• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

JRS

Major Contributor
I likely would have used Spotify hifi due to the library, ai and Spotify connect and ended my qobuz subscription. It looks like I’m sticking with qobuz now. The qobuz recommendations are just okay, i quite like the magazine style approach they take with the iOS apps. The snag for me is that qobuz integration with streamers sucks. I was using a upnp client to moode but like every option I have tried this can’t access detailed menus in qobuz. Because of this I use roon to get an acceptable interface. Roon is great, but I’m stunned that they went to the trouble of building their own custom ui framework and failed to fully implement all features in the iOS apps or have a Linux desktop client. It sucks to have to use a windows pc or Mac just to upload a convolution filter. Anyway, this is the state of streaming. Spotify hifi would annihilate the competition, but in its absence mediocrity is safe for now.

Edit: removed ‘overpriced’. Streaming is far too cheap really.
It really is kind of ridiculous when I stop to consider what chunk of my discretionary income used to go to albums, which in number probably reached a couple of hundred total, 40 of which I played frequently. And from another thread, thinking about the 1500 I laid out for a decent system in 1972, that 1500 would be closer to 9K now, and oh to be 18 with 9k to spend on gear today.
Another thought that 10 bucks a month I used to pay for Spotify would buy me one 45 single back in the day. I can't even begin to imagine buying a single song on MP3 for 10 cents.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a bad argument because it's a non sequitur. If one device is more "revealing" than another (whatever that means), it does not automatically follow that one of these devices will make it possible for you to detect the difference between FLAC and 320 kBit OGG.
Making a unsubstaniated comment is one thing but then continuing an argument is another(refering to Dos). Save your(Voodoless) energy for others who want to learn, most on the forum are aware of your experience and expertise. Arguing with amatuers is not worth it, there should be some type of monitoring from staff.

I am all for an opinion, I have made many throughout my time at ASR due to my hate for cheap equipment(emotions run wild its normal) that has been marketed strongly rather than built for quality but my opinions have always been open to interpretation and an attempt to understand more about my take on the equipment which is essentially what it is, a potential misunderstanding or bias or possibly something simple that I could have been right about. To argue an opinion based on clueless facts and without blind testing is not right in my book, at the very least it should be handled with humility and some evidence.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
most on the forum are aware of your experience and expertise. Arguing with amatuers is not worth it, there should be some type of monitoring from staff.
I’m just another amateur as well. I never made a single coin of money doing audio related stuff. But I try to make a proper argument. I just really dislike bad arguments. It doesn’t even matter if I agree with the conclusion. The path to it is where the knowledge is to be gained. If we leave these unchallenged, people will not get that they are bad arguments and will never learn. The forum has a perfectly fine system for monitoring: it’s us.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'll see if Belker, who is sometimes here at ASR, feels like explaining his tests between different streaming providers. He compared raw data files Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer against known originals. He used Delta Wave Null Comparator for that. However, do not know if he performed any blind tests.

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-07_09-22-44.png
    shot_2022-01-07_09-22-44.png
    412.8 KB · Views: 105

Phoney

I’m just another amateur as well. I never made a single coin of money doing audio related stuff. But I try to make a proper argument. I just really dislike bad arguments. It doesn’t even matter if I agree with the conclusion. The path to it is where the knowledge is to be gained. If we leave these unchallenged, people will not get that they are bad arguments and will never learn. The forum has a perfectly fine system for monitoring: it’s us.
I don't mind being corrected. That's why I take part in discussions, because maybe I'll learn something. But at first you, instead of correcting me, just quoted a tiny part of my post and wrote "Classic" because I used an overused sentence (which has been typically overused in other contexts than this one). How am I supposed to learn anything from that comment then? How does a reply like that contribute to any good discussion?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind being corrected. That's why I take part in discussions, because maybe I'll learn something. But at first you, instead of correcting me, just quoted a tiny part of my post and wrote "Classic" because I used an overused sentence (which has been typically overused in other contexts than this one). How am I supposed to learn anything from that comment then? How does a reply like that contribute to any good discussion?
Well, nobody is perfect :) "Classic" is what that argument was, so from my point of view a fitting response (and looking at the likes, others thought so as well). I can imagine that for you, that might not be the case. It's also about how much time I have at that particular moment to spend on the response and my general mood. Sometimes I like to trigger a bit as well, seeing if people themselves start to think about the argument. Oh, and I'm a sarcastic piece of Sh*t ;) . It's a strange mix of all of these things I guess :facepalm:. But in the end, we did figure it out, so no harm was done (hopefully).

tuga

Major Contributor
We have a Spotify family account because that's what kids like and use.

I find the quality good enough for pop/rock and even jazz, but sometimes the best mastering version is not available and that makes a huge difference. My approach to classical music is more focused and I find that uncompressed files streamed locally have an edge.

