• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

morillon

Major Contributor
ok..
rme is fantastic..
How many times has it been pointed out to you that the RME will measure exactly the same regardless of input!? There will be no difference in jitter between the optical, coax or USB inputs. Please stop repeating this.

...and from an RME engineer on ASR:

rme is fantastic an destroit problems of jitter
;-)
So the problem is there for others.
we are going forward
"cqfd" in french
demonstration by rme
;-)

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm getting UHD via the WiiM app but still 44.1 casting the Amazon app...Is that what you all are also seeing?

Music1969

Major Contributor
1. It's possible. I send a STOP, which shouldn't be an issue, but might be. Comment out the two lines shown below (the if... and result... lines) with # to disable this:
Python:
if playing == False:
#### Make sure we're really stopped
#if state in ["PAUSED","PAUSED_PLAYBACK"]:
#### Wiim Mini won't turn off optical output LED with Pause, so send hard Stop
#### to turn it off so that RME DAC will switch to USB input
#result = await stop_action.async_call(InstanceID=0,Channel="Master")

displaydatetime(True)
else:

This solved this issue. Thanks !

Now trying to tackle the font size

I don't need bit depth and bitrate for the screen. Just sample rate to see from 10 ft back

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This solved this issue. Thanks !

Now trying to tackle the font size

I don't need bit depth and bitrate for the screen. Just sample rate to see from 10 ft back
Cool. I put that code in many firmware versions ago, so maybe WiiM has solved that particular problem with the optical laser, will check.

You can change this:
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    buf = "%.d bits / %.1f kHz  %s" % (depth,rate,bitrate)
    draw.text((20,450), buf, tcolor, font=fonts[1])

to something like this:
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    draw.text((20,400), bitrate, tcolor, font=fonts[4])

...after you add an additional font in the size you want to the fonts list. Note that the y position (450) will need to be moved up a bit (400?) to accommodate the larger font size. If you look at the Python Pillow docs, you can set the font color to something bolder, if you wish. Again, the text above wraps, so might overwrite...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
ok..
rme is fantastic..

rme is fantastic an destroit problems of jitter
;-)
So the problem is there for others.
we are going forward
"cqfd" in french
demonstration by rme
;-)
No, there isn't a problem there for others. Per @amirm's review, there is one jitter component, which is inaudible at -120dB. You're beating a dead horse. Please stop.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone else have an issue with the app displaying the next song in a playlist instead of the one that's currently playing?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only firmware 352 that was whitelisted before,
So only those with "whitelisting" can use the Amazon App to stream 24/192, do I understand that correctly? Sorry, did that whitelisting come via a request through the app? I get no response to any of my inquiries via the app.

telemike

So only those with "whitelisting" can use the Amazon App to stream 24/192, do I understand that correctly? Sorry, did that whitelisting come via a request through the app? I get no response to any of my inquiries via the app.
That was an older beta. The latest has UHD Amazon from within WiiM app. They are working on casting bugs. Will come later

Music1969

Major Contributor
Cool. I put that code in many firmware versions ago, so maybe WiiM has solved that particular problem with the optical laser, will check.

You can change this:
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    buf = "%.d bits / %.1f kHz  %s" % (depth,rate,bitrate)
    draw.text((20,450), buf, tcolor, font=fonts[1])

to something like this:
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    draw.text((20,400), bitrate, tcolor, font=fonts[4])

...after you add an additional font in the size you want to the fonts list. Note that the y position (450) will need to be moved up a bit (400?) to accommodate the larger font size. If you look at the Python Pillow docs, you can set the font color to something bolder, if you wish. Again, the text above wraps, so might overwrite...

Not pretty but for 10ft and more away it'll do for this coding noob lol

225BC899-401F-4808-8F61-6E8AC035EE46.jpeg

Your original code is perfect, as is, for my desktop setup though. When I'm close at desk I do want to see all the info you have.

For farfield I also increased brightness of cover art but for nearfield your settings are obviously ideal

So now I'll have to get another 7" lol

Thanks heaps for this and your guidance. Was quite fun to try and get the code to work (haven't done any coding since C 15 years ago )

Now I need to save the changes i made to code because I WILL forget how I did all this LOL

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shot in the dark question, anyone using the WiiM Mini with a Denon x3700H receiver? I send a 24/192 signal via optical in but in the app it looks like it senses that the x3700h can't play Hi-Res, so plays 44.1.

