• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yet another Revel F206 thread

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think @Kal Rubinson had/has Monitor Audio speakers (though they may be the ones he replaced with Revel Studio2, not sure). Check his reviews in Stereophile.
Nope. The MA Silvers are in another house. The Revel system has 3 Studios up front and a pair of f206 for surrounds. See my review of the Marantz 40n for comments about the f206 as main speakers.

hdkeith

I need to find a place to hear the Revels. I just came back from listening to Focal Chora 826, Aria 936 and then Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and Gold 300 and am dying to hear the F208s.

For the Focals, started with 826 and at first they sounded great, but of course the guy helping said “hold on I hear a shrill and want to see if it is the recoding or the speaker” and switched to the 936s right next to the i26. Felt like I was at a car dealership :rolleyes:. So the 826 was extremely clean and articulate with amazing imaging and sound stage. The 936 had so much more bottom end and the tweeter was smother and much more laid back. The bottom end of the 936s though seems a bit boomy. At first I thought the high end just was gone after listening to the 826. As I was talking to the person about how the 936 had so much better bottom and a smooth yet maybe too laid back high end he suggested we listen to the Monitor Audios. He told me what to,expect from the Golds, that the boots and top end would be better. Sure as heck the Gold 300 was clean tight silky smooth bass. Listened for a bit and moved to the Silver 700 7G. The high end got a little harsher, but the bass was almost as clean and tight as the Gold. Where the gap between the Focal 826 and 936 was extremely dramatic the differences between the Gold 300 and the Silver 500 was far less dramatic.

I may go back next week as he had Gold 200 and said he could get everything set up next to each other.

Part of me want to just gamble on the F208s from Crutchfield knowing I could send them back. My problems with the F208 is the monster center I just have no space for it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I need to find a place to hear the Revels. I just came back from listening to Focal Chora 826, Aria 936 and then Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and Gold 300 and am dying to hear the F208s.

For the Focals, started with 826 and at first they sounded great, but of course the guy helping said “hold on I hear a shrill and want to see if it is the recoding or the speaker” and switched to the 936s right next to the i26. Felt like I was at a car dealership :rolleyes:. So the 826 was extremely clean and articulate with amazing imaging and sound stage. The 936 had so much more bottom end and the tweeter was smother and much more laid back. The bottom end of the 936s though seems a bit boomy. At first I thought the high end just was gone after listening to the 826. As I was talking to the person about how the 936 had so much better bottom and a smooth yet maybe too laid back high end he suggested we listen to the Monitor Audios. He told me what to,expect from the Golds, that the boots and top end would be better. Sure as heck the Gold 300 was clean tight silky smooth bass. Listened for a bit and moved to the Silver 700 7G. The high end got a little harsher, but the bass was almost as clean and tight as the Gold. Where the gap between the Focal 826 and 936 was extremely dramatic the differences between the Gold 300 and the Silver 500 was far less dramatic.

I may go back next week as he had Gold 200 and said he could get everything set up next to each other.

Part of me want to just gamble on the F208s from Crutchfield knowing I could send them back. My problems with the F208 is the monster center I just have no space for it.
You need to find a local Revel dealer. Crutchfield charges full MSRP; dealers negotiate deep discounts. I got my F206 pair 25% off with a free center at Starpower in Dallas.

hdkeith

Yeah The list of local dealers I need to call, not sure any of them have a decent showroom.

hdkeith

Emailed to the only 2 dealers in my area to see if they have them, a showroom and pricing. Right now the Monitor Audio gold 200 would be my pick if when I hear it, if the sounds is just like 300 just less digging deep, which is fine as I use my sub for 2 channel. Also though the Gold 300 I could get away without the sub for music.

Actungz

Someone was selling a pair of F206’s for $800 locally last night. Really wish I picked a better day to sleep early lol.

I’m second in line but I doubt the person before me will pass them up after seeing them in person

Lsc

Someone was selling a pair of F206’s for $800 locally last night. Really wish I picked a better day to sleep early lol.

I’m second in line but I doubt the person before me will pass them up after seeing them in person
What a deal!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Offer him $1000 :p

OP
typericey

typericey

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but wanted to get some updated feedback.

The Revel F206 is on my short list along with Chora 826, Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G and Martin Logan 60XTi. I am bleary eyed from reading and watching reviews on each. I have Klipsch RP-280F/RC62ii. Room is 18x14.5x8 feet. I want accurate and articulate with good imaging, and sound stage. I do music (hi-rep, DSD, and movies and have been known to push to 100db. Have a Denon X7200WA, but for now front stage is driven by BasX A3 (140w/ch), and will be upgrading amp to at least 200w/ch soon.

I am going to audition the MA Silver 500 7G and Focal to,orrow, and looking for someplace to hopefully hear the others.

Any F206/C205 owners want to say how their experience has been so far? Any regrets?

After 1.5 years of ownership still content and no plans of replacing them. They're my goldilocks speakers in terms of size, sound, and price.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For some reason it's really hard for Google to find the review.
Because it is in print only at this time.
Anyway, that Marantz looks really nice, but I would have thought they could put more than 2x100W into 4Ω for that price. 2x200W and we'll talk.
I thought so, too, but it was not a significant limitation with the f206, imho.

The songs that the 206's couldn't play so loud, I did give them a try but not all the way through, not too sure the low bass content, but I'm wondering if you think things would have been improved if you plugged the ports and kept the same output level via eq, with that 40hz crossover setting

The port output I think is centered about 40hz, running such speakers full range, if I listen to plenty of modern music with plenty of bass, how much do I have to worry that sub 40hz content is causing a lot of distortion? I suppose this depends on the like q of port operation? ...I guess the answer also depends on the highest db's one tends to listen at

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The songs that the 206's couldn't play so loud, I did give them a try but not all the way through, not too sure the low bass content, but I'm wondering if you think things would have been improved if you plugged the ports and kept the same output level via eq, with that 40hz crossover setting
I don't see how. I think the clean bass bass is fooling your ears. Revel clean bass doesn't seem as loud.

I didn't write that clearly lol, I was referencing what he mentioned in this review, he was saying that playing some classical music I was having problems tolerating the speaks "couldn't move enough air," this crossed over at 40hz

Top Bottom