• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have no issue with them allowing podcasts from multiple viewpoints or someone's personal history. Should I stop listening to Eric Clapton because he's anti-vax and spreading disinformation? Should spotify take all his music and Cream's off the list? Should I stop listening to Mozart because he probably sexually assaulted many women? I'd have nothing to listen to besides Chant music.
I think Eric Clapton should stop being an asshole and stop suing grandmas.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Plenty of Fish in that pond.
We actually left a Pocono music-festival when they were the closing band... It's a brain thing!
Melissa Ethridge used to be a great rock-n-roller, until she came out of the closet. Even though, I mostly groove to the music of songs, rather than the words/message... No! Really! It's a brain thing
woof

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, dogs (should) have nothing to do with what goes on in sum1's private quarters but I really don't care to know the details. Some can listen to even CSN&Y in there, for all I care.
BTW: My reply had zero inference to the dating site of similar name and those activities that MelissaE may prefer in her privacy... ;)
I learned a long time ago that my brain has a 'mind' of its own about tastes in music and sometimes it forces my right hand to reach for the volume control and forces me to twist it to extreme CCW..

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I personally don't care about one's political views, or what one cares to do in the privacy of their own home.
One person's truth is another man's lie and vice a versa.
Choosing music in regard to an artist's viewpoint or political stance would become very limited. Which is why I only pay attention to the product they produce, not where they choose to stand.

So, my leaving and not returning to Spotify has nothing to do with all that hoopla going on.
Rather, it stems from what i consider shady business practices. Dangling the carrot of Hi-rez format to consumers for some 5 years in an attempt to keep or gain subscribers, just rubs me the wrong way.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Sorry, dogs (should) have nothing to do with what goes on in sum1's private quarters but I really don't care to know the details. Some can listen to even CSN&Y in there, for all I care.
BTW: My reply had zero inference to the dating site of similar name and those activities that MelissaE may prefer in her privacy... ;)
I learned a long time ago that my brain has a 'mind' of its own about tastes in music and sometimes it forces my right hand to reach for the volume control and forces me to twist it to extreme CCW..
you're spare parts bud

Robin L

Master Contributor
Spotify managed to worm its way to the system startup of the house's two computers. I managed to remove it from my Windows laptop, it's still part of the turn-on cycle for the older I-Mac. I think it was a trial subscription, didn't like the way the software wormed its way to the top of the computer's agenda, so it's permanently exiled from my computer.

I tried Amazon's top tier, loved the selection, but it would cut in and out. I suspect I need more RAM to use it. I also had problems with Amazon double-billing me, so they're also scratched off my list. You Tube can sound fine, a lot of what I'm looking for is there, the only issue for me is, do I want to pay to dodge commercials? So far no. Other than that, I've got more music ripped to the computer's and DAP's memory than I've had time or inclination to hear. "Much of a muchness" as the Brits might say, so I've got no real inclination to try another streaming service right now.

I voted the "I don't know" option, but what's really needed is "other" because I do know that I would quit Spotify if I could, but they can't seem to quit me.

Peterinvan

I can't hear a difference as I'm trialing Spotify and Tidal at the moment. Most likely I'll keep Tidal as I like Roon(trial period as well).
I am using Roon on 3 month trial. My main use case is to be able to EQ Tidal streams.
One excellent feature in Roon is the ability to export a Soundiz .CSV of any Tidal playlist. I consider these as a backup in case of issues with Tidal.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I understand where the money NOT to fix lossless goes to. It feels reassuring to know that:

Spotify's product manager Gustav Söderström, annual salary of SEK 168 million ($ 18.7 million).

"Sweden's real top salaries can be found on Spotify and in the computer game industry.

CEOs in the traditional engineering industry, such as Volvo and Scania, have ended up in the backwater in terms of pay in comparison with the managers in the "new economy".

There is a difference of SEK 100 million in annual salary between Spotify's product manager Gustav Söderström and Håkan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Cars."

A serious magazine, which published that:

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-28_01-30-27.png
    shot_2022-01-28_01-30-27.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • shot_2022-01-28_16-26-22.png
    shot_2022-01-28_16-26-22.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Yuhasz01

I personally don't care about one's political views, or what one cares to do in the privacy of their own home.
One person's truth is another man's lie and vice a versa.
Choosing music in regard to an artist's viewpoint or political stance would become very limited. Which is why I only pay attention to the product they produce, not where they choose to stand.

