• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha cx-2 preamp has less noise than my 3 out board phono preamps?

basko93

Hello, so i have no issues with my Mani, Nad or musical fidelity v90-lps but noticed something. I have three turntables and change things up every once and awhile and decided to record one of my expensive tool albums to Dat tape, also my cassette player. Now say what you will, my Denon dat machine through my outboard is dac is like a carbon copy of my LP, no other format i have used compares, don't care for sending it to my computer. Anyway, without dropping the needle and hitting record pause, I hear white noise, if i bring it up to proper recording level it is bad. Never hear this just playing the records normally. Now if I go through my phono stage on my Yamaha cx-2 it is waaay quieter and it has higher gain! The Yamaha has always just sounded better to me, but I realize it does seem to be a perfect match for my Lomc Denons and even my Homc denon, the gain numbers seem to be perfect or closer than my out-board preamps. I have changed cables, mostly use Mogami stuff, the type most people recommend. My speakers are Crites modified Klipsch Chorus II and love them, i am aware that their sensitivity can amplify the issue but again my Yamaha is way quieter. The Yamaha is the only one to where i can get my recording levels to zero on either recorder. What am i missing here, i am ready to toss my out boards and look for something else. Issue is I like to run my three players and i do need to be able to match my cartridge's, wish my Yamaha had more phono inputs! Before i do anything, is this normal?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, in part because that era was focused on high performance phone playback. If you look at the cartridge database thread, the Shure V15 Type V is still unmatched for linearity.

I have a Kenwood L-08c which also has a premium phono equalizer which beats just about anything out there.

All that said, I end up using the Luxman LXV-OT10 with its high distortion and upgraded op amps to control noise.

@restorer-john may be able to comment on this specific Yamaha model…

OP
B

basko93

Yes, in part because that era was focused on high performance phone playback. If you look at the cartridge database thread, the Shure V15 Type V is still unmatched for linearity.

I have a Kenwood L-08c which also has a premium phono equalizer which beats just about anything out there.

All that said, I end up using the Luxman LXV-OT10 with its high distortion and upgraded op amps to control noise.

@restorer-john may be able to comment on this specific Yamaha model…

OP
B

basko93

Ya, so far it appears so. Never noticed it till i decided to hit that record button.

Top Bottom