extremely handy.
As long as the machinery holds out I continue to use my decks (Sony and Tascam) with pleasure.
It cracks me up to hear criticism of the MD format from ignorant people, some of whom swear by vinyl with all it's mediocre performance limitations (Poor SN ratio, high wow and flutter, low channel separation, surface noise, pops-ticks-scratches, groove wear, cartridge wear, misalignment etc.)
I have recorded many a vinyl record from my Music Hall MMF5 (?) to MD in my time and consider the transfers a vast improvement not in sound but ease of use.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used the Sony MZ-R30 for years and years with a lot of pleasure. It was a fantastic and bulletproof device. Loved the ease of use!

AdrianusG

I understand exactly why I'm a fan of the format.
I read early on of the development of the format vs. DCC. As an avid prior taper I hated the fragility of tape.
MD made life easy, along with high durability.
I never kidded myself about the "Near CD" sound quality and I'm perfectly happy with audio performance in non-critical, casual applications.
As time went on and Sony continued to develop ATRAC it sounded better and better, eventually attaining the non-compressed HiMD algorithm.
I still borrow CD's from my local library and put them on MD. If I get bored with the Material I can re-record on the MD, although I still have dozens of blanks.
The editability of the TOC is extremely handy.
As long as the machinery holds out I continue to use my decks (Sony and Tascam) with pleasure.
It cracks me up to hear criticism of the MD format from ignorant people, some of whom swear by vinyl with all it's mediocre performance limitations (Poor SN ratio, high wow and flutter, low channel separation, surface noise, pops-ticks-scratches, groove wear, cartridge wear, misalignment etc.)
I have recorded many a vinyl record from my Music Hall MMF5 (?) to MD in my time and consider the transfers a vast improvement not in sound but ease of use.
Hi,

Same here, i could have written the exact same text you just did hahaha.

I have a Sony MD deck ....930 (something, the type just before HighMD) it still works flawless, and i also sometimes copy vinyl to it;)

OP
Golf

Golf

With a NetMD MiniDisc recorder, under Windows and using Chrome as your browser, there’s even a possibility now to handle/edit your songs on MD like files. Look for »Web MiniDisc Application« by a certain Stefano Brilli.

Jorge

I've used the Sony MZ-R30 for years and years with a lot of pleasure. It was a fantastic and bulletproof device. Loved the ease of use!
I still have that same model. I used it to record with an external microphone. Usually the results were good, but care with level was needed as it was easy to overload the mic input. My mic was a small Sony m/s, which allowed nice stereo recordings.
The battery of the MD doesn't charge of course, after all these years, so I use it with an adapter.

OP
Golf

Golf

Bought this MiniDisc a while ago. Amazing to have (then) still folks around producing and publishing new MDs.

MD-Release.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've got several MD players/recorders in my collection and a stack of NOS MDs. Never really interested me as I was into DAT. The first ATRAC encoders were truly horrible- as bad as low bit rate MP3 and only at the very end of the format did an uncompressed version appear. By then it was too late.

Haflermichi

That is a cool looking MD! I wonder how they printed on the shell like that...?
Another aspect I love about MD is the in-machine editability. Like splitting tracks and being able to "trim" the cut point by fractions of a second. In this mode, the machine rehearses the split in a loop while you adjust with the knob until you're satisfied with the cut point. Then you simply press Yes, or on my Tascam you press the same knob in to accept the point.
It just seemed to me to be very easy to learn that it became intuitive and actually enjoyable.
All without having to use a computer or software.

OP
Golf

Golf

OK, this is some sort of a milestone – at least in my experience ...

Here is a way to digitally transfer from MiniDisc to PC, as long as a NetMD device is the source:

Top Bottom