So, my leaving and not returning to Spotify has nothing to do with all that hoopla going on.
Rather, it stems from what i consider shady business practices. Dangling the carrot of Hi-rez format to consumers for some 5 years in an attempt to keep or gain subscribers, just rubs me the wrong way.
Spotify does not care about the music or artists only making money. Last I know Rohan was not a musician but a weird talking head on YouTube.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The Rogan issue does make me want to drop them, going to see if I can get my family to come along on that. I don't like supporting any company that would support his spew.
Yeah, same. The $100 million Rogan deal adds injury to the insult of their ongoing hi-res vapourware bs.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yeah, same. The $100 million Rogan deal adds injury to the insult of their ongoing hi-res vapourware bs.
However, how are the other streaming providers? Idealists? What about Amazon? Apple? ...and so on..

Just take this: How much pay, % compensation goes to musicians / artists?

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-28_10-52-08.png
    shot_2022-01-28_10-52-08.png
    734.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
However, how are the other streaming providers? Idealists? What about Amazon? Apple? ...and so on..

Just take this: How much pay, % compensation goes to musicians / artists?

I'd pin the date as sometime early in the Obama administration. Around that time smart phones and streaming music became mainstream. And physical media became unnecessary. Why play a CD in the car when you can stream the tune via a phone?

I've got an old Prius with a 5 CD carousel and an aux in. Gail's got a more recent Rav-4 with a USB input for her I-Pod. Sometimes it will switch over to a bluetooth connection to her I-Phone and stream something off of YouTube. More recent cars have much more evolved "infotainment"---you can play your ripped CD collection from "The Cloud", or listen to satellite radio, or stream something like Spotify. Sometime, starting around 2010, there was a massive shift away from physical media and the retail environments designed to sell CDs, books and videos. You could now get these things without having to go to a mall to buy a physical object. LPs appeared to be more collectible and physically tangible than CDs, so sales of "Vinyl" rising from the ashes of its own demise becomes the prevailing story. But the reality is that streaming is the big winner, making musicians the big losers.

The reminds me of how the Beatles/Brian Epstein pretty much threw away potential income from wigs and Beatle Boots and such when they signed contracts with the companies who profited from that merch. They had no idea it would be so profitable. The rates for the corporate entities holding the rights to stream the music would always be much greater than for musicians. And my guess is that those rates were established long ago, before streaming became a meaningful income source for corporate giants. If a band sells 10 LPs at a show, they'll make a bigger profit than from a couple of years of streaming.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'd pin the date as sometime early in the Obama administration. Around that time smart phones and streaming music became mainstream. And physical media became unnecessary. Why play a CD in the car when you can stream the tune via a phone? I've got an old Prius with a 5 CD carousel and an aux in. Gail's got a more recent Rav-4 with a USB input for her I-Pod. Sometimes it will switch over to a bluetooth connection to her I-Phone and stream something off of YouTube. More recent cars have much more evolved "infotainment"---you can play your ripped CD collection from "The Cloud", or listen to satellite radio, or stream something like Spotify. Sometime, starting around 2010, there was a massive shift away from physical media and the retail environments designed to sell CDs, books and videos. You could now get these things without having to go to a mall to buy a physical object. LPs appeared to be more collectible and physically tangible than CDs, so sales of "Vinyl" rising from the ashes of its own demise becomes the prevailing story. But the reality is that streaming is the big winner, making musicians the big losers.

The reminds me of how the Beatles/Brian Epstein pretty much threw away potential income from wigs and Beatle Boots and such when they signed contracts with the companies who profited from that merch. They had no idea it would be so profitable. The rates for the corporate entities holding the rights to stream the music would always be much greater than for musicians. And my guess is that those rates were established long ago, before streaming became a meaningful income source for corporate giants. If a band sells 10 LPs at a show, they'll make a bigger profit than from a couple of years of streaming.
We will see what happens in the future.

Go to live concerts instead. Arranged by sensible people / musicians.By the way, it does not have to be big festivals. Local gigs in various smaller places are starting now as things are going in the right direction with Covid (hopefully) and we can start going out more.

Also, live, take a chamber orchestra playing or a jazz group with drums, piano, bass and saxophone. Its the real deal, the sound quality with Home Hifi will still never come close to that dynamic.

Plus, of course, meeting other people and having fun.:)

Attached image, # 19 in the thread:

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-28_13-22-44.png
    shot_2022-01-28_13-22-44.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 64
  • PP-01-002.jpg
    PP-01-002.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Peterinvan
Can I ask you to see if "Mingus The Candid Recordings" is on Tidal please?
I am trying to road test catalogues before committing to the Spotify replacement. Going down a Stereophile list of records to die for, that is the first not to show on Spotify.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This just in: Move over Spotify, SXM has picked up NeilYoung as one of their channels, and he will be the narrator.
Should make some people happy.
I hope @MattHooper is not a NeilYoung follower. He definitely is not an SXM fanboy. ;)

BN1

As the old saying goes, "the only thing worse than bad publicity is NO publicity ...". Spotify should be happy now.

Top Bottom