• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Petevid

Does a failing screen mean a failing unit? Can you still run it off your phone?
I can’t imagine that they would include any important or indeed any functionality that can only be accessed via the screen, that would be very short sighted. It would all need to be accessible via the app and/or remote. So I guess, indeed I hope, should the screen fail the unit remains functional.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I can’t imagine that they would include any important or indeed any functionality that can only be accessed via the screen, that would be very short sighted. It would all need to be accessible via the app and/or remote. So I guess, indeed I hope, should the screen fail the unit remains functional.

That’s what I would expect. I’d be more worried that the screen were failing and sending a constant signal that something was being touched.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Looking forward to seeing Wiim Ultra released this year.

First...
- USB out - Post #195. Additionally, the USB out will 1) support room correction EQ functionality - Post #239, 2) be able to split off the low end output to the sub out - Post #239, 3) serve as a media server - Post #199
- USB media server - Post #195. It will have an onboard music server which will be DLNA/UPnP compliant - Post #241
- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio - Post #195.
- A display - Post #195. The display will be touch screen with a custom UI providing access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself - Post #707
- Integrated power supply - Post #195
- Phono input - Post #195
- 12v trigger - Post #203. It will be 3.5mm - Post #208
- Form Factor - similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707
- Price - the most economically accessible option in its class - Post #707
(source)

And...
that the Ultra will have “an upgraded DAC compared to the WiiM Pro Plus, enhancing sound quality significantly”.
(source)

And...
We plan to increase the PEQ bands to 8, but this update is scheduled for no earlier than the first quarter of next year. Please stay tuned!
(source) (source2)
update:
now 10-band PEQ. (source3)

Very excited!

Last edited:

tjf

Hopefully Wiim will add LPF and HPF to their PEQ, not just peak and High shelf/Low shelf as they have now, and added to my PEQ wish list would be greater boost/cut than 12db

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Hopefully Wiim will add LPF and HPF to their PEQ, not just peak and High shelf/Low shelf as they have now, and added to my PEQ wish list would be greater boost/cut than 12db

They have said for some time that this is coming. And we know they can do it, as the WiiM Amp has both in its crossover for the subwoofer out.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Excellent news!

I found the Source.

WiiM is really kicking ass, eh?

Absolutely. It looks like the one thing ‘wrong’ about the WiiM Amp is that the amp stage isn’t the best, and can’t be bypassed. The upcoming WiiM Ultra looks like it’s going to be the Amp without the amp stage, so you can choose your own, and a whole lot extra.

tsfreo

Excellent news!

I found the Source.

WiiM is really kicking ass, eh?
Waiting on the Ultra - it is the device that kept me from getting a DMP-A6. I have a Pro running into a reasonable DAC into my living room and the Ultra seems just the thing to make my system a little more user friendly for the whole family, without costing a fortune. Pretty amazing products for the price. The easy linking of systems in different rooms running Wiim streamers is a big use in my house too.

Middle Earth

“Hi, we've decided to lock this thread until we're ready to provide further information about WiiM Ultra. Please ensure that discussions in the forum remain productive and enjoyable for all participants.

Thank you,
WiiM Team”

I am going to wait and see
Was going to get the Pro Plus
If Wiim blows up their aggressive price point business model I will just get the Pro Plus
I‘d go up to $400 ish but not for a DAC or a POS phono stage or room correction
I like an external DAC and Phono preamp
I hope they will keenly focus on streaming as I am interested in adding a streamer
Last thing I want is a contraption but clearly there is a market for contraptions

Overseas

Major Contributor
I would like the Ultra to allow for music download from the streaming platforms, as the phones app. Not interested to enter a debate why on earth I want this.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I would like the Ultra to allow for music download from the streaming platforms, as the phones app. Not interested to enter a debate why on earth I want this.
Unlikely to happen I’d say for at least a couple of reasons: the Ultra won’t have the storage for such and I’m not aware that the APIs that streaming services make available to third parties have a means of facilitating that.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No, but I think that would be 'casting' which is a bit lower quality than streaming directly?
Cause my whole point is to ensure max qual by download as in 'no wifi, no worries'. I would accept a card slot for the Ultra in this regard.

Brantome

Major Contributor
No, but I think that would be 'casting' which is a bit lower quality than streaming directly?

No, casting is redirecting the stream away from your phone to the target device with no loss of quality
Cause my whole point is to ensure max qual by download as in 'no wifi, no worries'. I would accept a card slot for the Ultra in this regard.

The WiiM Ultra (and WiiM Amp) has a USB slot that accepts an external drive, for example. However, downloading tracks for offline listening (unless you have bought them) are normally only accessible from the streaming service app due to DRM otherwise people would be illegally offloading music by the barrowload. Again, quality doesn’t come into it.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Have to tried accessing the streaming service’s own app, downloading there, then seeing if you access it on the WiiM app?
Unlikely again due to WiiM not being able to see those tracks which will probably be DRM protected into the bargain.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No, casting is redirecting the stream away from your phone to the target device with no loss of quality

Then Deezer casting to Wiim is same quality in theory with 'connect' option (cause theere is no Deezer Connect)?
Thanks

Brantome

Major Contributor
Then Deezer casting to Wiim is same quality in theory with 'connect' option (cause theere is no Deezer Connect)?
Thanks
Well, as you say, there’s no Deezer Connect casting so I guess when you say ‘cast’ you’re referring to ChromeCast which will deliver the same CD quality stream to a WiiM device from the Deezer as would the Deezer interface within the WiiM Home app. I can’t speak to Airplay and Deezer specifically but Qobuz can achieve bit perfect CD quality using Airplay 2.

Top Bottom