• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

NoWorries

Thanks!
HD is 16/44.1, aka CD
ULTRA HD is 24/44.1 and up, aka hi-res.
I edited that last post. I have found 24/192 now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220621-134252_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-134252_WiiM Home.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 86

imral3

Just noticed after enabling AMHD in settings fixed volume was defeated. I had to enable it again and now all is good.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thanks!
HD is 16/44.1, aka CD
ULTRA HD is 24/44.1 and up, aka hi-res.
So far, everything I've played shows 24 bits. Sometimes 44.1 shows as HD, other times UHD. The bitrate does appear to be greater when it shows UHD.

ccristal

I’ve written a few apps that use OAuth. Requires periodic token refresh, sometimes after just a few minutes. Perhaps they’re not doing the refresh after a period of inactivity? Dunno.

Edit: Poking around with UPnP Tool, PlayQueue/GetUserInfo (Prime), the Amazon Prime OAuth token is given 3600 seconds, or a full hour, before needing to be refreshed. Pretty generous.
The OAuth token declares its own expiration. You can easily check it from the expires_in field.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @Ralph_Cramden

Few questions:

1. With fw 352 when casting from Amazon Music app, if you hit pause does music skip to next track after few seconds for you ? Is there anyway your code can somehow trigger that ? I assume not bur I noticed this didn't happen before for me. But i'll do more testing

2. If you make an update/ improvement to your display, what commands are needed for updates? Could you add a little "updates" section to your github ?

3. Is it easy for me to try to make bit depth and sample rate text size bigger? Say double the current text size

Any general pointers/guidance how I could attempt it ?

Thanks again !

derek13

Can anyone help. I’m on 420439. Within the Wiim App I go to Amazon Music Setting and enable HD/Ultra. Search for an album in Amazon Music within the Wiim App and play it and it still shows 16/44.1. Strangely one track showed briefly as 24/48 but then when I looked again back to 16/44.1. Its definitely listed as an ultra album when viewed in native AmZon Music App. Then another track shows 24/48 but my DAC still shows 44.1

Now fixed. OK here is the story. I had set Quality to best available in the Amazon Music App (the Native app not the one inside WiiM). But when I looked again it had reverted to Standard. Changed it to Best Available and now everything works. Getting Bryan Adams at 24/96 on Wiim App andthe DAC.

Spoke too soon. Everythings gone back to 16/44.1.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hi @Ralph_Cramden

Few questions:

1. With fw 352 when casting from Amazon Music app, if you hit pause does music skip to next track after few seconds for you ? Is there anyway your code can somehow trigger that ? I assume not bur I noticed this didn't happen before for me. But i'll do more testing

2. If you make an update/ improvement to your display, what commands are needed for updates? Could you add a little "updates" section to your github ?

3. Is it easy for me to try to make bit depth and sample rate text size bigger? Say double the current text size

Any general pointers/guidance how I could attempt it ?

Thanks again !
1. It's possible. I send a STOP, which shouldn't be an issue, but might be. Comment out the two lines shown below (the if... and result... lines) with # to disable this:
Python:
         if playing == False:
            #### Make sure we're really stopped
            #if state in ["PAUSED","PAUSED_PLAYBACK"]:
              #### Wiim Mini won't turn off optical output LED with Pause, so send hard Stop
              ####   to turn it off so that RME DAC will switch to USB input
              #result = await stop_action.async_call(InstanceID=0,Channel="Master")

displaydatetime(True)
          else:

2. If anything changes, just ssh in, cd to the wiim directory, and wget the updated script to overwrite:
Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/retired-guy/WiiM-Mini-7-1024X600-Waveshare/main/wiim.py

3. Pretty simple. There's an array of fonts set up, you can append another size to it:
Python:
fonts = []
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/oswald/Oswald-Bold.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/oswald/Oswald-Light.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf', 144) )

Then change this to your desired font (fonts[4] vs fonts[1]):
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    buf = "%.d bits / %.1f kHz  %s" % (depth,rate,bitrate)
    draw.text((20,450), buf, tcolor, font=fonts[1])
You might need a narrower font, though. Also keep in mind that the text above wraps, so in some cases, not often, it might overwrite this line if it's too tall.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
1. It's possible. I send a STOP, which shouldn't be an issue, but might be. Comment out the two lines shown below (the if... and result... lines) with # to disable this:
Python:
         if playing == False:
            #### Make sure we're really stopped
            #if state in ["PAUSED","PAUSED_PLAYBACK"]:
              #### Wiim Mini won't turn off optical output LED with Pause, so send hard Stop
              ####   to turn it off so that RME DAC will switch to USB input
              #result = await stop_action.async_call(InstanceID=0,Channel="Master")

displaydatetime(True)
          else:

2. If anything changes, just ssh in, cd to the wiim directory, and wget the updated script to overwrite:
Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/retired-guy/WiiM-Mini-7-1024X600-Waveshare/main/wiim.py

3. Pretty simple. There's an array of fonts set up, you can append another size to it:
Python:
fonts = []
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/oswald/Oswald-Bold.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/oswald/Oswald-Light.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf', 30) )
fonts.append( ImageFont.truetype('/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf', 144) )

Then change this to your desired font (fonts[4] vs fonts[1]):
Python:
  if rate >0 and depth >0:
    buf = "%.d bits / %.1f kHz  %s" % (depth,rate,bitrate)
    draw.text((20,450), buf, tcolor, font=fonts[1])
You might need a narrower font, though.
Thanks for the tips!

