• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of Gustard A18 DAC

jae

Major Contributor
Only common use for toslink these days are TVs and older game consoles, and most people use fancy AV receivers for those or just HDMI. Better to use coaxial S/PDIF over toslink anyway if it's available in practically all cases.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any chance for a SINAD vs level graph? To see the optimal level ;)
THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Only common use for toslink these days are TVs and older game consoles, and most people use fancy AV receivers for those or just HDMI. Better to use coaxial S/PDIF over toslink anyway if it's available in practically all cases.

Older game consoles? The PS4 Pro (latest) has optical.

Also coaxial is what's actually missing on consoles, PC's, and whatever else (I don't think I have a single coaxial device tbh). And they have been measured to sometimes perform far worse in some of the devices here.

Scottwhit

I know right, most TVs only have an optical out. So where are we supposed to plug our TVs into?

Max

Forum Donor
Good to see another measurement, Wolf, thanks !

Max

Forum Donor
I use the default settings for linearity measurement. Amir's settings are more accurate, but I think my settings are more "general"

I noticed few times that Amir's measurement of linearity seemed cleaner. Thanks for the explanation :)

BobPM

I know right, most TVs only have an optical out. So where are we supposed to plug our TVs into?

Sounds like a job for the SPDIF ipurifier from ifi. It will convert the toslink to coax, or vice versa. Reclocking/regenerating along the way.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can I ask - confusion for who? Why was it a problem? You guys have made this forum wonderfully open, would be great to see the work done here acknowledged. I would also love to see the numbers in the review charts like the DAC comparison one.
Thanks
People in the other forums. They saw his early measurements, and then went on a rant about me and hence the results being useless. :) I also got manufacturer questions asking me about them. Since I did not make the measurements, it put me in a difficult spot to explain.

Good news is that if you search for these products, Google sends you to Wolf's threads here so no issue with people finding it.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People in the other forums. They saw his early measurements, and then went on a rant about me and hence the results being useless. :) I also got manufacturer questions asking me about them. Since I did not make the measurements, it put me in a difficult spot to explain.

Good news is that if you search for these products, Google sends you to Wolf's threads here so no issue with people finding it.

Lol, if they cant differentiate amir from wolf, how can they interpret the data!. Thanks for clarifying. Love reading the reviews, the more the better.

frankb

I just received the GUSTARD DAC-A18. First impressions are positive. It's heavier than I anticipated (2 kg). It's warm to the touch after playing for 1 or 2 hrs. The jog shuttle is nice, with pleasant muted clicks. The display shows volume db as a whole integer, and the jog shuttle changes in 1/2 db. The feet are knurled. They would make nice volume knobs. Fast delivery from shenzhenaudio: 5 days to Ontario Canada. Here's a potato photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_180905869.png
    IMG_20200616_180905869.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 671

frankb

Is the wheel metal or plastic?
Plastic. It's almost flush with the surface, and not wobbly. It doesn't feel cheap. It's implemented well. Of course, the remote does everything the jog shuttle does. I just noticed the volume on the remote moves in 1 db increments, while the jog shuttle is finer grained requiring two clicks per db.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Does the A18 have a volume bypass "dac only" mode?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a feeling that Gustard is now price competing with Topping. the X-26 is "sold out" at Shenzen and X-22 seems to replace it. Does Gustard have a web site ?

james_0075

No, up to day, Gustard is the only one manufacturer among Chinese Table Hi Fi manufactuers, such as Topping, SMSL and other, who has no its website. If you want to know some of its products, could go to Apos, or Taobao. The problem is - you will feel hopeless due to all inquires to Taobao never got prompt response, this is very weird, compare to other sellers, they almost reply all questions in minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. But most interest thing is - Gustard do has quite a lot loyal customer to follow up. They talk to the owner for all of their suggestions, then, he will make new products plan based upon their common. P26 is such a typical product. So teh owner Mr. Huang, looks like an audiophile rather than a businessman.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, up to day, Gustard is the only one manufacturer among Chinese Table Hi Fi manufactuers, such as Topping, SMSL and other, who has no its website. If you want to know some of its products, could go to Apos, or Taobao. The problem is - you will feel hopeless due to all inquires to Taobao never got prompt response, this is very weird, compare to other sellers, they almost reply all questions in minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. But most interest thing is - Gustard do has quite a lot loyal customer to follow up. They talk to the owner for all of their suggestions, then, he will make new products plan based upon their common. P26 is such a typical product. So teh owner Mr. Huang, looks like an audiophile rather than a businessman.
Thank you for the detailed answer James.
Having no web site or direct contact (or hidden ?) is a bit unusual for a new candidate to Chifi. I'm hesitating between D90 & A22 and have a preference for the A22 though. But how about the updates ? Will I geth these via the vendors ? Each one vedor having his own link ? It's rather weird for me. As you said, Topping is responsive.
BTW I like the soncoz sgd1 too, if only it had a digital panel ... I think it's mandatory nowadays.

Top Bottom