Music1969

Major Contributor

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Not pretty but for 10ft and more away it'll do for this coding noob lol

Your original code is perfect, as is, for my desktop setup though. When I'm close at desk I do want to see all the info you have.

For farfield I also increased brightness of cover art but for nearfield your settings are obviously ideal

So now I'll have to get another 7" lol

Thanks heaps for this and your guidance. Was quite fun to try and get the code to work (haven't done any coding since C 15 years ago )

Now I need to save the changes i made to code because I WILL forget how I did all this LOL

View attachment 214013
Couple of things. The lightning bolt at top right means your Pi is unhappy with the power. Probably need a better wall wart. Also, you'll probably want to move the bitrate display down a bit, or any lengthy album names might overwrite it. Always a good idea to fork the project on github, then add your changes to your version.

Yes, it's fun, but I hope some 20-year-old will fork it and make it much better. Retired old farts like me are too dang tired, lol.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, if you have the latest firmware 439 you can play amazon hd/uhd via wiim app. It will cast sd using amazon app as stated on release note. Once everything is sort out, they will release the official firmware that can be both use either wiim or amazon app. Amazon cast works really well and I believe they are just waiting for certification at this time before releasing to general public.

remlemasi

Just received the unit today and updated to 4.6.420439.

Playing audio from iOS via AirPlay (Toslink), everything is output at 44.1kHz (DAC display). Tried Apple Music streaming (track is Lossless 24-bit/48kHz), YouTube app, YouTube via Safari. Is this typical behavior?

Also, tried to initiate Apple Music via an Echo Dot in the same room, but the response is that Apple Music isn’t supported on “this device.” This worked fine with the Echo Link that the WiiM Mini replaced and still works fine on other Echo speakers. I’m guessing this is because WiiM hasn’t yet received approval from Apple to stream direct to the Mini, i.e. must go through iOS, macOS, etc via AirPlay. Is this correct as of today?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shot in the dark question, anyone using the WiiM Mini with a Denon x3700H receiver? I send a 24/192 signal via optical in but in the app it looks like it senses that the x3700h can't play Hi-Res, so plays 44.1.
I'm talking to Denon in the morning and I'm sure they'll just say use Heos for HD

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What we're working on …
Future updates
New Features:
  • EQ to set bass, mid-range, and treble and 10-band parametric EQ

They’re going to add 10 band parametric EQ to this? If the UI is good, includes presets, and the processing resides in the unit rather than the app (i.e. can be applied to normal AirPlay streams as well) that’s going to be killer. Basically it will make a lot of currently pointless desktop DAC/headphone amps finally relevant.

We recently picked one up because one of our AirPort Expresses was getting a bit flakey. This application is not terribly demanding, and it works fine. We have no use for extra apps. AirPlay is fine, much easier to use, and I've long been convinced it's sonically transparent.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just received the unit today and updated to 4.6.420439.

Playing audio from iOS via AirPlay (Toslink), everything is output at 44.1kHz (DAC display). Tried Apple Music streaming (track is Lossless 24-bit/48kHz), YouTube app, YouTube via Safari. Is this typical behavior?

Also, tried to initiate Apple Music via an Echo Dot in the same room, but the response is that Apple Music isn’t supported on “this device.” This worked fine with the Echo Link that the WiiM Mini replaced and still works fine on other Echo speakers. I’m guessing this is because WiiM hasn’t yet received approval from Apple to stream direct to the Mini, i.e. must go through iOS, macOS, etc via AirPlay. Is this correct as of today?
Re Airplay, it’s been discussed several times in the thread and the last I recall (I may be wrong so search the thread and check) is that WiiM are waiting on the OK from Apple for 24/48 for airplay, and that what you’re seeing is just what Airplay does.

Re playing Apple Music thru the WiiM, it could well be that it’s a feature that WiiM/ Amazon need to add to the MRM implementation method they’re using for the WiiM - tbh, it’s not unexpected as even with real echos, Spotify support came later than Amazon Music and other services, with Apple Music lagging behind that. You should use either the feedback route in the WiiM app or via their FAQ/feature request page on their website to ask if Apple Music and similar services will be supported in the manner you’re trying.

Edit: also, I haven’t seen any mention of lossless Apple Music being supported on Echo or Alexa enabled devices, so that may limit things too

Last edited:
Top Bottom