• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

WiiM's roadmap page has this rolling banner:

"If you have trouble to use TIDAL Connect on the Android device, please clear the user data on Android setting for TIDAL App to workaround this issue. It will be fixed by TIDAL around 9/21"
Yes I had three time, starting from end of august. The android Tidal app, whilst see wiim, can't connect it. The iOS always works. I'm quite shure that one of the trigger of that, is to change the memory to SD card. Already workarounded in the way suggested...

Brantome

Major Contributor
Using it is like time travelling back to the year 2000 (for me)

But if you don't care for recommendations and autoplay and playlists and discovery - and you just want to search and play - which many people are still happy to do - then its perfectly fine and has been bit perfect in that way for years now

Yeah, agree - the Heos app in particular was execrable. I’ve just boxed up my Heos Link HS2 and put it up for sale - guess the WiiM Mini is a keeper ;)

Someone in another forum got very defensive when I said the WiiM scored better than the Bluesound node because I could use AlexaCast from the Amazon Music app and that casting from the streaming service’s own app was the way to go rather than rely on the poor API Amazon normally dole out to third parties. He then went off on a tangent about not being able to have a playlist that can take tracks from any service, including your own local files. Well, guess what, WiiM are about to do that starting with Amazon Music…

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I used Sonos until they nearly abandoned the original users, then were forced into an unworkable Sonos-1/Sonos-2 "solution". They have also moved way too far from their original purpose into the AV world, now giving AV priority over good old 2-channel audio. Pass. The WiiM is now what Sonos was originally, only better.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Linkplay next mission would be gapless issue then tidal mqa and added features here and there. The latest wiim app comes with reboot so you don’t have to unplug it Now, if they can integrate apple inside wiim to listen on their 24/192 they pretty much cover all major streaming and will add value and customer who want hd on their Apple Music.

Smartplug

Yeah, agree - the Heos app in particular was execrable. I’ve just boxed up my Heos Link HS2 and put it up for sale - guess the WiiM Mini is a keeper ;)

Someone in another forum got very defensive when I said the WiiM scored better than the Bluesound node because I could use AlexaCast from the Amazon Music app and that casting from the streaming service’s own app was the way to go rather than rely on the poor API Amazon normally dole out to third parties. He then went off on a tangent about not being able to have a playlist that can take tracks from any service, including your own local files. Well, guess what, WiiM are about to do that starting with Amazon Music…
This what makes linkplay above to others as they are software and can make those hardware add features however they want it.

Witterings

Does anyone know what version Bluetooth the Pro will have ... be good if it was aptx, disappointing if not.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
After watching Doris Day in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, 1956 version last night, decided to give her one and only jazz outing, Duet with Andre Previn, a spin. Weird. She's buried WAY back in the background. Switched to playing straight through the DAC from my PC - perfect; as expected, Doris comes through loud and clear on the right channel.

@WiiM Support, something very odd is happening to this recording on the WiiM Mini. I tried playing from my NAS, from Deezer, from Qobuz and from Tidal. Same result. I'll open a ticket.

1662918642386.png

Last edited:

Smartplug

People usually react if they pay alot and competition does much better at lower price. Let say 6000 dollars but lack of features sets and 5 percent better performance than competition but profit margin was enormous. WiiM sells these by the thousands even the profit margin was low but by the time you add those units that were sold they make money in contrast of competition that are uber price sells 1 or 2 in a month which basically collecting dust on the warehouse and their plant where they produce them won’t have much work as the product don’t get sold alot.

Silver Chips

As soon wiim pro get release, I’m placing an order. Since pro has two digital out, coax and optical, one will be connected to directly to AVR and the other to external dac.
Would be awesome if the PRO also had an I2S output but one can only expect so much for a $150-ish unit that probably has already been sent into production due to demand.

I think the best benefit and most usefulness for the Pro will be able to provide a good outboard DAC with clean data and the user interface's being easy to use and powerful. So far, we already know that Wiim has been going beyond expectations in trying to deliver a ease of use device.

I would not expect the built in DAC in the Pro not be anything worth while (and it shouldn't be with a $150 retail price) and I instead really hope they spent more on the budget and design for the other hardware bits and it's processing ability making the device more worthwhile; that would make the Pro really shine and slay much pricier units when pairing it up a good outboard DAC as I would think most who are interested in the Pro will already have an outboard DAC in there system.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Would be awesome if the PRO also had an I2S output but one can only expect so much for a $150-ish unit that probably has already been sent into production due to demand.

I think the best benefit and most usefulness for the Pro will be able to provide a good outboard DAC with clean data and the user interface's being easy to use and powerful. So far, we already know that Wiim has been going beyond expectations in trying to deliver a ease of use device.

