• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't think it's because it's used by many on amazon..
but precisely the marketing effect for both being the "ultra hd" promised by amazon the geant .... one feeding the other.
especially since amazon is the main reseller of wiim.. and by far..
so for months indeed the energies have been on the "promised" amazon and...I don't know why, tidal (??)(despite the difficulties linked to the mqa)

reading the various descriptions of firmwares is edifying...
the deezer "hifi" does not work...
qoobuz spotify finally?
there is little return here for these...

"​

Les promesses n'engagent que ceux qui les écoutent.​

in french..sorry
;-)

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have it working great with not only Amazon UHD casting but Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and proper Airplay 2 (multiroom).

If this makes WiiM Mini a "niche" product, well...

I haven't tried playing from Audirvana yet. I'll give it a test.

Once Qobuz Connect rolls out (maybe it is in testing with some manufacturers already?) then there won't be any need to use Qobuz inside Audirvana.
Will they have quoboz connect like Spotify? If that happen, I will try them out again.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I have it working great with not only Amazon UHD casting but Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and proper Airplay 2 (multiroom).

If this makes WiiM Mini a "niche" product, well...

I haven't tried playing from Audirvana yet. I'll give it a test.

Once Qobuz Connect rolls out (maybe it is in testing with some manufacturers already?) then there won't be any need to use Qobuz inside Audirvana.

Yeah, until I joined this thread, I had only vaguely heard of Audirvana which makes its Qobuz combo pretty much niche to me. Each niche to their own I guess…

morillon

Major Contributor
I'm using Wiim with Qobuz (not Qobuz Connect, still not an available feature in Qobuz) with no problems at all. Wiim is much more than Amazon.
It's good news...
;-)
with the wiim or qobuz application?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Too many features for a device which has no resources to handle all of them perfectly.

Very nice !

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Too many features for a device which has no resources to handle all of them perfectly.
Your qualifications to be judgmental? Or do you have too many features? :)
ASR is not perfect; ASR lacks a "dislike" response.

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough." -Voltaire

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Your qualifications to be judgmental? Or do you have too many features? :)
ASR is not perfect; ASR lacks a "dislike" response.

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough." -Voltaire
Personal experience is sufficient enough to let me provide my own opinion on Mini.

morillon

Major Contributor

Very nice !
it's good...
it seems all the same that he still has paths of progress and "promises"
personally if in the future deezer dont work I will offer it to a friend who wants to try qobuz etc and will return to the chromecast.. (which does not work well on deezer hifi either, hihi)
what I especially wish is that with the future wiim pro, we will not see months of debugging that we have followed here and to which many of us have devoted a lot of time, energy, etc.
if it can be used for the next version..
;-)

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Why? What specifically is wrong with your WiiM Mini use?

Specific details so I/we can try to reproduce.

Vague info, cannot help :-(
Stability issues which have been confirmed by WiiM support but also time consuming to be solved due to the nature - memory leaks in some libraries. Annoying mostly when AM is being used.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
The Wiim rate and bit-depth shown are correct, don't worry about Amazon running in PC, is a disaster of an application
On my PC (Win11) I have been running AMHD for about two years without any issue. It is a simple and useful application that runs faultlessly. Amazon has updated my application several times, and each one has worked properly as updated. If it didn't, I'd be trying (again) some offshore service like qobuz or tidal. I tried those before settling on AMHD. Here I run AMHD>Win11 & AMHD application>USB>DAC>monitors.

I also run the AMHD on an iPad using the AMHD app. Same deal; works without a hitch. AMHD>iPad & AMHD app>USB>Modi3>preamp>amp>speakers.

And I also run AMHD on 2 WiiMs using the WiiM app on Android. A few issues as WiiM was upgrading and fixing, but today it works well at up to 24/192k (when AMHD has the stream in UHD). AMHD>WiiM & WiiM app on Android>optical>DAC/preamp>amp>speakers.

I see no "disaster." Not even a storm. Maybe a little wind... and none of this runs Roon patches to fix bad speakers. :)

morillon

Major Contributor
On my PC (Win11) I have been running AMHD for about two years without any issue. It is a simple and useful application that runs faultlessly. Amazon has updated my application several times, and each one has worked properly as updated. If it didn't, I'd be trying (again) some offshore service like qobuz or tidal. I tried those before settling on AMHD. Here I run AMHD>Win11 & AMHD application>USB>DAC>monitors.

I also run the AMHD on an iPad using the AMHD app. Same deal; works without a hitch. AMHD>iPad & AMHD app>USB>Modi3>preamp>amp>speakers.

And I also run AMHD on 2 WiiMs using the WiiM app on Android. A few issues as WiiM was upgrading and fixing, but today it works well at up to 24/192k (when AMHD has the stream in UHD). AMHD>WiiM & WiiM app on Android>optical>DAC/preamp>amp>speakers.

I see no "disaster." Not even a storm. Maybe a little wind... and none of this runs Roon patches to fix bad speakers. :)
since in particular 02/17 which was the pivot point
it hasn't been easy though
:)))

Brantome

Major Contributor
Doesn’t this suffer from not being bit perfect and not being able to cast to other devices like the WiiM? Have you tried running the Android Amazon Music app in the Windows Subsystem For Android and see how that sounds and operates for you to perhaps overcome those limitations?

Top Bottom