• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Green7

Noticed this discrepancy in the bit rate showing on my Amazon Music pc app and the Wiim Home app when I play the same song. In the attached example, Amazon Music app on PC shows the song playing at 16 bit, whereas Wiim Home app shows the same song playing at 24 bit. Noticed the same for many songs. Also, if I am not mistaken, Amazon Music classifies 24 bit songs as UHD and not HD. Did anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• PC_Screenshot_AM.jpg
    PC_Screenshot_AM.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 73
  • WiimHomeScreenshot.jpg
    WiimHomeScreenshot.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 81

AKR

The latest update - 354- has a major bug for Spotify users. Spotify connect now keeps fading in and out. I have restarted the mini and Wifi is very good.
Opened a ticket.

Turambar

Noticed this discrepancy in the bit rate showing on my Amazon Music pc app and the Wiim Home app when I play the same song. In the attached example, Amazon Music app on PC shows the song playing at 16 bit, whereas Wiim Home app shows the same song playing at 24 bit. Noticed the same for many songs. Also, if I am not mistaken, Amazon Music classifies 24 bit songs as UHD and not HD. Did anyone else notice this?
If a track is 24 bit-depth, then is UHD regardless of the sample rate.

The Wiim rate and bit-depth shown are correct, don't worry about Amazon running in PC, is a disaster of an application

Green7

The Wiim rate and bit-depth shown are correct, don't worry about Amazon running in PC, is a disaster of an application
Thank you for the response. The above album that I posted is 16/44.1 (Diana Krall - Turn up the Quiet). Wiim app shows it as 24 bit. Perhaps I should re-phrase my question - do you see any song/album from Amazon Music showing up as 16 bit on the Wiim Home app? If so, can you please post it. I will then check on my end. Thank you.

Bamyasi

Looks like a regression, this bug has been initially fixed two firmware updates back.

Music1969

Major Contributor

The Desktop app is absolutely shocking in many ways but the 'track quality' it shows has always been correct in my experience.

This is a WiiM Mini bug that was fixed before as @Bamyasi mentions and the bug has returned @WiiM Support

Did you report it via WiiM Home app (in feedback) @Green7 ?

Bamyasi

Hmmm, I have 354 FW, casting from AM does not show any HD/UHD, is it mp3 quality? Says HD or UHD before I cast. Please comment.
Funny thing Amazon Music app on my Fire HD 8 tablet does show proper HD/ULTRAHD sticker when casting to WiiM Mini but the app itself is so slow it's hardly usable. Amazon Music app on my Android phone and tablet now does not show the sticker at all and also exhibits this bug when "now playing" page will not pop up no matter how many times you tap on the mini-player panel at the bottom. It eventually appears, sometimes in multiple copies, about 2 minutes later, often with blank screen where the album art is supposed to be. Android app has been misbihaving like this for the last couple months or so.

WiiM Support

and find out why deezer ended up working correctly in July...? for again constantly, since the firmware of the end of August this delogger, for the subscribers and to lose the flac etc....
in the end, it only worked for a few weeks for me, who has had a wiim since the end of February.

without waiting for the new deezer app announced at the end of September...which in no way guarantees that it works...?
why "did it work in july?"

sad
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused. The issue is due to old API issue that happens to some device. That's why we have to change to the latest API to fix the issue. Please help workaround this issue by re-login your account. We'll do our best to release the updated on within two weeks. Our apologies for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

WiiM Support

Firmware V4.6.429354 includes:
1. Twelve presets instead of the previous six.
2. Required me to reset Qobuz login. They may be using every bit of memory to make the latest changes?
3. Audirvana/Qobuz UPnP playback is broken again in this version. After a few songs the playlist stops and will not continue until the user presses the forward button to start the playlist again. It appears Wiim UPnP loses communication with Audurvana after a song. It keeps playing but Audirvana progress bar stops updating on the next song playing. Eventually, it all falls apart. Going back to RPI4 Moode fixes all problems.
Hi, thanks for your feedback. We integrated the latest Qobuz API that requires the re-login of your account. The information will be remembered for your future use. I remind our team to put this re-login into our release notes. Regarding the UPNP problem, it doesn't seem to be regression bug. Can you please send us a feedback with the WiiM Home App so we can look at this issue immediately? We'll get it fixed in our next firmware release. Thank you!

Green7

The Desktop app is absolutely shocking in many ways but the 'track quality' it shows has always been correct in my experience.

This is a WiiM Mini bug that was fixed before as @Bamyasi mentions and the bug has returned @WiiM Support

Did you report it via WiiM Home app (in feedback) @Green7 ?

@Music1969

Yes, sent feedback to Wiim Support via the app. Thank you to you and @Bamyasi for confirming that it is in fact a bug.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, thanks for your feedback. We integrated the latest Qobuz API that requires the re-login of your account. The information will be remembered for your future use. I remind our team to put this re-login into our release notes. Regarding the UPNP problem, it doesn't seem to be regression bug. Can you please send us a feedback with the WiiM Home App so we can look at this issue immediately? We'll get it fixed in our next firmware release. Thank you!

Can you please release a tool that allows the WiiM firmware to rollback to previous versions? It's getting absolutely crazy how UPnP breaks every other firmware update. Personally, I can't be your beta tester anymore. I would just as soon roll back to the previous 4.6.428136 release as it worked most of the time. Then avoid anymore updates as they continue to be buggy with no thorough UPnP testing before pushing them out to customers. In fact, 4.6.429354 is the worst UPnP version I have seen so far.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I can’t believe AM has or plays no 16 Bit files anymore. I think there’s a bug!:/

Huh? I'm casting HD (16/44.1) fine

The bug I see is WiiM Home app showing 16-bit as 24-bit but not a big deal.

Much worse would be 24-bit being truncated to 16-bit but this is not happening

Brantome

Major Contributor
Huh? I'm casting HD (16/44.1) fine

The bug I see is WiiM Home app showing 16-bit as 24-bit but not a big deal.

Much worse would be 24-bit being truncated to 16-bit but this is not happening
Yeah, and it showed HD as did the amazon App. As you say, no big deal…

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
@WiiM Support

UPnP seems to be buggy indeed. I've split a file into 3 smaller parts and converted to different formats to test gapless playback. Tests mentioned below were performed with flac files.
When using eezUPnP controller I got:
- 1 track played and WiiM sends correct information about song being played
- 2 track played gapless and WiiM sends incorrect information about song being played - length and position are correct but song url, title etc. are still related to track 1
- 2 track played again and WiiM sends correct information about song being played
- 3 track played gapless and WiiM sends incorrect information about song being played - length and position are correct but song url, title etc. are still related to track 2
- 3 track played again and WiiM sends correct information about song being played

Those 3 tracks were played 5 times in summary.

In case of LMS with UPnP bridge:
-1 track played and WiiM sends correct information about song being played
- 2 track played gapless and WiiM sends incorrect information about song being played - still related to track 1
(LMS doesn't send length information at all but that's the LMS "feature")
After that playback has stopped.

Edit:

Just after LMS test I've repeated eezUPnP test and this time everything was fine. Then I've repeated it again and I got the same issues back as described on top.

I've also tried with very short few seconds files. Behavior was kind of random and unpredictable there.

Edit 2:

LMS tests were made with gapless option set to Yes in UPnP bridge settings. When it was set to Force my playlist was played correctly but no gapless at all.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you please release a tool that allows the WiiM firmware to rollback to previous versions? It's getting absolutely crazy how UPnP breaks every other firmware update. Personally, I can't be your beta tester anymore. I would just as soon roll back to the previous 4.6.428136 release as it worked most of the time. Then avoid anymore updates as they continue to be buggy with no thorough UPnP testing before pushing them out to customers. In fact, 4.6.429354 is the worst UPnP version I have seen so far.
If you want near perfect playback use wiim app. You expecting third party would work same as their app. Third party is not the best functionality in contrast on native app.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want near perfect playback use wiim app. You expecting third party would work same as their app. Third party is not the best functionality in contrast on native app.

If you want to use the Qobuz/Audirvana combo it's actually best to totally avoid WiiM. I use the RPI4 with Moode and never have any UPnP issue. I wanted WiiM to eventually replace the RPI4 setup but WiM developers are unable to release stable UPnP versions. They don't thoroughly test UPnP with options besides their app so you get new broken UPnP code with each firmware update. It's a mess.

I would only recommend WiiM to users who are happy to ONLY use Amazon and the WiiM app. Third party players are not tested and the company is more interested in reducing the gap between songs than having a stable firmware. That decision makes WiiM a niche product that breaks with each release for those using something besides Amazon and the Wiim app. I am completely disappointed. I'm about to throw my three pucks in the trash and give up on this crazy broken merry-go-round of WiiM firmware updates.

If WiiM had a firmware loader I could pick a version that works best and stay with it. But instead, you upgrade hoping the fix is complete and it's seriously worse that previous versions with no way to rollback. It turns every buyer into a beta tester whose waiting for the next fix. I need a quality product that's fully tested before pushing updates out. WiiM fails at this miserably.

Witterings

Personally I'm not a fan of the WiiM App, might be a bit better when you can go landscape on a tablet but it also suffers some of the shortcomings that Android does with Amazom music as well.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want to use the Qobuz/Audirvana combo it's actually best to totally avoid WiiM. I use the RPI4 with Moode and never have any UPnP issue. I wanted WiiM to eventually replace the RPI4 setup but WiM developers are unable to release stable UPnP versions. They don't thoroughly test UPnP with options besides their app so you get new broken UPnP code with each firmware update. It's a mess.

I would only recommend WiiM to users who are happy to ONLY use Amazon and the WiiM app. Third party players are not tested and the company is more interested in reducing the gap between songs than having a stable firmware. That decision makes WiiM a niche product that breaks with each release for those using something besides Amazon and the Wiim app. I am completely disappointed. I'm about to throw my three pucks in the trash and give up on this crazy broken merry-go-round of WiiM firmware updates.

If WiiM had a firmware loader I could pick a version that works best and stay with it. But instead, you upgrade hoping the fix is complete and it's seriously worse that previous versions with no way to rollback. It turns every buyer into a beta tester who’s waiting for the next fix. I need a quality product that's fully tested before pushing updates out. WiiM fails at this miserably.
There’s no such product that works on every imaginable services. Even those expensive streamer like stream, node etc had their share of problems on their forum. It’s takes time to get thing fix. I agree Amazon was their focus as many of them use it. Since I don’t use roon/audirvana, I am not facing problems. I just use the provided app and I know it’s not same functionality as native app then again which third party does. It’s true firmware fix something and break others. It’s takes many firmware release before particular issue get resolve. When you add string of codes on existing one to add features some of the old codes get impacted to added ones and this reason bug fix never ends.

Music1969

Major Contributor

I have it working great with not only Amazon UHD casting but Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and proper Airplay 2 (multiroom).

If this makes WiiM Mini a "niche" product, well...

I haven't tried playing from Audirvana yet. I'll give it a test.

Once Qobuz Connect rolls out (maybe it is in testing with some manufacturers already?) then there won't be any need to use Qobuz inside Audirvana.

Top Bottom