I would not expect the built in DAC in the Pro not be anything worth while (and it shouldn't be with a $150 retail price) and I instead really hope they spent more on the budget and design for the other hardware bits and it's processing ability making the device more worthwhile; that would make the Pro really shine and slay much pricier units when pairing it up a good outboard DAC as I would think most who are interested in the Pro will already have an outboard DAC in there system.
From what I know of, it doesn’t have usb which dac nowadays has usb and i2s. It has Ethernet, coax, optical analog input which I think the same with mini 3.5 and upgraded hardware from dual core to quad core and memory from 128 to 512. If they can omit the built in dac and use that budget for other connector that will make this an great transport. Many user buy wiim and use external dac so few user use internal dac for casual listening. I just want wiim just to be streamer transport and all connection are on board.

Witterings

I just want wiim just to be streamer transport and all connection are on board.

I just want WiiM to be able to:

1/. Cast Amazon Ultra HD to multiroom
2/. Convince Russia they made a huge mistake so they publicly apologise to the world
3/. Get Russia to withdraw all their troops
4/. Swear allegiance to the world they'll never try anything like it again
5/. Use the billions they have to start re-building Ukraine and provide the workforce to do it
6/. Provide financial support to all those that lost their main income earner in the war
7/. Convince China invading Tiawan would be a huge mistake
8/. Provide me with next week's winning lottery numbers an hour before the draw

Maybe I've pushed the boundaries with my wishlist and No1's a bit ambitious?

Smartplug

I just want WiiM to be able to:

1/. Cast Amazon Ultra HD to multiroom
2/. Convince Russia they made a huge mistake so they publicly apologise to the world
3/. Get Russia to withdraw all their troops
4/. Swear allegiance to the world they'll never try anything like it again
5/. Use the billions they have to start re-building Ukraine and provide the workforce to do it
6/. Provide financial support to all those that lost their main income earner in the war
7/. Convince China invading Tiawan would be a huge mistake
8/. Provide me with next week's winning lottery numbers an hour before the draw

Maybe I've pushed the boundaries with my wishlist and No1's a bit ambitious?
It would be great if the world we live in was in peace but that was not case. There was good and there was bad people, There are people breaking a law and get away with it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
We are going off topic.

There are good streamers today and bad streamers

For optical output - WiiM Mini best !

Smartplug

We are going off topic.

There are good streamers today and bad streamers

For optical output - WiiM Mini best !
Don’t say that on hifi.org on stream, someone will get defensive as he find wiim bright and harsh using same external using on his stream. I agree it’s just matter of time till all these expensive streamer lower their over price unit because of competition at low price and full of features. Pro can’t come any sooner, I’m hot on hills on getting this.

thomasward00

Don’t say that on hifi.org on stream, someone will get defensive as he find wiim bright and harsh using same external using on his stream. I agree it’s just matter of time till all these expensive streamer lower their over price unit because of competition at low price and full of features. Pro can’t come any sooner, I’m hot on hills on getting this.
Agree 100% the Bluesound node is greatly overpriced at $600, hopefully competition from the low end makes these companies come to their senses in pricing.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yeah the discussion over on head-fi.org is interesting where they’re claiming, if I understand it, that bit perfect output from the WiiM sounds different from bit perfect output from another streamer. I can only think in that case that the flac decoders in the streamers are producing different results, but that doesn’t make sense too…

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
the dogma here is that the jitter of a source has no impact on the result at the output of the dac... (even if here, even in the audio, differences in results are observed on the same dac depending on the input format)
-I have personally been able to observe the difference between simple chromecast and the wiim not to the advantage of the wiim...

-Historically among audiophiles the use of toslink was pointed for decades as less qualitative than spdif aes or st...

have you been able to listen while trying to put dogmas aside from other streamers in comparison

??
;-)

ps
I was quite surprised to read that the difference between the eq off and eq flat mode was not perceived by some... on certain types of music that were quite obvious...
question...
for months was hoping for a "peq", but the hardware power of the small wiim would allow t it really qualitative treatment???? in what resolution??

Turambar

Yeah the discussion over on head-fi.org is interesting where they’re claiming, if I understand it, that bit perfect output from the WiiM sounds different from bit perfect output from another streamer. I can only think in that case that the flac deciders in the streamers are producing different results, but that doesn’t make sense to …
It's difficult to understand... In a technical sense, of course, but also logically. It seems there are people happy to pay more for the same... Well, that's life I guess.

I have two Bluesounds, and the difference I perceive streaming Qobuz with them and with the Wiim, both connected to external DAC, is exactly zero.

Merifon

-Historically among audiophiles the use of toslink was pointed for decades as less qualitative than spdif aes or st...

have you been able to listen while trying to put dogmas aside from other streamers in comparison

??
;-)
as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sound is also in the ears of the listener...

historically speaking, the quality of TOSLINK transducers has improved. They are no longer the children of a lesser god. With the short distances involved and the current DAC's much better performing in this sense, I think it's not even a problem to worry about...

Seriously and generally speaking, if we are looking for fleeting shades of difference, it is necessary to set up comparison systems that allow instant switching from the same source, the time lost in stopping, disconnecting, reconnecting and restarting, distorts perception and suffers cognitive biases. The aural memory is too short and in that time, the earth has traveled thousands of kilometers, the atmospheric pressure has changed and we are no longer even the same... ;-)

Top Bottom