On the other hand I dislike the desktop browser, and the playlist system.

Years ago I participated in the Philips Golden Ear Challenge and over cheap headphones and laptop output I struggle to pass the blind comparison between 320kb/s and 1,411kb/s...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks; have a nice day :D
Hold on, not so fast o_O!
Let's say I won't start using Spotify. Actually I don't and don't intent to start using any music streaming services. If I were to change mind I'd first check out Qobuz.
You can't get away with this without actually telling us why :)

@DanielT We seem to be missing another option: I don't use Spotify, and don't plan to.

Phoney

Well, nobody is perfect :) "Classic" is what that argument was, so from my point of view a fitting response (and looking at the likes, others thought so as well). I can imagine that for you, that might not be the case. It's also about how much time I have at that particular moment to spend on the response and my general mood. Sometimes I like to trigger a bit as well, seeing if people themselves start to think about the argument. Oh, and I'm a sarcastic piece of Sh*t ;) . It's a strange mix of all of these things I guess :facepalm:. But in the end, we did figure it out, so no harm was done (hopefully).
For sure. I use Qobuz just for the lossless but I might try to go back to Spotify if there's close to no audible difference because it's better in many other ways. For information I currently own Hifiman Arya v2 and Denon AH-D7200. I found an interesting video on the topic.

Here is the listening test that they use

https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...ll-can-you-hear-audio-quality?t=1641563981325

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hold on, not so fast o_O!

You can't get away with this without actually telling us why :)

@DanielT We seem to be missing another option: I don't use Spotify, and don't plan to.
It is not possible to change to old posts. Otherwise I would have added:

* I do not use Spotify, and do not plan to.(start, or something like that).:)

* I do not have any music streaming services and do not plan to.

Belker

I'll see if Belker, who is sometimes here at ASR, feels like explaining his tests between different streaming providers. He compared raw data files Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer against known originals. He used Delta Wave Null Comparator for that. However, do not know if he performed any blind tests.
Sure! No, I didn’t do any blind testing, since the purpose of my test was to compare lossless Redbook delivery from some services available to me. Are they tampering with EQ, levels, compression or something? People had (still have?) strong opinions on which service sounds better… “use your ears!” “Your system is not resolving (read: expensive) enough!”, and so on. You know the arguments. At the time for this test I had Spotify lossless on trial. They seem to have abandoned that now. Also, Amazon and Apple wasn’t available. After verifying that my method for data harvesting was working (by comparing data from my own CDs) I just picked some sample tracks that seemed to be the same master. All samples were identical, verified with DeltaWave. Here is a quick translation I posted in another thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...quality-differences.29450/page-4#post-1031523

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Information from Spotify, see # 379

Attachments

• 20220108_154830504.jpeg
    20220108_154830504.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 77

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Nope.
I prefer Spotify.
Used Tidal for years and ended up dropping it for Spotify.
The whole loss-less streaming thing is a bit much for me anyway. I don't think I have lost one bit of personally experienced fidelity since I dropped Tidal.
Yah, mentally it is nice "know" the whole CD or master is presented but actually hearing the difference in a meaningful way... hmmm.

Belker

Information from Spotify, see # 379

That’s great. Not sure I will pay extra for that, though. Spotify’s algos are second to none, so I use it to find new music, but it will probably never integrate with my Roon anytime soon.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That’s great. Not sure I will pay extra for that, though. Spotify’s algos are second to none, so I use it to find new music, but it will probably never integrate with my Roon anytime soon.
Well, but, ..hm Spotify and Roon, no I'm not speculating. But given the changes that took place with Apple and Amazon Music 2021, a lot of unexpected things can happen in 2022. Even with Spotify.

Okay now I was speculating anyway.:D

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-08_17-27-09.png
    shot_2022-01-08_17-27-09.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 55

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I use both Spotify and Tidal and the AI of Spotify finding new songs based on my taste is unmatched
I have used Spotify, Tidal and Youtube music. You might like YT music even better.

My own experience has been that after 2 years of Spotify, the suggested new songs were about 40 to 50% my taste. After using Youtube music for 3 months the suggested new songs were 70 to 80 percent correct. Its now in the 80 to 90% ballpark after 6 months.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Still on Spotify family plan for now, but I am pretty annoyed at the vaporware. Currently on a 2 month almost free trial of Tidal. May keep that going for a month or two and double-pay to see if there is any change with Spotify. My younger son and wife use Spotify, and they would push back against a permanent change to Tidal, so... I have the hifi tier with Tidal and it sounds good, no breakup in stream like I was getting with Amazon HD last year. So I voted "I don't know" in the poll. I think Spotify should figure this out and do something, at least make an interim announcement. Their saying NOTHING after the big woo last February leaves me with a really bad taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom