• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yet another Revel F206 thread

OP
typericey

typericey

sonically well designed but ugly and made in China? I only buy from democracies. Your mileage may vary. My son thinks I am nuts paying 500 bucks for American made flatware when you can buy Chinese flatware for under 80 bucks. i apply this personal philosophy to every purchase if possible. But even without consideration of the global socioeconomic Cold War, they are just not to my aesthetic liking. The new revel subwoofer coming out soon may cause me to eat my words. It is beautiful.

They are made in Indonesia. No clue on their type of government though.

Have you seen them in person? I also used to think that they are ugly but now I feel otherwise. No it is not confirmation bias, I've had lots of buyer's remorse experiences in the past and this definitely isn't one of them. The piano black wasn't my first choice and now I think it looks really good. Removing all the plastic really helped reveal the beauty of these speakers. But as they say, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Btw, welcome to ASR.

Sugarbubble

They are made in Indonesia. No clue on their type of government though.

Have you seen them in person? I also used to think that they are ugly but now I feel otherwise. No it is not confirmation bias, I've had lots of buyer's remorse experiences in the past and this definitely isn't one of them. The piano black wasn't my first choice and now I think it looks really good. Removing all the plastic really helped reveal the beauty of these speakers. But as they say, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Btw, welcome to ASR.
Thanks for the welcome. My information must be outdated. I got it from an interview with an executive from Revel who claimed they were made in China for cost considerations. moving to Indonesia is similar to apples plan to move iPhone production out of China. i have seen them (revel) and listened to them. I like the sound just fine, but I hate the look of the driver array. I prefer a more classic look like SF, Spendor, and Dynaudio. I respect the decision of folks who buy them, and am interested in the new walnut finished subwoofer that should be released in the next month or so.

New member... for what it’s worth, a few years ago I auditioned both F208 and F206 at a hifi dealer (same room, right after each other).

I remember my impressions when switching from 208 to 206:
* Less authorithy, ”smaller” sound with loss of deep bass.
* More uniform sound, speakers ”disappeared”.

I assume that the room was far from acoustically perfect, and I probably sat to close to the speakers.

I also auditioned the 208’s a couple more times, at different dealers, and I liked the clarity in the sound, although I wasn’t tappning my foot, so to say.

In the end, I decided to go for the clear, neutral sound of Revel. I figured that it would be a perfect ”baseline”. Since I am using the same setup for cinema and 2 channel listening, the idea is that my av prepro can put its character on the sound profile, and I can also color the music with a suitable preamp if I want to (or retain the fidelity by using a neutral one).

I ended up buying the 206’s, mostly because of finish options (love the look of 206 in white) and price. (If F208 and C208 would come in white, I would probably upgrade in a second.)

I pair the 206’s with a couple of Rythmiks, and am exceedingly happy with them. The sound in my home (open plan, high ceiling living room) is far better than any Revel that I auditioned at hifi dealers.

However, I sometimes think that the center channel (C205) could be upgraded with regards to dynamics and authority. But since I need white speakers, I would have to go for the C426be, which cost a pretty penny.

In conclusion: Very happy with 206 plus subs.

Last edited:

Sluraad

Took delivery of a pair of F206 in piano black that I got for a great deal off audiogon. They were low hours use and still had their plastic wrap on!
Pictures do not do the beauty of the piano black finish justice, they look friggin gorgeous!

Tomorrow I'm gonna mess around with port plugs, positioning and my UMIK1. My initial placement and audyssey calibration showed some major bass reinforcement on the one closest to the corner, and I've got them about as far forward as they are going to be able to work and they are a mere 9" from the wall behind them. My home theater setup is in the general TV room and its not a perfect listening room, its in the middle of the house by the kitchen and two hallways coming off it.

Now I need to get the C205 match things up, and maybe an amp to give these bad boys a bit more power.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Took delivery of a pair of F206 in piano black that I got for a great deal off audiogon. They were low hours use and still had their plastic wrap on!
Pictures do not do the beauty of the piano black finish justice, they look friggin gorgeous!

Tomorrow I'm gonna mess around with port plugs, positioning and my UMIK1. My initial placement and audyssey calibration showed some major bass reinforcement on the one closest to the corner, and I've got them about as far forward as they are going to be able to work and they are a mere 9" from the wall behind them. My home theater setup is in the general TV room and its not a perfect listening room, its in the middle of the house by the kitchen and two hallways coming off it.

