• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

blacdot

Curious, if I'm using my Audiolab 9000A dac, will this Plus version offer any benefit?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes, well. @Kachda any source?
Well, it's no longer a rumor...

"In regards to the Parametric Equalizer (PEQ), we are currently supporting four bands. However, we understand that our users may have diverse needs and preferences. Therefore, we are committed to continuously improving this feature based on the valuable feedback we receive from users like you. If there is a demand for more bands, we are fully prepared to incorporate this into future firmware updates."

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for another comprehensive review, (and to @onlyoneme over on the WiiM site too).

That's a tremendous value streamer/ DAC with perfectly adequate ADC (and room for improvement).
Basic PEQ coming... It's a great starter package and WiiM mini's allow cheap multi-room.

Only potential concern is plugging this (Pro+) straight into powered speakers with no safety on the volume control. Is there anything in the design to help with this?

Nice kit, nice review:)

morillon

Major Contributor
Thank you for another comprehensive review, (and to @onlyoneme over on the WiiM site too).

That's a tremendous value streamer/ DAC with perfectly adequate ADC (and room for improvement).
Basic PEQ coming... It's a great starter package and WiiM mini's allow cheap multi-room.

Only potential concern is plugging this (Pro+) straight into powered speakers with no safety on the volume control. Is there anything in the design to help with this?

Nice kit, nice review:)
in general these are solutions on balanced inputs .. so in any case preferable to integrate a suitable preamp stage..

(besides any idea of the output impedance of the pro "plus" ?)

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
in general these are solutions on balanced inputs .. so in any case preferable to integrate a suitable preamp stage..

(besides any idea of the output impedance of the pro "plus" ?)
There are also RCA inline attenuators, worth consideration.
Pro Plus impedance is lower than Pro's for sure as I've seen that during my measurements.

geekosa

Despite the DAC section, is there any difference with the WIIM PRO?

ErVikingo

Thanks for the early review @VintageFlanker

As I understand it, there is no change performance gain (over the Pro) if I use an outboard DAC. Correct?

I use a Pro to a D90SE

morillon

Major Contributor
Thanks for the early review @VintageFlanker

As I understand it, there is no change performance gain (over the Pro) if I use an outboard DAC. Correct?

I use a Pro to a D90SE
dimension measures.. it is on.
side "listen", it must be tested ... a chip akm but your 90 an ess?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you for the measurements, @VintageFlanker!

A small suggestion: Don't format text to be black or gray. It'll be essentially unreadable for people using ASR's "XF2 Default Dark" theme:
Screenshot_20230808-110242_Chrome.png

Brantome

Major Contributor

ErVikingo

dimension measures.. it is on.
side "listen", it must be tested ... a chip akm but your 90 an ess?
Hi! Sorry and thanks for your reply but, i dont understand your input. ???

iconoclast

Thanks for the review! I would rather have seen a better ADC, and have the WiiM Mini have an improved DAC instead, with the way I'm using/trying to use WiiM multi-room. The release of this unit doesn't look like it really changes much, if anything, for me.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Now I'm confused if the official name is Pro Plus or Pro+. My box is labeled with Pro+. On amazon the device is called Pro Plus.

DearSX

With a decent EQ, it would be a great replacement for my Preamp/DAC/WiiM Pro, I would try and set the gain on my amps to limit output a little to keep things from blowing up, then again an affordable Pre-amp with trigger on/off would work too.

So is the internal DAC a good replacement for the SMSL SU1 DAC? Looks like the SMSL is a little better, but only 5db better SINAD?

Mittomen

Thank you for this excellent review! 4:21 AM? Hats off to your dedication!

staticV3

Master Contributor
So is the internal DAC a good replacement for the SMSL SU1 DAC? Looks like the SMSL is a little better, but only 5db better SINAD?
If you'd like to slim down your setup, the Pro Plus's internal DAC would be a good replacement for your SU-1.

Top Bottom