• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Dreamslayer

My experience is exactly the contrary. Never had issues with my pc as a source. Can't say the same for my smartphone with usb dac for example. At this level everyone uses some sort of exclusive mode i think, so no background sounds i'd say.

R7/R9 are much more practical and take a lot less space. The issue was the screen, so i suggested. Only after i posted, i red the previous post and realised all the gear already owned. Still, if the gear wasn't so specific, i still think it could make sense to change. (one can always sell right?) For what hey are, i don't think they're that expensive, specially the r7. (even though the headphone amp is not that powerful, but it will depend on the headphones themselves) Plus, you alredy can find a bunch of them (r7) in the used market for less money because a lot of people changed to r9 and eversolo's dmp units. Because of their form factor it seems to me they're the perfect unit for desktop use.
It's a fair point that the PC can work just fine. I don't like exclusive mode because I want to hear if I get a message on discord or some other alert and I don't want to tie up my premium gaming PC with a task that can be handled by a device that costs 3% of what my PC costs and puts out 3% of the heat.

And I don't enjoy listening to music with headphones. Headphones for gaming, speakers for music.

Connecting the phone to a DAC is a pain but using it to control Amazon music or my FLAC collection through the WiiM is super easy.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could you tell me how/ why do you need a streamer in a desktop context?
I too use a WiiM mini on my home office desktop to keep my music listening independent of my work laptop with all its corporate spyware, and to keep it separate from my phone's annoying notifications.

I don't need most of the Ultra's proposed functionality on the desktop, but I would like the touchscreen if it freed me from relying on the phone to control it and the streaming source.

Zapper

WiiM Ultra feature recap, for those of us new to the thread. The post numbers refer to the thread at the link, not this one.

By feature
- USB out - Post #195. Additionally, the USB out will 1) support room correction EQ functionality - Post #239, 2) be able to split off the low end output to the sub out - Post #239, 3) serve as a media server - Post #199
- USB media server - Post #195. It will have an onboard music server which will be DLNA/UPnP compliant - Post #241
- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio - Post #195.
- A display - Post #195. The display will be touch screen with a custom UI providing access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself - Post #707
- Integrated power supply - Post #195
- Phono input - Post #195
- 12v trigger - Post #203. It will be 3.5mm - Post #208
- Form Factor similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707
- Price - the most economically accessible option in its class - Post #707

V.b.

I would love a Wiim with a simple, led matrix display, so i can see song info across the room. With a rotary volume, HDMI ARC and a decent dac.

zeluxao

I too use a WiiM mini on my home office desktop to keep my music listening independent of my work laptop with all its corporate spyware, and to keep it separate from my phone's annoying notifications.

I don't need most of the Ultra's proposed functionality on the desktop, but I would like the touchscreen if it freed me from relying on the phone to control it and the streaming source.
Again: Fiio r7/ r9 :)

zeluxao

It's a fair point that the PC can work just fine. I don't like exclusive mode because I want to hear if I get a message on discord or some other alert and I don't want to tie up my premium gaming PC with a task that can be handled by a device that costs 3% of what my PC costs and puts out 3% of the heat.

And I don't enjoy listening to music with headphones. Headphones for gaming, speakers for music.

Connecting the phone to a DAC is a pain but using it to control Amazon music or my FLAC collection through the WiiM is super easy.
Fair enough :) When i mentioned everyone used some sort of exclusive mode i meant anyone who uses a pc as a source to a dac. (a good one. in the case it was a benchmark unit if i'm not mistaken). I alternate a lot between pc->usb/dac->headphones in desktop setup and streaming to speakers in living room or bedroom depending on the circumstances.

Dreamslayer

I'm interested in the WiiM Ultra to use as a preamp with bass management.

This puts it in a different category vs the Fiio products.
Fair enough :) When i mentioned everyone used some sort of exclusive mode i meant anyone who uses a pc as a source to a dac. (a good one. in the case it was a benchmark unit if i'm not mistaken). I alternate a lot between pc->usb/dac->headphones in desktop setup and streaming to speakers in living room or bedroom depending on the circumstances.
I have my PC output as USB to a Toslink optical+coaxial output - optical to my integrated amp, coaxial to my headphone amp.

I have other sources and I added a DAC to the Parasound but the only source that goes to my HPA is the PC optical (and the WiiM Pro, but only because it's setup as an optical input on the PC)

zeluxao

This puts it in a different category vs the Fiio products.

I have my PC output as USB to a Toslink optical+coaxial output - optical to my integrated amp, coaxial to my headphone amp.

I have other sources and I added a DAC to the Parasound but the only source that goes to my HPA is the PC optical (and the WiiM Pro, but only because it's setup as an optical input on the PC)
I don't have any of these Fiios but last time i checked it already had been updated to do that (bass management). Also i think you can use both digital and analog outputs at the same time so a win in my book. (one can use analog output to a sub and high pass to another dac). I'm pretty sure it can be used as a premp, maybe only using analog out, not sure.