Now I need to get the C205 match things up, and maybe an amp to give these bad boys a bit more power.
Thoughts so far?

Sluraad

Thoughts so far?
Love it! So clear and smooth, it really renders the audio effortlessly and has really good integration in the components. Outstanding staging and depth, the phantom center it delivers is pretty outstanding.
I've got it cross over at 80hz to my SVS 1000 Pro, which I worked with UMIK and the PEQ to cover a very even 20-120hz. After that it integrated beautifully with Audyssey which I've changed the Room EQ Curve to be 700hz and under. The result is a very full range, transparent sound that just sings and I totally love it.
I just ordered the C205 the other day, should have it in a few days, I look forward to giving it a run around.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ahh, so you are the one who bought those. I reached out too, but was too slow.

Sluraad

Ahh, so you are the one who bought those. I reached out too, but was too slow.
I’d already been searching for weeks so I *jumped* lol. Really happy I decided to step up to the Performa3, my wife even thinks they were a good pickup (after living with them for a little bit)

Sluraad

LightninBoy

There’s another set on USAM also in piano black

FYI - thanks to you I discovered USAM and another sweet deal on a set of F208s and C208. Picked them up a couple days ago.

htroom.jpg

Sluraad

FYI - thanks to you I discovered USAM and another sweet deal on a set of F208s and C208. Picked them up a couple days ago.

View attachment 142706
Very nice! Damn, now my F206/C205 setup looks pretty dinky lol. All that free space around the speakers for optimal audio experience, I'm definitely jelly of that! I've got my stuff crammed together definitely suboptimal but it still sounds fantastic.

LightninBoy

Very nice! Damn, now my F206/C205 setup looks pretty dinky lol. All that free space around the speakers for optimal audio experience, I'm definitely jelly of that! I've got my stuff crammed together definitely suboptimal but it still sounds fantastic.

Well, keep in mind that my configuration requires very long speaker cable runs, so that's suboptimal as well.

hdkeith

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but wanted to get some updated feedback.

The Revel F206 is on my short list along with Chora 826, Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and Martin Logan 60XTi. I am bleary eyed from reading and watching reviews on each. I have Klipsch RP-280F/RC62ii. Room is 18x14.5x8 feet. I want accurate and articulate with good imaging, and sound stage. I do music (hi-rep, DSD, and movies and have been known to push to 100db. Have a Denon X7200WA, but for now front stage is driven by BasX A3 (140w/ch), and will be upgrading amp to at least 200w/ch soon.

I am going to audition the MA Silver 500 7G and Focal to,orrow, and looking for someplace to hopefully hear the others.

Any F206/C205 owners want to say how their experience has been so far? Any regrets?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My F206 experience was great until I upgraded to Salon2's. ;) Now my boys each have a pair and love them, major step up from the older speakers they had. I still have a pair of F206's upstairs in the family room with a C205. The C205 is "ok" but I prefer the C208.

There are very active threads on AVS if you care to wade through them. I have insignificant experience with Focal, it did not stand out in my mind (good or bad), and have not heard of Chora. I've only heard Martin Logan ESLs. The Monitor Audio speakers I heard were very good, though I would pick Revel based on the data I have (not enough listening to MA). I would pick either over Klipsch Ref for better midrange integration. I think @Kal Rubinson had/has Monitor Audio speakers (though they may be the ones he replaced with Revel Studio2, not sure). Check his reviews in Stereophile.

HTH - Don

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Revel F206 is on my short list along with Chora 826, Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and Martin Logan 60XTi. I am bleary eyed from reading and watching reviews on each. I have Klipsch RP-280F/RC62ii. Room is 18x14.5x8 feet. I want accurate and articulate with good imaging, and sound stage. I do music (hi-rep, DSD, and movies and have been known to push to 100db. Have a Denon X7200WA, but for now front stage is driven by BasX A3 (140w/ch
IMO those Revels are in a different league. The MA Silvers are probably good. Both should be noticeably better than the ML's and Klipsch's.

Focal is good but you're comparing the wrong line.

Top Bottom