Noob question: what's the ssh command to get to where all this python code lives on the microSD card

sudo nano wiim.py ?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tips!

Noob question: what's the ssh command to get to where all this python code lives on the microSD card

sudo nano wiim.py ?
ssh in as the pi user: ssh [email protected]
cd wiim
ls -al
this should show a list of files, including wiim.py

Since it's "owned" by the pi user, no need for sudo, just
vi wiim.py
or
nano wiim.py

(hardcore 'nix guys use vi or vim, but it's definitely not for noobs, lol).

Couple of things:

to stop the wiim service while you edit the file:
sudo systemctl stop wiim.service

to start it back up:
sudo systemctl start wiim.service

While testing, just start it from the cmdline instead of starting the service, so you will see any errors
./wiim.py

If you overwrite the file again from github, make sure it's executable:
chmod +x wiim.py

To see any errors thrown while running as a service:
sudo journalctl -u wiim.service

Last edited:

AyGee

My experience so far with Amazon Music within the WiiM app:

No inconsistencies with 24/96 and 24/196 tracks.
With 16/44.1 tracks, sometimes HD is displayed correctly and sometimes Ultra HD with 24/44.1 is displayed by mistake.

Depending on the search, it was sometimes also shown the information/title of the next track. Very strange.

Once, the WiiM Mini played a track (in a permanent loop) and was no longer found by the app.
The only way to control the mini again was to switch it off and on again. Afterwards it was found again by the app.

Turambar

So far, everything I've played shows 24 bits. Sometimes 44.1 shows as HD, other times UHD. The bitrate does appear to be greater when it shows UHD.
It looks clear that it's displaying always 24 bits because of a bug. However, it correctly labels HD when it's really 16 bits, and UHD when it's really 24 bits. I have checked with several tracks.

imral3

Can anyone help. I’m on 420439. Within the Wiim App I go to Amazon Music Setting and enable HD/Ultra. Search for an album in Amazon Music within the Wiim App and play it and it still shows 16/44.1. Strangely one track showed briefly as 24/48 but then when I looked again back to 16/44.1. Its definitely listed as an ultra album when viewed in native AmZon Music App. Then another track shows 24/48 but my DAC still shows 44.1

Now fixed. OK here is the story. I had set Quality to best available in the Amazon Music App (the Native app not the one inside WiiM). But when I looked again it had reverted to Standard. Changed it to Best Available and now everything works. Getting Bryan Adams at 24/96 on Wiim App andthe DAC.

Spoke too soon. Everythings gone back to 16/44.1.
After toggling on AMHD HD/UHD in settings it looks like all your previous audio settings (fixed volume, output resolution, etc.) are reset back to default.

Bamyasi

So glad that Amazon HD is now working for many of you, but how does it sound? Noticeably better?
Sound quality is great but app makes huge pauses between tracks, up to 5 seconds here. Pretty much unusable as it is for the kind of music I listen to.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
I have been comparing playing Qobuz via Wiim on Toslink versus RPI4 via USB on the RME ADI-2 DAC for a week now using Audirvana playlists. What I found:

1. An unscientific preference for the RPi4 sound, not by much but a little more clarity to my ear. Both streamers set with EQ off.

2. When using Wiim as the selected streamer in Audirvana (MBP) or the Wiim app it was not unusual for the Audirvana playlist to stall after a few songs while I did not experience the issue with the RPi4.

3. The iPad interface with Wiim is nice as it doesn't require a computer. But it's less functional than Audirvana and less robust.

If I had to choose one unit only? It would be the RPi4. But that doesn't make the Wiim less worthy. The Wiim software is in flux which can lead to random issues as one feature improves and something else accidentally breaks with updates. It will be interesting to see if the occasional stalling playback issues with Audirvana are corrected.
just
we have only mesureament at out of the rme...with usb..
not with toslink...
we can observe in many cases here even significant differences at the output of the same dac according to whether it is usb toslink spdif aes in digital input
maybe this is the case here?
;-)

Attachments

• RME ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 USB Jitter Audio Measurements.png
    RME ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 USB Jitter Audio Measurements.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 80
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 USB Multitone Distortion Audio Measurements.png
    RME ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 USB Multitone Distortion Audio Measurements.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 63

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
just
we have only mesureament at out of the rme...with usb..
not with toslink...
we can observe in many cases here even significant differences at the output of the same dac according to whether it is usb toslink spdif aes in digital input
maybe this is the case here?
;-)
How many times has it been pointed out to you that the RME will measure exactly the same regardless of input!? There will be no difference in jitter between the optical, coax or USB inputs. Please stop repeating this.

The SteadyClock technology of RME's latest products guarantees an excellent performance in all clock modes. Its highly efficient jitter suppression refreshes and cleans up any clock signal, and provides the clock signal as reference clock at the word clock output.

...and from an RME engineer on ASR:

There is no difference between Coax and Optical (or USB). I showcased the jitter measurements in my SteadyClock video on YouTube, using the optical input, and other than ASR also with lots of added jitter on it.

Top Bottom