• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Greenman

no no it's you who are on the wrong track and don't really realize what the measure of what you present represents..its limits etc.

you should think about what your measurement presents, what is implemented, and the limits of this observation in relation to the gigue present on the toslink output of a mini or pro
;-)
(a little clue:
Post in thread 'My Pro tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-pro-tests.186/post-2061
;-
)
Not sure what you are trying to highlight here, but I will quote from that other thread the person who did the analysis:

”So in my opinion both are equal in terms of SQ when using external DAC“

which pretty much is exactly what I said and yet you seem to be challenging with some cryptic comments.

morillon

Major Contributor
Not sure what you are trying to highlight here, but I will quote from that other thread the person who did the analysis:

”So in my opinion both are equal in terms of SQ when using external DAC“

which pretty much is exactly what I said and yet you seem to be challenging with some cryptic comments.
but what you quote does not answer the question of jitter between mini and pro in toslink output... that's all...
I'm just pointing out a much larger observable jitter, if we try to observe it, between mini and pro..
no more...

Last edited:

Greenman

but what you quote does not answer the question of jitter between mini and pro in toslink output... that's all...
I'm just pointing out a much larger observable jitter, if we try to observe it, between mini and pro..
Yeh I understand, but is this of any significance on SQ? which is what the OP was asking. The differences seems to be down around -140db. Way below a level that can cause any issues to a modern Dac.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Yeh I understand, but is this of any significance on SQ? which is what the OP was asking. The differences seems to be down around -140db. Way below a level that can cause any issues to a modern Dac.
Any decent modern DAC will handle the jitter without any problem whatsoever, so it's completely pointless to keep pointing out the difference between the two, as has been explained many times. Some people simply won't give up.

morillon

Major Contributor
Any decent modern DAC will handle the jitter without any problem whatsoever, so it's completely pointless to keep pointing out the difference between the two, as has been explained many times. Some people simply won't give up.
that was not my point and was only pointing out a fact...any more...

ps if all this was perfect on our toslink spdif aes outputs indisputable, "perfect"... how to explain the different results so regularly observed "at the dac output" with usb? ;-)

but you must consistently demand to cease all measurements and observations of digital sources...
and demand that all old dacs be quickly destroyed if they are not up to the task!
like 3-4 years old ? less?:oops:
;-)

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
New touchscreen ?

How can I reproduce this @Ralph_Cramden
It's the last-gen Lenovo Tab M8 in its charging base, which Lenovo was selling for $80 right after the new gen came out. It's running my Chrome extension in the Kiwi browser. A nice match for the RME.

The Material Skin for LMS also works nicely on this.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's the last-gen Lenovo Tab M8 in its charging base, which Lenovo was selling for $80 right after the new gen came out. It's running my Chrome extension in the Kiwi browser. A nice match for the RME.

Thanks, got it working very fast in Chrome browser on macOS.

I love this cheap tablet you have working.

Any reason it can't work in Chrome browser on Android ? Why Kiwi browser ?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thanks, got it working very fast in Chrome browser on macOS.

I love this cheap tablet you have working.

Any reason it can't work in Chrome browser on Android ? Why Kiwi browser ?
I don't remember. I think Chrome has extension restrictions on some platforms, possibly Android.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this is helpful or not but on a regular basis My minis would freeze and I had to restart my mini. I have the pro and that is never a problem. I think it's got a lot more processing power which in my experience has allowed it to run more smoothly on my main system.

Progger

Hello.
I'm thinking of purchasing it to connect to my Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. The optical input of the amplifier will be connected to the TV. For this reason, I have to connect the Wii mini to the amplifier with the RCA-3.5mm jack cable. Will this cause a significant loss in sound?
And I think it connects to the phone via wi-fi. Thanks to Wiim, I think I will get a higher quality sound than connecting it with a cable via the phone's jack (RCA-3.5 mm). is it true?
Finally, I will connect with an Android Samsung phone. I guess it won't cause any problems without running the Samsung music app?
Thank you.

mssngpeces

Hello.
I'm thinking of purchasing it to connect to my Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. The optical input of the amplifier will be connected to the TV. For this reason, I have to connect the Wii mini to the amplifier with the RCA-3.5mm jack cable. Will this cause a significant loss in sound?
And I think it connects to the phone via wi-fi. Thanks to Wiim, I think I will get a higher quality sound than connecting it with a cable via the phone's jack (RCA-3.5 mm). is it true?
Finally, I will connect with an Android Samsung phone. I guess it won't cause any problems without running the Samsung music app?
Thank you.
The Wiim Pro version has a coaxial output that you could use to plug it directly to the dac in your Yamaha A-S301. The dac in the Wiim mini is subpar (using the analog output), but it's not necessarily audible to everyone.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hello.
Thank you.
The WiiM Mini comes with analog and optical cabling. You can audition both outputs of a Mini. Consider purchasing a WiiM Mini with return privileges in case you hear a difference and decide a WiiM Pro is better fit for your system.

