• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AFAIK FLAC delivers bit perfect lossless CD quality or higher. Maybe you should study some more into the FLAC format...
Me by you should study more about WavPack especially in hybrid mode with correction (losseles part) log (file). It helps with DSD packaging and compressing too but you will be surprised that you can get up to 3x compression compared to flac on 96 KHz 24 bit PCM lossy while not being able to recognise the difference and reconvert it back losseles with log correction file.
Neither of streaming services ever even considered such approach either and it would work both ways (less bandwidth, higher quality and possibly of full losseles [21 bit DR] with additional download of log file).

Nicolaas

Me by you should study more about WavPack especially in hybrid mode with correction (losseles part) log (file). It helps with DSD packaging and compressing too but you will be surprised that you can get up to 3x compression compared to flac on 96 KHz 24 bit PCM lossy while not being able to recognise the difference and reconvert it back losseles with log correction file.
Neither of streaming services ever even considered such approach either and it would work both ways (less bandwidth, higher quality and possibly of full losseles [21 bit DR] with additional download of log file).
Thanks for that but I'm not interested that much in 24bit-96kHz high res PCM or DSD. I do have quite some 24b 96k FLAC files and I think it's not worth it.
16b-44.1k PCM seems a perfectly right choice regarding signal to noise ratio and bandwidth. Maybe with cheap storage and bandwidth these days (and cheap SOTA DACs) 24b-48k PCM would be the perfect optimum...

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Nicolaas what I meant to say is that compression ratio achievable with 96KHz 24 bit PCM in WavPack hybrid lossy compared to flac is up to 3x (making it even lower than standard CD quality flac regarding bitrate) with 44100 Hz 24 bit it's difference in comparison ratio would be much lower (than you can't hear the difference) but still significant enough if you are a streaming on demand service provider.
Hell no! 95% ever digitalised music who's done so in 44100 Hz and converting it to 48 KHz would brake it (for me it's linear up and down or no at all). So we must have at least two (actually three as long as FM 16/32 KHz [wide band] still lives) and it doesn't really hurt if you can go higher if it doesn't really cost you much disregarding both that you won't be able to hear it (even over the wide band 16 KHz per channel for most folks) and that there is so little there even if you could (that's why difference is so small when compressed).

Last edited:

Nicolaas

@Nicolaas what I meant to say is that compression ratio achievable with 96KHz 24 bit PCM in WavPack hybrid lossy compared to flac is up to 3x (making it even lower than standard CD quality flac regarding bitrate) with 44100 Hz 24 bit it's difference in comparison ratio would be much lower (than you can't hear the difference) but still significant enough if you are a streaming on demand service provider.
Hell no! 95% ever digitalised music who's done so in in 44100 Hz and converting it to 48 KHz would brake it (for me it's linear up and down or no at all). So we must have at least two (actually three as long as FM 16/32 KHz [wide band] still lives) and it doesn't really hurt if you can go higher if it doesn't really cost you much disregarding both that you won't be able to hear it (even over the wide band 16 KHz per channel for most folks) and that there is so little there even if you could (that's why difference is so small when compressed).
I agree, I didn't mean we should convert all existing 44.1 kHz music to 48 kHz PCM music! That would break it for me too. I meant 24b-48k PCM music could be the perfect optimum for newly recorded music but I admit this also is a bit arbitrary. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker so I'm struggling!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Nicolaas don't worry neither am I (native speaker). I just wanted to tell you how we could have it all lossy and that you couldn't hear or point at the difference and that it wouldn't be destructive (that you can get a bit perfect masters back reconstruct with a log correction file and main lossy one) which is a major flow of all traditional lossy formats as such (including and most advanced new ones).
Best regards and have a nice day.

BN1

think Spotify, via that moderator, is testing what the response will be. There are market researchers on Spotify and they are analyzing it. They will probably state that: Nothing happened. Some Hifi nerds on various Hifi forums chew a little froth, nothing to worry about.

After that, Spotify shuts down its lossless rollout. It does not affect their position in the market. Note a speculative and somewhat conspiratorial guess on my part.:)
Their only lossless "rollout" was at a premium price. Spotify marketing will continue to "dangle" lossless as a come-on, at least until they see their market share being impacted.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
There are other things to consider. Good thread. Different points of view:

Edit:
Though. Thread locked.

Please do not comment on that decision , Thread locked, in this thread, in that case go to the section: Forum Suggestions and Announcements
And start a new thread there.

Edit 2:

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-27_15-16-43.png
    shot_2022-01-27_15-16-43.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
My account vanished a few years ago for some no good reason, so I won't even try to go back. I also think they are ripping off tons of musicians..
(also, nobody merely talking is worth 100 million USD. No one)

Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Daniel
Thanks for your Post168 heads up. BDWoody has pm'd me with the reason for the closure.
At the mo' am considering which service to use as a replacement for Spotify.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I would hope to find the nearest to Spotify catalogue size, single alternative. Oh, it does have to work via Sonos!

RC231

Recent actions have me considering migrating away from spotify. I have a pair of denon recievers that I use via spotify connect for living room/kitchen and family room in my house. Can I replicate that functionality with Apple music or do I need to have it running through an iphone/ipad then airplay to the receiver?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never listened to his music even when he was part of CSN&Y.
Then, he had a tiff about music IPs over a decade ago and I had incorporated him into the "Hooligan B*st*rds category, way back then.
He is one of my persona (or music) non-grata.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You never listened to his music?
Plenty of Fish in that pond.
We actually left a Pocono music-festival when they were the closing band... It's a brain thing!
Melissa Ethridge used to be a great rock-n-roller, until she came out of the closet. Even though, I mostly groove to the music of songs, rather than the words/message... No! Really! It's a brain thing!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I have no issue with them allowing podcasts from multiple viewpoints or someone's personal history. Should I stop listening to Eric Clapton because he's anti-vax and spreading disinformation? Should spotify take all his music and Cream's off the list? Should I stop listening to Mozart because he probably sexually assaulted many women? I'd have nothing to listen to besides Chant music.

Top Bottom