The second part you mentioned, wayyy too complicated for me. Just usb out from pc to a headphone amp. done. :) (desktop)

Also (i think i've said this before) very curious to see what touchscreen they´re going to put in there (size), if they are keeping the wiim amps enclosure...

Dreamslayer

I don't have any of these Fiios but last time i checked it already had been updated to do that (bass management). Also i think you can use both digital and analog outputs at the same time so a win in my book. (one can use analog output to a sub and high pass to another dac). I'm pretty sure it can be used as a premp, maybe only using analog out, not sure.

The second part you mentioned, wayyy too complicated for me. Just usb out from pc to a headphone amp. done. :) (desktop)

Also (i think i've said this before) very curious to see what touchscreen they´re going to put in there (size), if they are keeping the wiim amps enclosure...
I saw the early reviews and they didn't mention bass management, if they added it, very smart as it's obviously capable of doing it.

For me, that would make the Fiio devices much more compelling as I do like the form factor. My biggest concern is their longevity - how will those android implementations hold up 5, 7 , 9 years from now? I suppose you could say the same about the Wiim products but they are basically a closed system where as the android platform is much more open and vulnerabilities (and compatibility) are a bigger concern.

zeluxao

I saw the early reviews and they didn't mention bass management, if they added it, very smart as it's obviously capable of doing it.

For me, that would make the Fiio devices much more compelling as I do like the form factor. My biggest concern is their longevity - how will those android implementations hold up 5, 7 , 9 years from now? I suppose you could say the same about the Wiim products but they are basically a closed system where as the android platform is much more open and vulnerabilities (and compatibility) are a bigger concern.
I have the exact same concerns on running android based. That's why i haven't bought one. I have similar ones with this wiim regarding the touch screen though. doesn't seem much future proof to me. I much prefer to rely on a third party to run the thing or just having simple buttons and nothing more. A touch screen seems like a weak link and makes me wonder what to do when it fails/ break, etc. Everytinhg else right now seems much more difficult to fail and if it does, seems easier to repair.

Dreamslayer

I have the exact same concerns on running android based. That's why i haven't bought one. I have similar ones with this wiim regarding the touch screen though. doesn't seem much future proof to me. I much prefer to rely on a third party to run the thing or just having simple buttons and nothing more. A touch screen seems like a weak link and makes me wonder what to do when it fails/ break, etc. Everytinhg else right now seems much more difficult to fail and if it does, seems easier to repair.
I think screen tech - especially mundane screen tech is pretty reliable and lasts a long time these days. Whatever your thoughts on the existence of the screen, I doubt it will have reliability issues inside of 10 years.

zeluxao

I think screen tech - especially mundane screen tech is pretty reliable and lasts a long time these days. Whatever your thoughts on the existence of the screen, I doubt it will have reliability issues inside of 10 years.
Yes, i'm sure with a bit of care it can last 8/10 years. But it's definitely the most fragile part of the unit. And i would like it if it could last 20 years instead :)

Dreamslayer

Have you had any Android smartphone hardware where the vendor provided Android updates for 7-9 years?

I surely haven't.
Yes, my new phone:

1708988976261.png

Attachments

• 1708988957284.png
    1708988957284.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 13

Zapper

I looked at the Fiio site for the R9 and I learned too much about the components inside, but too little about what it can do. Can it do multiroom music over wifi? Can it input and output over Bluetooth? Stream Spotify? Parametric equalization? Room calibration? Subwoofer out with variable crossover?

Zapper

That will be a winning feature, because it should be easy to do, but for most systems not based on a AVR it's hard and expensive to do. I have a bunch of audio sources with no sub out, and several active speakers with no sub out, even though they all have DSP. I needed a miniDSP to get bass management. My AVR makes it easy, as does my Genelec 2.1 system. WiiM Ultra will make it that easy too.

Same deal with room calibration. If/when WiiM adds it, it will be worth the price of the unit.

Last edited:

Petevid

That hasn’t been the case with the Naim Uniti where failing screens has been a issue.

BrooklynNick

I've had three different Android based DAPs and not one of them ever got a major Android upgrade. Eventually, Tidal would no longer work. Additionally, the batteries of course hold less and less charge and are not always replaceable. I'd expect a DAP to have a life around five years, based on my personal experiences. That is why I went back to using a portable amp (Topping G5) for when I'm on vacation and an Apple dongle for my IEMs when commuting.

The Fiio may not have those issues, I don't know. I'm done with that product category.

morillon

Major Contributor
the screen is a source of obvious additional failures...
and often a source of interferences which means that it is often a good idea to have the possibility of turning it off..
;-)

Top Bottom