Smislov

Hello.
Thank you
U can connect tv to bt to wiim mini, and wiim mini to amp (optical) I think that is best with wiim mini :) also u always can change bt connection with mob ;)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello.
Thank you.
Your initial idea, connecting your TV through the Yamaha Optical and Connecting the Wiim Mini from 3.5mm to an analog RCA input is the best way to go. If your TV has stereo analog outs you could do that instead with little difference.

While there are measurement differences between the analog output in the Pro+ and the Mini, the sound quality will still be excellent...virtually indistinguishable, I think not distinguishable from the analog out of the Pro+. Amir is not impressed with the the Analog Out Measurements in his Mini Review, but they are still far better than Bluetooth, Phonographs, Most MP3 players and the like.

Using Bluetooth for the TV will produce far lower quality, and may also introduce time delay. I am not sure if the sound quality from the Wiim will be better than your phone...but the sound quality from the WiiM will be close to perfect, so I would not worry about it.

I do not understand your question about the Samsung music app. If you want to listen to the Samsung Music app on your phone through the Mini, you should be able to cast the sound to it using Chromecast.

Last edited:

Progger

U can connect tv to bt to wiim mini, and wiim mini to amp (optical) I think that is best with wiim mini :) also u always can change bt connection with mob ;)
I think there will be a loss in sound quality with Bluetooth.
Your initial idea, connecting your TV through the Yamaha Optical and Connecting the Wiim Mini from 3.5mm to an analog RCA input is the best way to go. If your TV has stereo analog outs you could do that instead with little difference.

While there are measurement differences between the analog output in the Pro+ and the Mini, the sound quality will still be excellent...virtually indistinguishable, I think not distinguishable from the analog out of the Pro+. Amir is not impressed with the the Analog Out Measurements in his Mini Review, but they are still far better than Bluetooth, Phonographs, Most MP3 players and the like.

Using Bluetooth for the TV will produce far lower quality, and may also introduce time delay. I am not sure if the sound quality from the Wiim will be better than your phone...but the sound quality from the WiiM will be close to perfect, so I would not worry about it.

I do not understand your question about the Samsung music app. If you want to listen to the Samsung Music app on your phone through the Mini, you should be able to cast the sound to it using Chromecast.
The sound quality of Wiim when connected via RCA-3.5 mm cable is more than enough for me, thank you. Since it functions as a network player, I already expected that there would be no loss of sound via WiFi. But I wasn't sure about the 3.5 mm cable issue.
When I talked to some stores, they said that the 3.5 mm jack of the phone was not of very high quality and that Wiim was superior. For this reason, I thought there might be a positive difference.
Apk Samsung music on Android phone. Sometimes I put files on my phone's disk and listen to music. I was wondering if Wiim could play any music I opened in any application on the phone. Thank you very much.

RichT

so I wrote Wiim about my playback problem: doesn't matter what source, the Wiim mini plays for about 5 minutes than stops and needs to be re-booted. They told me the Wiim and your phone need to be on the same frequency, I tried that (2.4 GHz, I can't get the mini to work on 5 GHz) and it doesn't work either. They do not write me back with more help anymore. Does everyones' Wiim mini work great? Anyone have a fix? Thanks, regards

Music1969

Major Contributor
so I wrote Wiim about my playback problem: doesn't matter what source, the Wiim mini plays for about 5 minutes than stops and needs to be re-booted. They told me the Wiim and your phone need to be on the same frequency, I tried that (2.4 GHz, I can't get the mini to work on 5 GHz) and it doesn't work either. They do not write me back with more help anymore. Does everyones' Wiim mini work great? Anyone have a fix? Thanks, regards

Turn on 8.8.8.8 DNS inside the WiiM Home app. Do a reboot (and check again 8.8.8.8 DNS stayed enabled after reboot)

Does it help ?

Alternative is to replace WiiM Mini for Wiim Pro with hardwire ethernet cable

RichT

Turn on 8.8.8.8 DNS inside the WiiM Home app. Do a reboot (and check again 8.8.8.8 DNS stayed enabled after reboot)

Does it help ?

Alternative is to replace WiiM Mini for Wiim Pro with hardwire ethernet cable
Thanks for your help. I tried that one and it did not help the playback problem. Funny thing Wiim told me to turn that off. I've tried with both on and off. Any other ideas? Regards

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thanks for your help. I tried that one and it did not help the playback problem. Funny thing Wiim told me to turn that off. I've tried with both on and off. Any other ideas? Regards
Is WiiM Mini in close range to router?

How's WiFi strength?

Be careful if it is TOO close - WiFi signal saturation can be a problem

Top Bottom